How long should you keep the Macaw out of it's cage per day?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Okay, well that explains it perfectly then. She's honing her craft on the other bird cages... :D

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
I know this is an older post but can't figure out how to start a new one. I have had my macaw for a few days. He is a wonderful man. Loves scratches and loving. He is out all afternoon from 2 til dark. I have 2 dogs and one is deaf. I try to get nemo, the macaw, to 'come down' but m he still isn't sure about the dogs. If I shut them out, the deaf dog makes a and nemo is upset. How long will it take for nemo to get use to the dogs?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Hi, to answer your question about starting your own thread:

1) You've already seen the list of forums, and the MACAWS section...

2) Look above all the previous threads in the section (right above the thick black line) and off to the left hand side you will find a small black button with a turquoise square on it, saying NEW THREAD. Click there and you're ready to go. You'll see a space for a title and your post. I know that NEW THREAD button is REALLY SMALL lol. :)

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I know this is an older post but can't figure out how to start a new one. I have had my macaw for a few days. He is a wonderful man. Loves scratches and loving. He is out all afternoon from 2 til dark. I have 2 dogs and one is deaf. I try to get nemo, the macaw, to 'come down' but m he still isn't sure about the dogs. If I shut them out, the deaf dog makes a and nemo is upset. How long will it take for nemo to get use to the dogs?

Here you go, this is a little tutorial. :)
http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/3063-how-start-your-own-thread.html

When I brought my GW home, he was TERRIFIED of my dogs. As soon as he would only see one, he'd scream bloody murder. I'd say it took him a good week to 10 days before he got used to them. :)

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
What eventually happens (and it happens as soon as the bird gets used to the dogs and vice-versa) is the bird will start calling the dogs, and interacting with them...

Our macaws actually called the stupid dogs and told them to come, and to sit. And they did. Told them they were good boys. Dropped food from their bowls to them....

Suddenly the dogs love the bird, and the bird loves the dogs...

Cats?! Not so much!

clofromco

Oct 17, 2014
colorado
Parrots
Scarlet macaw
How funny birdman!! Nemo is now coming down as of yesterday. He still isn't sure about the dogs but is trusting me to keep him safe. Huge progress. Thank you all for info. Still learning and loving this man.

Brandan02

Jul 24, 2023
Parrots
Maccaw
My macaw is 9 months old. We tor her at 4/5 months. She was out all day when we got her for about 3 months when.... one day she was out here cage in our basement. We came home and the sprinkler was runnjng. One sprinkler head. Ahe must had grabbed it playing and flodded the basement and caused over 20 k in damage. It scared us to death to not only let her out the cage but because when we came home she was literally sitting in the water still coming down. We caged her for about a month and were so sad because we saw the aggressiveness but were to scared to let her out so we receently sold her to a good home. We miss her so much

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
No offense friend Brandan02, but parrots should never be left out of cage unattended. Especially a large one, like a macaw. You have seen the results. Personally, I even hate to go to the restroom for a bit, when Salty is out of cage. He is a well behaved young Amazon, but unattended, who knows what he could get into. Aside from destroying woodwork or priceless musical instruments we have lying around, the chance of him finding an electrical wire irresistible is too much for us. I am sorry that you felt you had to give your macaw up, I am sure you miss her.

Most Reactions

Latest posts