Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Jessie,african grey(Timneh)
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
Rizzo is turning out to be a great bird (although loud :D) While trying to get Riz out of his cage he always (even though i try to avoid it) gets on top of his cage and then I cant get him off. I am able to pet him, and scratch, and touch his toys and he is fine with all that. But for the life of me i can not get him to step up. I would love to be able to get him to step up so he can come into the family room with us and the other fids but he will not step up. So after about hour or so of trying i feel like im pushing to hard and leave him to play on cage alone.:( Not agressive just wont step up. How do i get him down so he can spend time with us.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
I had the same problem when I first got my amazon.
We ended up buying him a T-stand with wheels on it, bribing him onto the T-stand with food and then wheeling him to other parts of the house.
Often they will go to the top of their cage because they feel safe and getting them to get out of their comfort zone can be a challenge.
SO the T-stand gave Bosley and extension to where he felt safe, we park it right outside his cage and he loves it now.
And Bosley still won't step off his cage for me, but all I have to do is touch the t-stand and he scampers right on.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
that is a common problem I've had with some of my birds, and it drives me nuts.
if they just stepped up I wouldn't have to chase them, but in a perfect world it doesn't work that way.
my GCC Ninja does not want to step up when on top of his cage, nor some of my cockatiels, but they just fly off. somewhat frustrating
what I do now is I take a wooden perch and he'll either step up on it(but that is rare) cause I usually have to guide him towards me with it, then he steps up, on my finger
He just doesn't want to go back into his cage, he won't accept any treats either the monkey.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Try putting your arm in front of him [ankle level] or a little higher. Then with your other arm go under his tail and push up .As your doing this say step up.

Chor22

Dec 2, 2012
Hi, it should be a fairly natural behaviour especially if he's not afraid of you and you're able to touch him but....try as you have your hand under his belly at the base of his legs, give a little push up but also hold a treat in front of his face, a little bit out of reach so he has to step up to get it. And say step up or up of course.
How does he get on top? Is it one with the top open? I would make sure you don't let him out unless he steps up and you are the one taking him out (as long as this won't cause him any stress).
It is already going to be a difficult behaviour to break because he sees this cage as his home, his territory, it's safe. You do need to try break it because he could get more territorial and aggressive about it in time. And sitting on top of a cage can also be a "I'm the boss" behaviour because he's up higher than you. Cheeky!

:)

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
lol, Rosie also likes to be on top of her cage and would much rather chew on the wall than come down. she only gets up there when she's being sneaky haha

Try putting something really yummy in his cage and say "go back in your cage", and every time you see him going back in his cage on his own tell him "you going back in your cage good boy!!!!". That's what I did with Rosie and she'll go back in usually when I tell her, but at her own sweet pace haha. She also knows if she doesn't do it and waits I'll put a treat in her food bowl for her to go and get XD Her cage is so big I can't really reach her when she's at the back rubbing her beak on the wall.

ParkersMom

Jan 18, 2013
Nashville TN
Parrots
Parker male BF Amazon hatched 5/2/2012
Charlie unsexed BF Amazon hatched 1994?
Juno Female BH Caique Hatched 6-3-2013
Keiko does that some times and I have to use my (I mean it) voice she will look at me funny and usually will step up...lol

OP
L

luv4scjjt

Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
Thanks for all the input guys. Although I have tried these things i will continue to do them. I try very hard to keep him in his cage till he steps up and the last 2 days i had to leave him in his cage and he had no out of cage time. I can't help but feel like I need to make him step up from now on or he can't come out. I just am starting to feel bad because in 2 days' i havent been able to let him out for play time. Although today was a step...he didnt try to push his way through me to get to the top of the cage. He still didnt step up but he didnt try to push by me iether. It's a start. lol

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
IMHO sometimes forcing them is not the best way It's about getting them to want to do it.
I gave my amazon choice and let him come out on his own terms. He now comes to where I touch and flies to me.
Just a thought.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I can't always get my macaw out when I want him to either. As soon as he sees an almond, he drops everything and lifts his foot to be picked up. You just have to bribe him I guess. My boy is not allowed on top of his cage. That is a rule started since we brought him home.

OP
L

luv4scjjt

Sep 26, 2012
upstate ny
Parrots
Bayshing,harlaquin macaw
Fawx,greenwing macaw
Rizzo,greenwing macaw
Polly,catalina macaw
I have tried real hard for the last few days to not let him on top of his cage. So far so good. He is starting to get the idea that i wont let him up there. Still wont step up but I can pet and play with him just not step up. Last night I sat on the floor and played with a toy and waited to see what he would do. After about 10 min he came down most of the way to play to. But of course he still didnt step up. lol.

Most Reactions