How much fruit?

drveunutz

Dec 13, 2015
Richmond Hill, NY
Parrots
african grey (Gizmo)..umbrella cockatoo (Wacko RIP)...military macaw (Rowdy)...blue fronted amazon (cookie RIP)
how much fruit should i let the bird have a bowl a slice, should ibdehydrate it? i have a dehydrator and i grinder becausei make my own hermit crab food.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
No need to dehydrate, unless you're looking for ways to store them longer. :)

Vegetables are actually more important than fruit (IMO). A couple of grapes a day should be enough, mixed with plenty of other fresh things.

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
About half of my birds' diet is veggies, with another 10% or so being fruit, depending on what's in season. It can be as little as 30% veggies with 30% fruit some weeks when I get good stuff on sale or in season like apples, oranges, berries, etc. I have bags of frozen fruit in the freezer that I'll incorporate into chop mixes as well. The rest is a combo of pellets and seeds(dry, not sprouted, that's in with veggies) and nuts, and whatever other treats they get.

TokiesMom

Nov 10, 2015
Media
Copala,Sinaloa, Mexico
Parrots
1 baby peach front conure, named Jackie.
I try veggies.....Tokie nibbles then drops.....but she LOVES apples.....so we give her that, when we want to keep her occupied, to clean the cage.....I was eating a raison bagel today.....I shared....she loved, but DID NOT like the cream cheese....she cleaned and cleaned her beak, but then ate 2 more pieces of just plain bagel!!!!I do give her a piece of what ever veggie we are eating, before I cook it.....we are still in the "getting to know each other" process!!!!

Most Reactions