how to get a "wild" gcc to step up

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
So I got my rehome pair of gcc in December and they are the best but Sully, the male, is extremely skidish. Bella is semi tame, she loves to hang out on my shoulder and will take food from my hand but she will not let me pet or touch her. So I have been trying to tame Sully down because he attacks everyone but me so none of my family wants to go in my room. I heard you are supposed to use a perch to start to get untamed birds to step up, but if he sees a perch he screams and flies around the room. He is afraid of leather gloves, perches that aren't in his cage and anything he doesn't recognise. I tried to get him to step up on my hand by just pushing back, I had a jacket sleeve on my hand, but he just bites my hand and backs away so I cant get to his stomach or feet.
Does anybody have advice as to how I can get him to step up and not be afraid of everything?
Just a side note as to why I think he is afraid of leather gloves, the family I got them from gave me an info pack on Sully and Bella and it said they handle Sully with leather gloves. I think they handled him against his will and that's why he is afraid of the leather gloves.

vicky2200

Mar 24, 2012
Michigan
Parrots
Cockatiels and Parakeets
I cant offer any advice. I'm still trying to figure out how to tame my cockatiel without getting bit a million times. She can really hurt too!

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
Take your time and do everything slow. Pushing a scared bird just makes them more scared. entice him with treats, but son't force your way. It could take months and months to get him acclimated and comfortable. Good luck, remember that you want him to want to be with you.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
target train with a chopstick or something small. Eventuallly he will attack the target (chopstick, etc) and you click and treat. He will catch on quick.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
He doesn't take treats. The only reason he grabs them from me is to drop it then attack my fingers. I have tried sunflower seeds even but he just drops them. I try all of his favorite foods but he just bites pieces off to get to my hand.

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
In that case I would resist interacting physically at this point. Sit quietly and let him realize that you are not a threat.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
How long should I do that because I have been doing that since December. He loves talking to me and dancing for me but he just doesn't like me getting close. Do you think it is because Bella is in the box and he is protecting his cage? And he is going to turn 2 in July so could it also be hormones?

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
Unfortunately they don't always tell us. :-/ It could be hormones or protecting his mate, but this sounds very aggressive.... Some birds can take a very long time to trust, and some just don't want to be handled no matter what. Don't get your feelings hurt, they have very complicated little brains, chances are that this bird doesn't know what else to do. Patience is key. Since the other bird is tame, try to work with her in front of him. They can learn from watching. Eventually allow him out when you are training her and see how he responds, this may make him curious and may allow him to open up.

OP
cdog

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
I tried working with her in front of him but he just gets really mad and flies over to "kill" me. He is my baby though so I will keep working with him. I'm the only one he doesn't attack and am the only one he talks in front of. He also screams and cries if I leave the room.

Most Reactions

Latest posts