how to get Sinna to STEP UP

rreekers

Oct 22, 2012
we have had sinna now for a few months and we still can not get sinna to step up! sinna is very familiar to the word "up" its is the only world that he tries to say.. it takes all his might and it is so cute.. Sinna has come A LONG WAY since he 1st showed up... he gives kisses, and will even touch tongues with my husband. Sinna will let me scoop him up between 2 hands with little to no resistance but if i extend my finger, i get bit, or he runs away. he will not step up for my husband either.. im wondering if its a fear of fingers because he LOVES to lick my hands if i put them flat, loves to cuddle in my hand if its cupped but as soon as i switch to 1 or 2 fingers out comes angry sinna.

Sinna comes from his cage over to the couch almost on command, we pat on the back of the couch (his cage is about 2.5 - 3 feet behind the couch) and he will climb to 1 of 3 spots on his cage and fly/glide over to see us. when he is reallly tired i have gotten him to walk onto my hand a few times with all the light off (i did nudge his tail feathers to get him to move off his favorite rope outside of his cage) he is very unsteady once on my hand and very unsure of himself and acts like his legs are jelly, but he perches fine all day long. he is kind of clumbsy though (but i think thats just a whole nother story lol )

he is out most mornings (10-75 mins) then is out EVERY evening for 1-5 hours. we try to give fresh veggies,fruit and/or safe human food everyday (realistically 5 out of 7 days a week) loves carrots and oatmeal.
He is starting to slay with toys, doesnt like hard todays, likes softer things like shreadables paper and LOVE to preen (himself, ropes, towels, the couch, my husbands head)

do you have any tips on what we could try to get sinna to step up? it makes it extreamly difficult to get him in the cage or to teach him anything or gain his trust..

oh and so far trying to get him to step up on perches is even worse then fingers, he screams and bites and runs away.. im afraid someone was mean to him before he found us.. also we do not know if sinna is male or female, we just assume male for simplicity sake.

Any tips/ suggestions/ or concerns are greatly appreciated

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Sinna sounds like a great bird :) what kind is he? You could clicker train him to step up. Here's a link that explains how:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...4oDoBA&usg=AFQjCNEuaSwZcXK6ZRN5pXZAWGVX47wDxQ
You can use a chopstick as the target stick, don't use a pencil like the website says. The graphite could kill the birds. Also, while I'm sure you have ood intentions, don't let Donna touch tongues with your husband. Our saliva can Carry bacteria which is harmful to parrots. Good luck, I'm sure he'll come around soon :)

OP
R

rreekers

Oct 22, 2012
I am working on getting Sinna to step up.. but is it bad to scoop him up between my hands? He doesn't resist and loves to cuddle once close to the my body but it doesn't last more that 2 minutes until he flyswatter back to his cage.
I feel like it helps us bond a little bit. But is it a bad way to bond.

I feel like we make a little progress each day which make my day:) but I don't want to take steps backwards

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
sinna is very familiar to the word "up" its is the only world that he tries to say.. it takes all his might and it is so cute..

Just because a parrot knows how to say something doesn't mean that they understand what it is they are saying.

he gives kisses, and will even touch tongues with my husband.

Please don't allow him access to your guys mouth! Our tongues, teeth and even lips may contain harmful bacteria to our birds. If it gets in their systems, it can make them sick!

As far as stepping up goes, I want to point out two things you've said...

if i extend my finger, i get bit, or he runs away

he LOVES to lick my hands if i put them flat

Have you ever tried to get Sinna to step up using a flat hand? Palm up or palm down?

Find a favorite treat of Sinna and lure Sinna onto your hand if he wont step up. To do this, put your hand out flat near Sinna, then with treat in other hand, show the treat to Sinna past your hand (so treat hand is further away from you than the step up hand). If Sinna is interested and comes over, allow Sinna to eat the treat. Repeat this.

After a few treats, try having the treat above your hand for Sinna to take. Repeat.

Next step, have the treat hand closer to you so that Sinna has to stretch (not step, stretch) over the step up hand to receive the treat. Repeat.

Bring the treat a little closer to you so that Sinna now has to at least put one foot on your palm in order to receive the treat. Repeat.

If Sinna is comfortable with this, then go on to having the treat just out of reach so Sinna has to put both feet on your hand to receive the treat.

If Sinna balks at any step, don't force it and go back a step. Also, try to make it as natural as possible... i.e. don't have Sinna physically stepping up (like stairs) but rather moving from one location to another (think, platforms that are the same height and there may, or may not be, a gap between the two).

Here's some blog posts that may help!

Living With Parrots Cage Free: Bucky and Strider - Millet Eating Fiends!

Living With Parrots Cage Free: A Big, Gray Reinforcer

Living With Parrots Cage Free: The Affect of Aversives on Trust

Most Reactions

Latest posts