how do i take my untame cockatiel out of the cage?

parroter

Feb 11, 2017
whenever i try getting it to step up onto my hand and take it out it just flies around the cage and if I get even close to it it bites so bloody hard and makes my finger bleed. Anyone able to help with this problem?

thommo78

Dec 15, 2016
whenever i try getting it to step up onto my hand and take it out it just flies around the cage and if I get even close to it it bites so bloody hard and makes my finger bleed. Anyone able to help with this problem?

Unfortunately a lot of time and patience is needed for an untamed bird. Best thing I've found is to keep the cage covered and put your hand just inside not trying to catch it just in there. While talking to it at the same time. It will eventually accept your hand as friendly. Just be prepared for it to take a while.

I have babies that I've handled from birth up to 4 weeks old every day. Once out of the box they won't come to me or land on me but i can catch them without being bitten.

They need to build up a trust with you also. Depending on how they've been treated before you makes a difference also.

I hope you get there with the little one.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

OP
P

parroter

Feb 11, 2017
okay thanks alot i will do this

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
One of my cockatiels (cheeky) is not hand tame. Because of this I don't let him out of the cage very often.
What works for me is opening the cage door and touching/tapping the bottom edge of doorway while I ask him if he wants to come out.
It's getting him to go back in that's the problem. I have found the handle end of a wooden spoon (for cooking) works well, He will step up on that and let me put him back.
Remember these birds are smart. they will learn that out means freedom and flying and Home means security and food/water.
texsize

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Great advice above!
Good luck.
And good for you, for reaching out for help.

YUMgrinder

Mar 20, 2017
Cheyenne, WY
Parrots
-Jazz, Normal Grey Cockatiel /

-Chessie, Pearl Cockatiel /

-Perry, Black capped Conure /

-JoJo, Pineapple GCC /

3 little busy Budgies
I hope things are going well since your last post. When I got peanut (sun conure) 3 days ago he would bite so hard when I put my hand in the cage. It was a struggle to get him to go anywhere but my shoulder or his cage. His beak is a like a vice.

I really think what helped him come around was the fact that when he did bite or was threatening it I would just move slowly and wouldn't flinch. I let him bite to show him I didn't care for his threats and him biting was not going to get a reaction out of me. 3 days later and he doesn't bite hard anymore (for the most part). I guess it's weird advice to say "let him/her bite" but I feel like it worked lol.

Most Reactions