How to introduce pellets to my birds

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I decided to change my birds diet to pellets, so I went out today and purchased Tops pellets. I need to know how you introduced the pellets, to your birds. They currently eat seed, along with Harrisons Mash. None of them have ever had pellets so I was wondering what has worked for you and your bird(s)....and what didn't. I have a crimson bellied conure,lovebird, & 5 cockatiels. my Vet has always said to introduce them slowly and wean out the other food, but I wanted to ask you since most of you feed your birds pellets. thanks.;)

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
When I started giving my greys pellets I added it to their seed mix, first 10%, then 20, 30, and so on over the course of 10 days. It seems to have worked. I also added some to their mash and that gave them a taste for it as well.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I think the digital kitchen scales fom Bed bath and beyond are the first step. The best indicator is weight. Weigh your fid before feeding in the AM. When changing diet, knowledge is power, The scales will tell the truth. You can always adjust if you know what is really going on.

Brodie

Jul 25, 2012
Media
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Male Eclectus- Oscar and Female Eclectus- Scarlet
I did the 10%, 20% ect thing with ticka, it didn't work. He still eats seeds. He won't touch pellets no matter what! But my eclectus will eat anything!

008kenichijouji

Sep 27, 2012
Midwest
Parrots
Disney---Sun conure
Most people will probably not agree with me, but I sort of "forced" my conure into eating pellets. She was given only seed and peanuts from her previous owner for 4 years, and is SO picky. She wouldn't touch anything other than seeds; to this day she still won't eat veggies and fruits, despite constant trials with different kinds and trying new ways to eat them (will try birdie bread soon...to sneak them in!).

I got her to eat Oven Baked Fresh bites in about 1.5 days; it's the most progress I've ever made with her food-wise. At first, I tried putting them in with the seed, and having her try to eat it out of my hand, but she wouldn't have it. So, I just gave her the seed one morning, and when it was gone, that was it. I put pellets in the bowl, and after a day and a half, when she was most likely super hungry, she just tried them. I've never went back to seed since.

I know some might think that's mean (to refuse food for a short period of time), but the way I see it, if she were in the wild and had preferences, she'd starve to death (and I know she only knows captivity, yadda yadda yadda, but I think they're smarter than we give credit for). I've read that some parrots will just starve themselves but...I wouldn't let it go that far. After 2 days I would have given her seed if she was completely obstinate, but she must have not liked starving, so she ate them!!

OF COURSE, I would not have done that with a sick/unwell parrot........ My sun conure, other than her pickiness, is otherwise in good health, and does normal everyday conure things. So I figured that going 1-2 days without a lot of food was okay to do.

Last edited:

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Its a debated topic Keni. but though I haven't had to do it (thankfully), I imagine that a bird would eat anything if it was hungry enough. Kind of like a toddler who wont eat dinner. Every time he complains about food that night, plop down the same plate until he eats it. You give other food after a point of course, but I find it often works if you're more stubborn than they (children or birds) are.

008kenichijouji

Sep 27, 2012
Midwest
Parrots
Disney---Sun conure
Its a debated topic Keni. but though I haven't had to do it (thankfully), I imagine that a bird would eat anything if it was hungry enough. Kind of like a toddler who wont eat dinner. Every time he complains about food that night, plop down the same plate until he eats it. You give other food after a point of course, but I find it often works if you're more stubborn than they (children or birds) are.

Amen to that!

Most Reactions

Latest posts