How Did You Choose?

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
If you really want a big bird, eventually you will end up with one. As long as you do the research and keep these forums handy, and are up for the challenge, i say go for it. Get what you really want!

QuackQuack

Oct 20, 2011
Midwest USA
Parrots
KITTY: Pineapple Green Cheek Conure (2 year old)
BODE: Nanday Conure (5 years old)
KIWI & BLUE: English Budgerigars (RIP after 10 years)
I think to answer the basic question, 'How did we choose?' LOL! Most of us didn't we just got them all AHAHAHAH

vicky2200

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
Parrots
Cockatiels and Parakeets
I decided on parakeets because I was very young so my parents wouldn't let me get a large bird. They said I could have a parakeet or a lovebird. I chose the parakeets because at the time I found the way the lovebirds look unappealing (how they are usually light pastel-ish colors.) So I chose the parakeet. I ended up with 6, 7 if you include the one that died a week after I got it :(

As for how I got cockatiels: A friend found one in her backyard and knew I liked birds. The owner never came forward. I got the second one because the first was plucking and I hoped it would help him stop. It didn't. I have grown to really like cockatiels, not that I ever had anything against them, I just didn't know anything about them before.

If this is your first bird, I would recommend a cockatiel. They are easy to care for (as far as birds go) and make great companions. Chico would stay out of his cage with me all day if I let him.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
I have a decent amount of bird experience, from large Macaws to the small Tiels & Budgies. I currently have a GCC and tomorrow I bring home my dream bird, a Goffins 'Too. I would, based on your criteria, age and experience, a GCC. There's several color mutations you can choose from (personally, the Turquoise ones are my favorite, they're GORGEOUS!) so if the typical GCC coloring isn't appealing, you can choose one of those. These awesome birds have big personalities in tiny bodies, can be independent but are amazing little cuddle bugs. They can be noisy, but not to the point where your neighbors would complain should you ever need to reside in close quarters, such as an apartment. They can lean towards one person in regards to their "favorite", but can be really good family birds. Ours bounces easily between my husband and I. They can be left for several hours, as long as they have plenty of toys, food and are given lots of attention upon your return.

That's just my $2, good luck!!

solobaby

Jul 14, 2011
Parrots
Solo(indian ringneck)-Marley(green cheek conure)- Dobby (cockatiel)
i had a hard time choosing just one and thats why i have 3 , there are 2 more i want but that will wait till i have gotten my current 3 past the terrible 2's and have finished school which will be 2015

osnyder

Sep 26, 2011
Philadelphia
Parrots
Stitch the Blue Crown Conure
I would go for a conure, and of course I'm partial to blue-crowns. They're big enough that you'll feel like you've got a legit parrot with you, and they're very playful and loving, and quite bright. They're not as high-maintenance as cockatoos. If you want a cuddler, get yourself a baby that you can raise after they've been weaned-- you will likely have a best friend forever if you put in the time, which it sounds like you plan to do.

But if you can, start visiting bird stores to explore the choices-- or find a way to be around birds. I didn't really choose my breeds because they were all adopted, but at the same time I knew breeds I was interested in and knew I was not in a place to get anything larger than a medium-sized parrot, for space reasons as well as simply knowing I wasn't experienced enough.

Looking at petfinder is a great way to explore what's out there, also.

Good luck!

OP
jaimmorr

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
osnyder: Thanks for the insight! The past four weekends I have went to a bird store an hour away to visit :) I have a store in town that has birds, but they are all adults and not very well taken care of and pretty nippy. I am going to a bird fair this weekend, yay! My goal is to have chosen a species by this weekend so I can buy toys and possibly a cage at the fair! But... I don't know if that will happen. :(

I see that you have a Meyer's as well as a BCC. What do you find are the differences between them? Is it true that the Meyer's is more like a cat and the BCC a dog? As in, Meyer's just wants to be left alone and the BCC is more cuddly and affectionate?

Thanks to everyone!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts