bree

Jun 13, 2012
Media
USA
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Citron Cockatoo
3 B&G Macaws
So iv got a trouble maker! Rio is a 1 1/2 B&G, Rio was hatched along with another he was supposed to be her "mate" they were caged together till their owner was forced to get rid of them, somehow they ended up in the hands of the local "bird flipper" and separated, he went off somewhere and Rio ended up at a petstore. Well the petstore owners aabandoned all the animals locked inside and the police took their sweet time. Rio survived because she let her sself out and ate cat food durring the time. Between 2 highly abusive and neglectful places rio has become agressive. Her main isssue is with girls. She tries to dominate any female she can. Im usually not intimidated by my macaws but rio can sometime get nasty. She doesn't do the typical macaw lunge she will actually lunge to bite. I have been making my dad tire her out so I can handle her better but sometimes shes just out for my skin she's gotten alot better with handling away from the cage. I don't dare grab her off her cage or where she is taller that's when the real problem occurs. I try to be so fearless and just say step up but even though I don't hesitate or show any ffear I still get it. I understand she has been though alot about 5 new homes and owners? But I wont baby her(I think her owner did) I have herd her old owner was afraid of her so it could be the issue? I just need to find a system that works for rio and I, she is such a sweetie, loves to swing and play, she trusts me enough to hold my finger and hang by her beak I can touch her anywhere and do anything with her, she loves it when I cradle her like a baby:) but we just have to figure out how to stop her from challanging and trying to dominate me anyway she can:) any answers to gaining the "upper hand" will be greatly appreciated!:blue1::blue1::blue1::white1::rainbow1::eek:

haleybird

Mar 1, 2013
california
Parrots
someday very soon a hyacinth! :)
I recently discovered the website of Ken Globus, the bird whisperer, and his methods are unconventional, but kind and effective for birds with a history. I read through his entire website...then I looked for upcoming workshops, and then after googling him, found out he had sadly passed away a few years back :/. But his website provides some tips to handling and gaining/building trust with your bird..I'd say check it out! And good luck with your fid..with patience, love, and perseverance you can accomplish anything. :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh my, that sweet bird has surely been through a lot in her young life. :eek:

Sounds like you have a GREAT relationship with her, if you can do all those things with Rio already. :) ALL Macaws will test you every now and then - it's not about dominance though, they merely try and see what they can get away with.

As long as you remain confident, firm & loving, those obstacles should be overcome.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I'm absolutely no expert in this and I'm only coping with a galah who's had a pretty awful background, not a magnificent (and beaky) macaw. I'm only speaking up because I discovered this in the past week and can't believe how stupid I was for not thinking of it sooner. Are you ready for this?

The bird can't bite you when it's got something else in its mouth! Use a stick or a strawberry or whatever you like, but before you approach the bird with your hand, give him something else to latch onto. This hasn't cured my Dominic's biting (he's an old vulture to the core), but it has distracted him so that I can move him around and examine him and put necessary things into his cage (such as food and water).

For Rio, I'd suggest putting a stick of celery between you each time you approach. It will give him something to focus on and something tasty and large to engage with his bill, hopefully leaving your flesh intact. It may not work for you, but it's working for me at the moment. Just thought I'd share. Best of luck with it! We all know how demoralising it can be, but patience will win out. :)

PS. Other objects to try in case macaws can mow through celery without blinking: broken coconut shell with flesh still on it; thick slices of apple or watermelon or whatever fruit you happen to have; a head of broccoli or cauliflower. I reckon Rio soon will learn that your approach means something nice and tasty and 'busy' will happen. He'll come to welcome you in time. Keep reminding yourself that he's been abused by neglect and cannot trust just yet.

Last edited:
OP
B

bree

Jun 13, 2012
Media
USA
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Citron Cockatoo
3 B&G Macaws
Iv had Rio a couple months, she so used to being shuffled around that their was absolutely no honeymoon! I got her with one other macaw named joy they depend on eachother way to much so were slowly breaking them away, rio sscreams when joy gets any attention so when joy comes out and rio turns into the devil I put joy back nd cover rio till im done, rio seems to get more agressive around joy so they can't be by eachother. Rio is a smarty feathers:) iv tried the blocking of the bite but I didn't have any luck, I was going to start by retraining her with a perch but for some reason she is terrified and cowers, so I assume she has been beaten by one? I wish I could just stick my hand by her and her just step up but but I know its going to take alot of time. Ill have to keep trying the food, maybe a stuffed animaal in the path? She loves carring them around!

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Maybe she ate the cat first, then moved onto the cat food!

FreedomAndForgiven

May 9, 2013
Media
Parrots
Lucy (B&G Macaw), Phoenix (Camilla Macaw), Gizmo (Goffin Cockatoo),
Rita (Military Macaw),
Mango (Goffin Cockatoo),
I had the same issue with Phoenix when I first started handling him. I just went for broke with him after him getting used to me, and showed him I was not scared, and when I would reach for him when he started biting I wouldn't jerk away. I ended up with some nasty bites, and he did draw blood, but I kept at it, an so did my wife. After a bit of that he now asks to step up if you are by him or he will just start to lean off the front of whatever perch he is on with his leg out to try and get on your arm. He even steps up on my sons, and lets them carry him around. If you can take the pain of some bites with some taking skin or drawing blood , and squished fingers you can do it that way. Phoenix is a Camilla Macaw so he has the big Green Wing beak.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
At 1.5 years, (s)he's a spoiled brat that needs continuous training rather than re-training. I agree that the home shuffle has probably caused his/her defensive aggression and it (s)he was abused, that probably accounts for the perch/stick fear.....

Good luck.....

OP
B

bree

Jun 13, 2012
Media
USA
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Citron Cockatoo
3 B&G Macaws
Thanks everyone:) rio is truly a good bird but needs work lol she's was a spoiled brat in some ways, it was noted after I asked around that her old owner was afraid of her and didn't do much with her, now I can see her issue with handeling:) I think her husband did most of it because rio seems to do better with men and wont try to dominate them, like she does to me or any women, so she was tought that lunging and biting at girls = you terrify them and they will give you what you want when you want and how you waant. Men on the other hand don't try because they wont take your crap lol:) today she was out and seemed to do fine, iv gotten smart and make her grab the cage bar before she steps up:) she knows that im not afraid of her when she's lower than or at eye level but I admitt when she is up higher its a bit intimidating:) that beak has gotten me on my face close to my eye and didn't feel to well:p iv figured out that its more of a power thing she's gotta be in charge and if she's not she throws a hissy. She's the youngest iv ever coached and the most stubborn. If I were to work with my others in front of her do you think she will get the hang of thingss?

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
At 1.5 years, (s)he's a spoiled brat that needs continuous training rather than re-training. I agree that the home shuffle has probably caused his/her defensive aggression and it (s)he was abused, that probably accounts for the perch/stick fear.....

Good luck.....

I would not be harsh weco stating that Rio is a spoilt brat...
Surely you read what the poor bird has endeared, moving to FIVE different homes.
Imagine each guardian "wanting" Rio to do as they please.
No wonder Rio is behaving and retaliating.

The bird has been traumatized and requires lots of love and attention.

Imagine a human child moving home 5 times, going through what Rio has endured, would you say the child is spoilt?

I would certainly think not.

Last edited:
OP
B

bree

Jun 13, 2012
Media
USA
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Citron Cockatoo
3 B&G Macaws
I understand she's been through alot, but her "owner" before I got her spoiled her im not saying spoild brat in a harsh way im just saying she's a brat lol. when rio wanted she got no matter what it was. Her owner that I got her from was terrified of her so she gave her anything she wanted so she wouldn't have a fit.she was her original owner she bought her and handfed her. She was never tought that you don't always get what you want. If im eating and she's out if I don't give her my food immediatly she will try to attack. Her owner gave her anything to keep her quiet and to not get bit If I tell her no if she's trying to break my neackalace she will bite and throw a tantrum, as you related to a child it is just like that. It would tramitize them but you shouldn't give them everything they want when they want it or they will turn into a brat and expect every second. I have talked to multiple people who know her along with the groomer that she has seen since her first trim and everyone said she was never properly trained in the first place and is a spoild brat. I wish you could meet her and get what im saying:) im not trying to make it sound like she is horrible and a bad bird that I can't stand im just saying she's a brat, like what you would call a child when their being naughty.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I understand she's been through alot, but her "owner" before I got her spoiled her im not saying spoild brat in a harsh way im just saying she's a brat lol. when rio wanted she got no matter what it was. Her owner that I got her from was terrified of her so she gave her anything she wanted so she wouldn't have a fit.she was her original owner she bought her and handfed her. She was never tought that you don't always get what you want. If im eating and she's out if I don't give her my food immediatly she will try to attack. Her owner gave her anything to keep her quiet and to not get bit If I tell her no if she's trying to break my neackalace she will bite and throw a tantrum, as you related to a child it is just like that. It would tramitize them but you shouldn't give them everything they want when they want it or they will turn into a brat and expect every second. I have talked to multiple people who know her along with the groomer that she has seen since her first trim and everyone said she was never properly trained in the first place and is a spoild brat. I wish you could meet her and get what im saying:) im not trying to make it sound like she is horrible and a bad bird that I can't stand im just saying she's a brat, like what you would call a child when their being naughty.

I still reckon Rio is not spoilt she was taught that way and is used to it. She is used to getting her way, I totally agree there, BUT she does not know any other way.

You will have to take a few steps back and begin as when getting a new bird.

:grey:

Most Reactions