How do you store your Harrison's?

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
Hello all!

I read on the Harrison's bag that the food should be stored in the bag. Any reason why a dark, air tight container won't work as well? I like to mix it with some Roudybush and some dried veggis and chillies, right now I mix everything separately from three different bags. I was just thinking of ways to cut down on time by putting it all into one container and just scoop from that.

I wouldn't want the freshness or quality to dissipate if I put it in another container other than the original bag though. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you very much!

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
I store them all in the freezer, not in the original bags, because their bags suck. I use 4 different types of pellet, mix them and store them all in one good ziplock. :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I use the Vittles Vault containers. One large one for seeds (which currently has a mixture of seeds in it) and one small one for pellets.

Gamma Vittles Vault Plus Airtight Pet Food Storage Container | PetFoodDirect

Also use this brand to store dog food in (due to an issue with ants - which have yet to discover the bird room!)

Gamma Vittles Vault Stackable Pet Food Storage Container | PetFoodDirect

Although the cats get a different storage container. (due to the location of where it's stored)

Van Ness Plastic Pet Food Storage Container | PetFoodDirect

OP
kiwiS

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Wow! Those Gamma Vittles Vaults look great!! I'm definitely getting one of those for Kiwi and my little doggy Milo!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
They are nice! Just be sure to find out approximately how many lbs of seed each container will hold! The containers typically hold more bird seed than dog food...

I got a small one that said it could hold 36# of bird seed (aka pellets! - 30# for dogs) and another that said it could hold 60# of bird seed! (about 50# of dog food) It really helps to have a distributor near you!

Here's the Manufacturers website sizing chart... not helpful, but if you can view the large images you *might* be able to see the fine print on the container labels to see how many pounds it holds.
Gamma2 Air Tight Pet Food Containers

The one I got for my dog came from Costco, and I bought the other two from PetFoodDirect since we have a local warehouse....

I believe Petco and Petsmart also sells them. Not sure about Petsupermarket or other similar chains. These are somewhat pricey and commonly sold for dogs, so you may be able to find them in a pet store that sells dog related items. Or... you can always buy them off the internet!

OP
kiwiS

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Thanks Monica!!! I found a Jr size one - 5 lbs so its the perfect size

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJON4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1B7M9EQGNCLQA]Amazon.com: Vittles Vault: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Thank you so much for introducing this product! I"m getting a second one to store my doggy's food for travel. So convenient!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
I haven't even looked at the little ones! Love how they made the scoop attach to the lid! (since it wont fit inside the container... lol)

I must thank my job as a "dog wrangler" for the use of these! :D

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i dont use Harrisons(i use roudybush) but i mix a small amount of seed mix into the pellets, i pour about half the bag into a pitcher and half into a zip lock container and put the zip lock into the freezer. the pitcher is used up before it starts to get old, and once that is out i just thaw the frozen food overnight and by the next morning its warm. pour into the pitcher, but new bag once that is out and repeat :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts