so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I just came back from a visit to my local pet store. They had an African Grey for the first time.
It looked like the smaller type of AG and they said it was about 6 months old.
I was told it came from a household that had a dog and the dog was causing the bird to pluck it's feathers so they were giving up the bird.
I would have given up the dog!!.

I am wondering what would be a reasonable price for a 6 month old AG in southern California ? I have never seen one for sale that was not a scam.
It is VERY friendly, they let me hold it for a bit and it did not want me to stop scratching his head/neck (just like my 2 friendly zons).
I wish I had taken a picture of it, I may go back Sunday and take a quick picture to post it here.
texsize
PS
they were trying to decide between $1500 and $2000. For that price I would think you could get a macaw.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Perhaps the bird is a Timneh? They are smaller and darker gray with dull red tails.

The price range seems high for an AG, particularly with less than perfect feathering. Not that the appearance would stop me, but should have a bearing on the price. There are plenty of pet stores specializing in birds in SoCal.

If you REALLY want this bird, doing a bit of pricing research may be of benefit. Especially helpful will be comparisons from similar brick and mortar stores as opposed to CL and other venues. OTOH, if they don't have many grays, having this friendly bird on hand may not give them incentive to adjust the price.

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I paid 1400$ for my newly hatched Perjo last January (Ohio), she was 8 weeks old.

Marileen

Aug 31, 2016
Netherlands
Parrots
Harry-Male-African Grey born in 2000
Toon-Male-African Grey born in 2001
Bob-Male-Budgie born in 2014
I just came back from a visit to my local pet store. They had an African Grey for the first time.
It looked like the smaller type of AG and they said it was about 6 months old.
I was told it came from a household that had a dog and the dog was causing the bird to pluck it's feathers so they were giving up the bird.
I would have given up the dog!!.

I am wondering what would be a reasonable price for a 6 month old AG in southern California ? I have never seen one for sale that was not a scam.
It is VERY friendly, they let me hold it for a bit and it did not want me to stop scratching his head/neck (just like my 2 friendly zons).
I wish I had taken a picture of it, I may go back Sunday and take a quick picture to post it here.
texsize
PS
they were trying to decide between $1500 and $2000. For that price I would think you could get a macaw.

Here in the Netherlands, you pay at the time about $1200

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The idea of having a grey is hard to let go of. I feel sorry for the bird in question, already moved out of one home and now in a pet shop with lots of activity and no security.

It's not a case of shopping around to get the "best deal". It's more what I might consider to counter offer in price with. The store knows me as I go there on a regular biases. Perhaps they would consider the wellbeing of the bird over making the maximum profit.

Thanks' for the feedback.
texsize

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Seems you really connected with this bird. If you have the ability to do so, may be a decision you regret not making. I get the impression you may go back sunday for a picture and come home with a bird:)

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Seems you really connected with this bird. If you have the ability to do so, may be a decision you regret not making. I get the impression you may go back sunday for a picture and come home with a bird:)
:D LOL.
If I go there without bringing my wife along it's a possibility. The funny thing is I did not see it there until she pointed it out to me.
But at this point the bird is new in the store and they are not ready to sell this minuet. They want to keep eye on it to make sure it's ok.

I specifically asked if they intended to take it to a vet for a checkup and they said no. If it was me I would not sell a bird in that condition if I could not offer proof it was healthy. + the did not have it separated from the other birds they are selling:eek:.

I gave them my name and PH# so they know I am interested.
texsize

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh I want to win the lottery so bad, just to open a huge avairy with a small house attached. And I would go from pet shop to pet shop and give every bird who seemed to be needing some extra love a new home.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
I don't know how pricing is in California, but in upstate New York, rehomed Greys generally are priced in the $800 to $1200 range, usually with cage and toys included. Hand-fed baby Greys, without cage, sell for $1400-$1800.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Oh I want to win the lottery so bad, just to open a huge avairy with a small house attached. And I would go from pet shop to pet shop and give every bird who seemed to be needing some extra love a new home.

I have very nearly had the same thought.
Win lottery.
Open Avian pet shop.
Don't sell a single bird. LOL
I would be willing to sell cages, toys, and pet supplies.

But there are parrots I would not want to have.
Pet shop has a cage full and I mean FULL of different Conures. Don't get me wrong I think they are beautiful birds and I HATE seeing them crammed all together in a small cage. But I don't like their high pitched screeching.
I would not have a cockatoo for my own reasons, not that I have anything against them.
And as beautiful as a macaw is I could not deal with that huge beak and the room that they would require.

