Weird feathers?

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
on some of Cooper's feathers (mostly on neck and cheeks, but a few on top of head) there looks ot be almost like a clear casing type thing on his feathers. what is that? what should i do about it? is it bad?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Sounds like keratin, which is the casing of new feathers growing in. If Cooper will allow you, you can help him remove the keratin by gently rubbing/pinching the keratin if it's still attached to the feathers. More frequent bathing can help loosen the keratin so he can easily preen/scratch it off himself.

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
okay. for some reason i did get the email on my phone to see you posted. so i looked it up myself. they are called pin feathers? right? i got some off his head but when i tried his neck i got a few good nips and one really good one with a decent amount of blood....lol

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Yup, pin feathers. Most of them he can get himself except for his head and neck. If he has a lot of them, shower him often to help soften the casings.

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Sounds like pin feathers. He can deal with them himself, but if he lets you, you can help him with them. Darcy came to me with a ton of pin feathers on his head and neck; once he got settled, he started preening a whole bunch, and now they are gone.

OP
mrgoogls

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
yeah, sounds like pin feathers:) i got some of them. but some he wont let me touch. oh well. the only ones he doesnt get himslef are on his head or neck where he cant reach. his body has none(since he got them off.) thanks guys!

Most Reactions

Latest posts