How to train the husband?

Schlecterhunde

Apr 29, 2011
I realize this is for 'parrot' training, but my question does relate to parrots!
We recently acquired a Meyer's parrot named Oscar. The bird very quickly bonded with me. I have had two parakeets before this and have always been 'good' with animals.

The frustration is seeing the relationship between my husband and Oscar is not going as I would like. The bird is much more likely to bite him, and not so much inclined to cuddle my husband or receive petting from him. I have been trying to explain to my husband what to do to help prevent the bird from bonding with just me but it's not doing much good. I would rather the bird develop a good relationship with BOTH of us.

Is there a way to train the PERSON how to watch the bird behavior and respond accordingly? Are there any books or other resources I could guide him to? I just kind of 'know' when the bird is in the mood to be handled and when he's overstimulated and needs some quiet time. How do you explain to someone not so good with animals what to do? I'm getting frustrated trying to explain what to me is obvious. :52:

Sabbath

Apr 26, 2011
Media
Time and patience :)!
No book that I know of can teach a human on knowing the body language of a bird but who knows!

In the end, I'd estimate it to be just time and patience for the husband and the bird and if all that can be achieved is a mutual agreement then let it be. Just like humans parrot will find people they just inherently hate!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I find by having a bird that actually chose my partner helped! It started with Dixie and my partner learned from her. Then Sybil and Gracie both are attached to my partner over me. Im a firm believer animals choose who they want to bond with. We do not force our animals to do otherwise...

OP
S

Schlecterhunde

Apr 29, 2011
So, just relax then? I'm very flattered that Oscar loves me but I can see my husband is kind of disappointed. I'll help him keep trying. It doesn't seem the bird HATES my husband (at this point), he just would much rather snuggle with me, and bites my husband a lot more.

I'll just try to relax about it and just encourage my husband to keep making overtures. But you're right, he's going to like who he likes...
Thanks!

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lol your the birds fav person :) you need to tell it off when oscar bites your hubby, but at the same time, your hubby shouldn't try doin anything with oscar when you are about.

nuts fav person is my man, when he is home i leave her to it, but when he is at work, i am her next fav person and then my son
i think as i leave her to it when my mans at home, there is no residual tension from a confrontation, when its just me an nut

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Merlin a Red Crowned Amazon
Merlin is the same way w/my husband. I let him do all the feeding & anything else special, so merlin loves him too. It is hard not to laugh when he bites your husband when you are mad @ him. lol

OP
S

Schlecterhunde

Apr 29, 2011
I think you guys have a point! They get along better when I'm not around. I pulled out the dried mango (his absolute favorite!) from his food and my husband is the ONLY person allowed to give them to him as treats. Things are improving. He'll choose his favorite person, and that's fine but I want to make sure Oscar and the hubby are on cordial terms! :)

But I am also trying to train the husband how to NOT do things that irritate the bird, like point his finger at his face, ect (face palm). Seriously? I'D bite you for that! I don't understand how some people just know how to observe what animals like and don't like, and other people are just oblivious. So, still working on training the hubby...

Robberts

Jun 6, 2011
Your husband should spend more time with parrots.Some times few birds do not accept parrots so in such a situation you just has to spend more time with your bird.With the passage of time bird becomes familiar with you.

stephend

Jun 7, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Acorn - a Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure;
Bob - a Cockatiel;
Cricket - an American Budgie
But I am also trying to train the husband how to NOT do things that irritate the bird, like point his finger at his face, ect (face palm). Seriously? I'D bite you for that! I don't understand how some people just know how to observe what animals like and don't like, and other people are just oblivious. So, still working on training the hubby...

They aren't supposed to like that? Bob let me pet his beak before he let me pet his stomach. He seemed indifferent when I petted his beak and have not done it sence. If he is in the mood for it he seems to love having his belly rubbed.

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
I wiggle my finger in front of merlin to ask permission to scratch his head. If he wants me to he lowers his head, if not he will bite gently or say no. Every animal is different, merlin will not allow alot of handling of his chest, wings or back. Some birds love being scratched under the wing. If you pay attention to your bird you will work out how you communicate.

Adams

Jul 7, 2011
Your husband should spent time with your bird daily.Let your husband to feed your bird daily.Gradually this shyness problem will be removed.But it will take some time lady.

shanlung

Banned
Banned
Jun 1, 2010
Gaia
Is this somewhat related to how to train the wife? Not just on birdie matters.

Can someone tell me how to train her get me a nice cold drink when I snap my fingers?
And to walk demurely 5 mincing steps behind me like a good wife of the past?
And to walk 10 striding steps ahead of me should we find ourselves in a mine field.

Or is that a case of gone are the good old days>

merlinsmom13

Jul 27, 2010
Beckley, WV
Parrots
Is this somewhat related to how to train the wife? Not just on birdie matters.

Can someone tell me how to train her get me a nice cold drink when I snap my fingers?
And to walk demurely 5 mincing steps behind me like a good wife of the past?
And to walk 10 striding steps ahead of me should we find ourselves in a mine field.

Or is that a case of gone are the good old days>

Ha ha, you are really asking for it. Admit it, you wouldn't have her any other way. :p

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
How to train a wife? A little bit of positive reinforcement and reasoning can do wonders.

How to train a husband? You could try a shock collar, but even that's not likely as men don't learn ... unless your teaching baseball stats or dirty jokes.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
guys just seem to have the ability to completely zone out when you talk to them. you can see it happen in the faces of my cousins and brother, you can see it in there eyes when there getting bored, its like talking to a brick wall. i was trying to teach my cousins a lesson (im like the "be carefull, dont do that, appologize to your brother, be nice!" kind of sister/cousin) and he just chose to zone out and start talking to my brother:rolleyes:.

Most Reactions

Latest posts