how to attach natural wood perches

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
hey guys. i just got some awsome wood for perches but dont know exactly how to attach them to the cage. i know what to do with the washers and wings nuts to hold it on. but what kind of a bolt do you use? how do you keep it from coming out when you unscrew the wingnut?

Pookamama

Jul 10, 2012
Oregon, USA
Parrots
Pepper, a Timneh African Grey
Depends on your bird. My bird will only chew paper and certain kinds of wood. So I attached ours with zip ties. it was my plan to use bolts and washers and such, but she hasn't messed with the zip ties at all.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
It all depends for what type of bird. Zip ties work GREAT for my Amazons as they don't mess with them, but my Macaw makes it a hobby of snapping them in less than one tenth of a second. His natural perches are literally jammed in between the cage bars. :eek:

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
ill see if he bothers zip ties when i get him. thansk guys!

kitkat135

Jul 23, 2012
Georgia
Parrots
Maggie - Blue Crown Conure
I used a half screw-half bolt. I don't have the package otherwise I'd tell you the actual name. I went to Home Depot and said I need one of the things that you screw into wood on one side and has a bolt on the other. Of course he laughed and rolled his eyes, but I gave up caring a long time ago. :D

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
Im not sure which direction your cage bars go but can you notch the ends to fit the bars???

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
You can find the bolts you need at a good hardware store. They're threaded for nut on one end and wood screw threads on the other. They even have them in SS , you'll need a couple of "fender washers " also to clamp to the cage bars. About 2.50 in SS for every thing. A cheaper choice and what i use , is a good decking screw with a finish washer and a large fender washer, about .50 .

Mudkips

May 6, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Birdy the Green Cheek Conure
When I bought Birdy's cage it came with four food and water bowls and the rings that you use to hook the bowls into the side of the cage.
I only needed two of the rings so I used the other two for holding Birdy's branches in place.

83242071.jpg

Here's a pic of one of the rings around his bowl and another ring holding a branch.

It was going to be way too hard to explain with just words. :p

sarafigal

Aug 31, 2012
Media
Nashville, TN
Parrots
Queequeg (rescued BFA, 34)
Winston (rescued CAG, 25)
Cyrus (adopted GCC, 2)
Houdini, Peeper, and Little Blue--the Budgie Trio
Mudkips: What kind of branch is this? Do you treat it in any way before attaching it to the cage? I've read (as a new bird person) that salvaged branches from outdoors need to be cleaned, baked, sterilized, and what not, to ensure that various bugs and bacteria aren't transferred to the birdy...

Alisana

May 31, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Yuki - Snow white budgie; Luna - Blue budgie; Pocket - Hahn's Macaw
I've seen breeder facilities use something like this:

404-080.jpg

They hook onto the cage and the log sits in it. Just make sure you get yourself one from a proper bird store - a few of the ebay sellers were making them with dodgy metal. =\

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
I used a half screw-half bolt. I don't have the package otherwise I'd tell you the actual name. I went to Home Depot and said I need one of the things that you screw into wood on one side and has a bolt on the other. Of course he laughed and rolled his eyes, but I gave up caring a long time ago. :D

They're called "Hanger Bolts" I couldn't remember the name, had to look on one of our packages! :rolleyes:.

Great for making perches.

If you use washers make sure they are not zinc plated (galvanized),

We use all stainless steel, including the hanger bolt. Might be a bit of over kill but prefer to err on the side of safety.

Most Reactions

Latest posts