HQ Dometop 90040 Cage

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I purchased one of these cages last month and thought I would let you know that there is a flaw in the design of this particular cage. The frames of the front and rear panels are not flush with the pieces of the dome when completely assembled. The only places that are flush are at the base where it connects to the side panels which are held by 2 bolts on each side. There are no bolts anywhere else on the dome (arch) itself. Looking from the side of the cage where the dome is attached, you go from a flush frame to increasing space between the frames to the highest point. This occurs on both sides. Basically I am telling you there is a gap between the frames instead of being completely flush frame to frame.

Also with this particular model, there are sharp burrs from the welds. I found over a dozen of these on my cage and have broken the skin on my hand while checking the smoothness of the welds on the bars.

A member of another bird forum brought these same issues up and I noticed my cage had the same problems. She had two of them and was located in IL and I had one and am located in GA. I am sure there are more cages similar to ours being distributed.

I am informing you because I believe this is a safety issue for our fids and would hate for your pets to have cuts and not know how or why that happened.

Both of us have contacted our sales vendor and they are not very sympathic to our concerns. I am communicating with the company who imports these cages in Florida and am not getting a warm fuzzy feeling from them either.

Anyway, I thought you should know about HQ Model 90040 in case you were contemplating purchasing one of these. I looked at the display model where I purchased it, and it too didn't have extra bolts at the top. I wish I had been more thorough in examining the cage before purchasing. As most of you probably know when purchasing a cage, you pay freight charges if you have to return a cage for any reason. I want to spare you the anguish another person and I am experiencing.

Last edited:

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
I'm sorry you had trouble. I don't have that cage model but on good reviews I purchased an HQ flight cage, and the breeder box doors were bent out of shape and none of the perches fit. I complained (Amazon) and was given this huge run-around, "ship it back" and we'll credit you. No, I only needed replacement parts, but I just couldn't ever get anyone to understand that I needed PARTS, not to have to ship the huge cage back. I was given email address after email address, some in China, then a rep for the company in Las Vegas. No one could seem to understand that I needed replacement parts for a broken piece. In the end, I kept the cage, but I moved the bird to another cage (from a company I can get parts from as they wear out). Aggravating and something to consider when doing business with this company. When the cage is perfect, you don't really know how difficult it is to deal with them, UNTIL you end up needing a replacement part someday.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Thank you to both! I will definitively think twice about recommending HQ cages to my clients!!

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I'm sorry you had trouble. I don't have that cage model but on good reviews I purchased an HQ flight cage, and the breeder box doors were bent out of shape and none of the perches fit. I complained (Amazon) and was given this huge run-around, "ship it back" and we'll credit you. No, I only needed replacement parts, but I just couldn't ever get anyone to understand that I needed PARTS, not to have to ship the huge cage back. I was given email address after email address, some in China, then a rep for the company in Las Vegas. No one could seem to understand that I needed replacement parts for a broken piece. In the end, I kept the cage, but I moved the bird to another cage (from a company I can get parts from as they wear out). Aggravating and something to consider when doing business with this company. When the cage is perfect, you don't really know how difficult it is to deal with them, UNTIL you end up needing a replacement part someday.

I have learned there is no customer service by HQ. Even on the instructions included with their products, there is no way to contact them in case of a problem. I have now purchased a playstand and a cage and neither sets of instructions have a point of contact in case you need help with their products.

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Merlee, I found a website for HQ in China (although I'm not sure I could find it again; I just google searched until I located it). I emailed them and someone actually DID email me back. I'll try to see if I still have the contact information and PM you if I can find it. He gave me a "USA representative in Las Vegas," but I wasn't able to make that person understand I didn't want to replace the cage, only a part. I hope you have better luck.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Merlee, I found a website for HQ in China (although I'm not sure I could find it again; I just google searched until I located it). I emailed them and someone actually DID email me back. I'll try to see if I still have the contact information and PM you if I can find it. He gave me a "USA representative in Las Vegas," but I wasn't able to make that person understand I didn't want to replace the cage, only a part. I hope you have better luck.

I would love to speak to a representative of the company. If the person couldn't understand that you just wanted parts, does that mean he/she didn't understand English?

I have Googled HQ more than once and the websites that have come up are old and out of date or the "contact us" buttons don't work.

I am appalled that there is no way for a customer to get in touch directly with the company. The instructions which come with their products have no warranty or contact information printed on it. When I purchased my playstand I noticed that right away. I see now that should have been a red flag for future purchases. New lesson learned at age 52. lol.

A day or so, I found this e-mail address but have not tried it because it looks old. Does this look familiar? [email protected] or [email protected]

Last edited:

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Merlee, I went through my old emails and I must of cleaned house because I couldn't find it. I'm sorry. Yes, those emails DO look familiar. But, someone with limited use of English answered my email. He gave me the contact in Las Vegas. I really agree with you on dealing with these companies that have no way to order replacement parts. In your years using a cage, you're GOING to need some and it's so frustrating not to be able to get them. It makes the "good deal" not so much one. In contrast, I have 10-year-old Avian Adventures cages that I can still get parts for through Midwest Metal. My lovebird lives in a Kings cage, and they can supply any part you need and answer emails and phone calls promptly. I hope this thread educates people that it's vital to be able to contact the company you buy your cage from. Door latches break. Casters wear out. Breeder box doors need replacing. Feed bowls that fit need duplicates. Touchup paint is nice. Even extra bolts that fit the cage exactly are nice to have on hand. Thank you for posting your experience. I'm sure you saved someone a lot of heartache and expense.

OP
M

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
In hindsight, I should have purchased a Kings cage because I know they have a 1-800 number and are based here in the US even though their products are made in China.

Most Reactions

Latest posts