How long can I leave my parrot alone at home for?

yoelleoy

Mar 6, 2017
Sweden
Parrots
"Jojo" Lovebird
So a situation has popped up where I won't be at home and no one else will be at home. He would be alone approximately for 29 hours. He has 2 seed feeders, a water bowl and a water feeder. Would he be alright or is it a very bad idea?

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
for one day I don't think it would be a problem. Just make sure food and water is stocked with more foraging toys than usual so they don't get bored. I would also partially cover the cage so they can go to a dark spot for sleep and not get disturbed as easily int he morning

you may have to deal with a sulky bird when you get back though

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
Tough call, I'm very averse to the feeling of abandonment with my CAG. I would also suggest if you must leave that long, keep a radio on and maybe even the TV (but with the volume off). Also agree on paritally covering cage for that long of an absence.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
When my hubby and I go on a weekend trip (Friday night to Sunday afternoon, usually), we have a trusted friend come over and refill the bird's food and water bowls at least once. That way they get a little interaction and fresh food!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I wouldn't foresee it being an issue. I would, however be sure there is a backup water dish, light left on and be sure a friend or family member or pet sitter would be available to come feed them/change water should your trip be extended longer than 29/30 hours. We've done this before, and so have my parents (who are long time parrot owners) without any issues. I cannot stress though how important it is to have someone available and ready to come over though should you not return home. It's best to arrange to call them as soon as you return to confirm they do not need to come over. That way if you are delayed and out of contact or if you get in an accident or whatever, someone knows and will come care for the bird(s).

Most Reactions

Latest posts