How do you keep Parrot's room fresh?

tanyamitchellrn

Nov 17, 2017
Northwest Illinois
Parrots
Kaya Cockatoo, EJ Amazon, Pepper African Grey, Casey IRN, Glen Sun Conure
Diaper genie in bird room? Iā€™m not sure... I have 5 birds that have their own room (but sleep in individual cages at night). Iā€™m wanting to keep the smell down but not sure what type of can to put in their room. I know itā€™s more expensive than newspaper, but I can go 3 -4 days without cleaning cages when I line the bottoms with puppy pads. But when I toss them, itā€™s not quite garbage day so I was thinking of getting a diaper genie.
Others who have multiple birds (and work full time) how do you keep your parrot room fresh?
Contents: Cockatoo, African Grey, Amazon, Indian Ringneck, Cockatiel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Diaper genie in bird room? Iā€™m not sure... I have 5 birds that have their own room (but sleep in individual cages at night). Iā€™m wanting to keep the smell down but not sure what type of can to put in their room. I know itā€™s more expensive than newspaper, but I can go 3 -4 days without cleaning cages when I line the bottoms with puppy pads. But when I toss them, itā€™s not quite garbage day so I was thinking of getting a diaper genie.
Others who have multiple birds (and work full time) how do you keep your parrot room fresh?
Contents: Cockatoo, African Grey, Amazon, Indian Ringneck, Cockatiel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beside regular cleaning. Get a IQ air health pro air purifier, It will help with dust and smell big time. It has a large several pounds of activated carbon filter that does wonders and helps protects against chemicals, odors & gases. There are others on the market as well, but the IQ Air is one of the best and does larger spaces with multiple birds better then most.

Next question is what are you using to clean and how? Puppy pads are not good, use standard newspaper as now uses soy ink and is safer to use.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
diaper genies have scented bags in some cases, so do be sure to get a non-scented variety if you go that route. Personally, I think a small trash can near the cages and daily liner changes works---but I have stopped using liners and I wipe down the bottom with F10 now (due to some hormonal shredding that was taking place). I probably need to transition back to that though because I am worried about rust long-term. Either way, if I am going to be gone for part of the day, I clean the grate and catch tray daily. Weekends are a bit more slack, as she has little incentive to go down there and investigate (since she is out and about).

I run a non iodizing/non ozone producing filter at all times, and I have doors that block her room off from the rest of the house (that I can open and close as needed, even though she is in a main room).

I also wash water dishes with soap daily..

My biggest struggle= woodchips from toys all over the floor around the mats....A Roomah (sp?) might take care of that but it probably would scare her....

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Smell? From spoiled food? I understand the mess parrots can make :) but I wouldn't keep stuff around it will draw bugs big time.
I use newspaper, and it goes out in the trash at least twice a week, if I don't do daily. But I remove all food daily, and remove the chop after a couple of hours. I don't notice any smell??

Most Reactions

Latest posts