How to know my Boundaries?

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
I don't want to break my TAGS spirit in anyway. Timneh was having fun poking holes in my shirt and seeing how big she could make the hole. So I said no and we were having some fun wrestling around. I would pull her beak out of the hole while she tried to make it bigger. On my nicer shirts I would also say no. Not loudly or meanly but I would start moving so She had to stop. Now she doesn't do it anymore. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Sometimes when I get nipped I say ow louder than intended when I am surprised. Timneh will put her head down and let me pet her. I don't mind getting nipped and hope she continues to tell me when I am doing something wrong. I don't pet her when she doesn't want to be pet and so on. I've kind of instigated a situation where I know a nip is coming and did not cry out, to try and let Timneh know that its ok to say NO. Thanks for the help having a blast with my new buddy. Just want the happiness to be mutual. Well as I sit here typing someone must want some attention cause I just heard a small snap indicating my shirt is taking damage. LOL

Last edited:

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
There is nothing wrong with saying no and you should say no. I have bird shirts because mine like to chew holes. While typing I had to corral my Ekkie as she was heading off her playtop to the floor. I said no and she stops, looks at me, and starts racing for the ground because she knows it's not allowed while I'm racing to make her step up. Once I get her, she goes in her cage for 10 minutes of time out. She understands no. Also I don't let her on the floor because she starts looking for a nesty spot and then gets very aggressive. Plus being low is not safe. So definitely say no and like you said, it doesn't have to be loud or emotional.

Great pics BTW, gorgeous TAG!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I believe you are on the right track! Boundaries are important, but Greys tend to be less dependent and neurotic. My belief is we owe much to our captive pets, so I strive to let them have free will whenever possible. That includes the freedom to chew my "bird clothing" that is worn whenever we interact. Older worn-out shirts are fair game! Polo shirts are often best because the first things to go are the buttons, and they generally only have 2 or three at the collar!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm glad you're researching and reaching out. Good luck with your beautiful bird.

Loko

Oct 1, 2016
Miami
Parrots
Sun Conure - Loco
I think what everyonne said it great and you are doing great as well!
One thing to think about is, keep some "bird shirts". Boundaries are important and no should mean no, but when I am home I try to wear t shirts that I dont care about being ripped or pooped on; it is natural for them to want to chew so I try let him when possible - but there are limits and it is important for them to understand what is ok and not ok, which you seem to be teaching well!

OP
Billdore

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
Thank You everyone. I had originally thought no big deal just wear shirts I won't mind having ripped to shreds. Well I found out I'd be going through just about a shirt a night I thought maybe I should slow her down. Her vocabulary from being in the store is huge. He says how are you? Then hey there big fella. SO funny, also Timneh wanted to get onto my shoulder so she starts saying step up, step up, step up. I make a whoo noise if she slips on my shoulder now is she slips on my shoulder she makes the whoo noise so cute. I will have to start saying no to the ground also. Thank you TAW, must be hard not to laugh when you see that mad dash and the mischievous look. The polo shirts also seem to be a little easier to hang on too. Some t shirts seem to be more "slippery".

Most Reactions