Hydrangea Toxic to be around?

KOZKO

Aug 25, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Parrots
Sun Conure
I see that hydrangea is on the toxic flower list for birds, parrots, Sun Conures in particular, is it safe for them to be in the room with a fresh cut plant or just not eat them?

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
As long as she doesn't have access to it, she should be fine. Just make sure she doesn't have an opportunity to chew on it.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I can't answer your question specifically, but the plant, flowers & sap contain cyanogenic glycosides that when mixed with digestive enzymes, creates cyanide, though my understanding is that different varieties contain different strengths of these glycosides, but my information relates to ingestion & not inhalation or close proximity.....you might get a better answer if you posed your questions to the U of Penn agriculture department.....

What I've found in building my database of information is that while there is much more factual data available today than the 20+ years ago when I started compiling it, there is still little specie specific data available, primarily because there is little funding available for study & data compilation on specific bird species.....

Most Reactions