How normal is this?

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
Eloy is following the light outside and now he goes to bed at 16.00.
Then he sleeps until 07.00-08.00 in the morning, thats 15-16 hours sleep every night.
In December if this continues he will go to sleep 15.00. (or earlier)
And wake up 09.00, and thats 18 H sleep every night.
None of my parrots had ever done that before, (this is my first Pionus) but I have never had such a young bird before and perhaps next year he will not be following the light outside? ( I hope not..:()

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
I dont know if its normal or not, but that does seem like a lot of sleep. Hope someone can help.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Not so sure how much this helps but...

Our African Brown Head seems to follow the sun, wants to sleep as the sun goes down and get up when it comes up. We try and socialize with her in the evening, but she doesn't want to be out of her cage when it is dark( we have lamps on ) It is just the way she is.

The Amazon on the other hand will stay up as late as we let him, couldn't care less if it's dark outside. Like a naughty teen LOL

OP
E

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
My African Brown headed didn't follow the sun. She go to bed at 21.00 every night.
Perhaps this is so individual?
I have done the same thing you have, try to keep him up, but that's not working for me either.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Your probably right, I haven't heard of it so it may be an individual bird trait, not species related.
I imagine you could try a full spectrum light if you wanted Eloy to stay up.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
My birds typically follow the sun, and get between 9-14 hrs of sleep, depending upon the time of year. Only Charlie, mitred conure, enjoys interaction after dark. The tiels will hiss at me, although Casey I can win over most times with the promise of scritches!

I'd say it's rather normal, although you may be interested in investing in some full spectrum lighting with a timer/dimmer on it so it's lighter inside the house for longer?

OP
E

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
I'd say it's rather normal, although you may be interested in investing in some full spectrum lighting with a timer/dimmer on it so it's lighter inside the house for longer?
Thanks! :)
I already have this lightning, but I can buy some more and give it a try!

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
My IRN demanded to go to sleep when it was dark, to the put she would climb two sets of stairs to get to her cage as the sun sets. My Alex will try and stay up as late as possible, and use any source of light (lamp, cellphone) as an excuse as it's time to play. They both live in India and are closely related, so all I can guess is that it must be an individual thing.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Just for comfort, u can give the Eloy's a-vet a call and run it by him/her.

OP
E

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
My Alex will try and stay up as late as possible, and use any source of light (lamp, cellphone) as an excuse as it's time to play.
Thats so funny and cute! :)

Just for comfort, u can give the Eloy's a-vet a call and run it by him/her.
Yes I can, they already know who I am.. :54: (No that wasn't me that took my parrot to the vet because he was so tired, of course he is tired sad the vet, he is i moulting. :p)

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Mango is molting and he is extra sleepy and cuddly. He hates going to bed, but he takes a lot more naps during the day. He seems to save his energy for the evenings. Does Eloy play hard all day? I imagine Mango sleeps the same amount of time, but he does it more intermittently. Dont feel bad, I have the vet on speed dial. I also called when I first brought Mango home because he was so tired and it was just from the stress of the move. Im new to parrots so I really depend on vet calls!

OP
E

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
Often Eloy plays all day long, but not after bath and some day he is more calmer if we have had a hard day before. I think he is acting normal in daytime. He is absolute not sick. I study all my birds carefully when they don't see me.

Most Reactions