But there are 2 birds I have on my list of "do almost anything" for.
1 is a AG.
2 is a Bronze wing Pionus.
This is the first time I have run across one But my mind is nowhere near made up.;)
texsize

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
pictures as promised

ok here are 2 pictures of the AG I took this morning on of his front and one of his back.
I will also include a pic of the conure's cage.
It would not be so overcrowded if they sold them at a reasonable price.
They wan $2000 for the AG. I want the bird but that's just too much.

texsize

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Sounds like a Timneh to me Tex.. Smokey was a Timneh,and I got her from a pet store,she was also wild caught,about 6 months old,and I paid $300 for her,but lets not forget,that was almost 30 years ago :eek:

When she passed,and before I adopted Jonesy,I was looking for another Smokey and found a breeder in NY who had babies (Timneh's) and she was asking $1200. I talked her down to $900 :p after laying it on THICK about Smokes passing,being with me for so long,etc etc.

I know pet stores charge an ARE and LEG for their animals,period. I mean,my local ALLPETS wants $249 for a young 'tiel,where I got BB from a breeder for $150.

BUT,as we all know, there is NO price you can put on "love" :rolleyes: :D

Jim

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Re: pictures as promised

ok here are 2 pictures of the AG I took this morning on of his front and one of his back.
I will also include a pic of the conure's cage.
It would not be so overcrowded if they sold them at a reasonable price.
They wan $2000 for the AG. I want the bird but that's just too much.

texsize

Ya, that's a Congo Grey..poor guy is plucked silly :eek: and those poor conures all stuffed in a cage together. Makes me nauseous!
$2k is wayyyyy too much for that poor guy,and at that price,I'll betcha the farm,he is going to be there a lot longer than he deserves.
Maybe in a week or two,when the find they can't "get rid of him",you can offer an acceptable price between both of you,and with them knowing you are a regular customer there,if they have ANY concern over that birds health and well-being they could/would make a deal with you.

Good luck!

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Re: pictures as promised

Ya, that's a Congo Grey..poor guy is plucked silly :eek: and those poor conures all stuffed in a cage together. Makes me nauseous!
$2k is wayyyyy too much for that poor guy,and at that price,I'll betcha the farm,he is going to be there a lot longer than he deserves.
Maybe in a week or two,when the find they can't "get rid of him",you can offer an acceptable price between both of you,and with them knowing you are a regular customer there,if they have ANY concern over that birds health and well-being they could/would make a deal with you.

Good luck!

Jim

Agree with every word and sentiment, Jim. Congo Greys are not rare in SoCal, and that Conure Cage is beyond overcrowded.

I don't know this store and don't wish to seem judgmental, but I've seen my share of local shops. This one can and should do better.

GloryCK

Jun 13, 2016
planet earth
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Peridot hatch date 4-21-16. nine budgies
Yep, thats a Congo Grey. A friend of mine taught me the best way to tell them apart is that the Timneh has a cream beak and maroon tail and a Congo has a black beak and red tail. Good Luck!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Aww that Grey needs a lot of love and hard work, poor boy. But that is way too much. WHen will shops learn that the animals are not the thing that brings in steady income. Well cared for animals at a reasonable price, and lots and lots of toys nd foods and perches and cages will bring in more then a killing on one stressed parrot.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Thanks for all your replies and support.
It could be the shop is trapped to a certain extent. They had to have paid something to the original owner and now feel they have to make xx $ profit.
The longer the bird is in their care the more $ spent on it's upkeep. Better to sell it quicker at a lower profit that keep it 6 months feeding and caring for it.
I tried to explain that I could give it a good home and take it out of the stressful environment of the store. Help it start healing sooner.
I don't think they feel that a store environment IS stressful.
sigh...
I will try to go back so I can talk directly to the owner.
I have never asked this before.. Please Pray for my success and the birds eventual healing weather I am the eventual owern or not.
Thanks
Texsize,W

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
They're never going to sell it at that price. The bird store I shop at frequently has young CAGs in good condition that sell for about $1200. If they get in a bird with issues they drop the price by a few hundred or more.

(I'm in San Diego)

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
short video I shot at the store.
bird is soooo friendly.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_fX12AKw8s"]AG Movie - YouTube[/ame]

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

What a wonderfully friendly and affectionate Grey. You know how they are often so aloof, particularly with so many folks walking by each day.

Your best chance is to appeal directly to the owner and hope for a compromise. If the price were a bit too high they may be hoping to wait a while in hopes of snagging a buyer, but $2K is almost irrational in the SoCal area. Please give it your best shot and be prepared to be a little flexible if possible. If not, let the owner know of your deep and continued interest; they may be testing the waters and become more realistic as the months pass.

Regardless of outcome, I hope this Grey is welcomed into a deserving home. Preferably yours!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts