How to choose our caique

CaiqueBlessed

Oct 28, 2014
Northern VA
Parrots
Phoenix-a White Belly Caique-who was hatched Sept 2014.
We have a deposit down on a 7 week old WB caique and the DNA test has not come back at this time. So here is the question...how do we pick out our caique out of a clutch of 3? I was told at this age they really don't have a personality. I have read that generally the caique picks you, not you pick out the caique.

I will admit that I was drawn to the youngest-who was still very vocal and kept climbing up on my chest and shoulder. The other two climbed over myself and the kids but were much more mellow. But they all were really sweet.

We are not concerned about the sex of the bird. So how do we choose or how will we know the one that chooses us? Here is a photo of all three of the babies after they climbed up my shoulder/arm.

Thank you for all your advise, comments, and suggestions!

Attachments

• IMG_1873.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 298

EAI

Jul 25, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Parrots
Budgerigar: Arrow, Esther, Kratos, Cora, Ducky.

Lovebird: Izzy, Gizmo.
Oh no the eyes ! They are all so cute and huggable! I have no clue on picking Caique babies due to where I am-I haven't been able to meet any or see one in person.

I'm not sure about the general traits between the two genders but that's something to consider, especially if it ends up causing a difference in their social development. (Ie, getting a male to find out he's vicious and having him stay in his cage most of the time).

Another thing worth considering is egg bounding. During the breeding season the female may start laying eggs which can become worrisome when it's done in copious amounts. This can cause the hen to have an egg stuck and would require an emergency visit.

OP
C

CaiqueBlessed

Oct 28, 2014
Northern VA
Parrots
I'm not sure about the general traits between the two genders but that's something to consider, especially if it ends up causing a difference in their social development. (Ie, getting a male to find out he's vicious and having him stay in his cage most of the time).

Another thing worth considering is egg bounding. During the breeding season the female may start laying eggs which can become worrisome when it's done in copious amounts. This can cause the hen to have an egg stuck and would require an emergency visit.

This is why we are not concerned about the sex. I have read that males can be aggressive but as long as we are consistent in our reaction/behavior and in reading his body cues that we can mitigate much of that.

I have read about egg bounding and I admit I am worried about it. Then how to remove the egg. I have also read/heard that they can very hormonal just as the males.

punkindave

Apr 9, 2013
Media
Albums
Bethlehem, PA
Parrots
Budgie Niles, Rascal RBC-2001, Jake "footloose" CAG-2015, Butchie Triton-1988, Neyteri "Chatterbox" CAG, and the "Squeak Squad" (4 Caiques) ScooterPie 8/12, Skittles 4/13, Chica 2006, Ringo 2009
They DO have personalities, even at 7 weeks!! Skittles was a bully in the clutch and is still a runt and a bully!

Pick the one who wants to be with you, who follows you with their eyes, comes to your hand when you reach out and doesn't want to be put down..

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Pick the one that also picks you... best advice anyone can give you.

Birds really do pick their people.

OP
C

CaiqueBlessed

Oct 28, 2014
Northern VA
Parrots
Thank you everyone for your advice.

I feel that we were chosen by the youngest of the three brothers. When we are holding him, he will climb up and rub his head under our chins and cheeks. He will also climb on our shoulders and lay his head next to our necks. He will also "talk" to us, responding to our voice. His brothers could have cared less who was holding them and content to just sit on our laps.

We decide to name him Phoenix, but will probably nickname him Nix. We are slowly getting everything ready him (kinda feels like when I was pregnant and getting the nursery ready for the kids). We have the cage and are slowly buying toys to keep him entertained.

dskidd

Dec 6, 2012
Parrots
Eliza -- Black Headed Caique
Henry -- White-Bellied Caique
I'm late chiming in, but yes: the bird definitely picks you! Eliza certainly did. Given the circumstances, Henry didn't really have much choice, but I like to think he would have picked me! :)

Also, yup, females can be just as hormonal: Eliza is living proof of that!

Love the photo, by the way!

Most Reactions