I am getting a Senegal

Artist

Sep 16, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Sundrop "twitters" -cocketiel 17 yrs old;
Vinnie -Senegal 7 years old
I met her for the first time today. She is a 2 1/2 old Senegal who the owners no longer have the time for any more. her name is baby and She has an outgoing personality and I am sur e she will make a good pet.

however, I will have to keep her away from my cocketiel, because I can already tell she could be aggressive toward him.

I will be picking her up on October 1st. I am excited! I have been waiti g a long time to get another bird.

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Congrats!
I'd definitely keep them separate, senegals are spitfires and very prone to jealousy, so a slow intro will be required. They should have the quarantine period (6 weeks) to get used to the sound and general presence of each other, so that should help.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
It would be best to just keep them separate all the time. Maybe get her used to the tiel being nearby but no contact. I would not have both of them out of their cages at the same time if either of them is flighted. A tiel would be no match for a sennie who was being aggressive. They are little parrots but they have big parrot attitude packed in those small bodies.

But they can be one heck of a lotta fun! :D Congratulations!

OP
A

Artist

Sep 16, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
well, I brought Baby home yesterday. she is settling in well. she is very curious about everything around her and is much tamer than I thought she would be. she will readily step up on my and my husband's hand and will allow us to rub her head, even bowing her head to request a rub. she really seems to enjoy interaction with people, even in this new environment and has spent some time contently on my shoulder. I think she is going to make a wonderful addition to our family.

A few times her pupils in her eyes have gotten very tiny and then bounced back out to normal. Does anyone know what this means? I feel like it is a sign that she is getting a little nervous, but never having seen this, I don't know for sure.

friedsoup

May 5, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Senegal Male Bogart
This is called Pinning (birds ca contract and enlarge their pupils manually whereas we humans react to light to make adjustments) this can indicate interest or anger and could lead to very fast actions by your bird, so watch and learn her body language and what she does after the eye pinning does she get aggressive and what was her posture or feather arrangment.

OP
A

Artist

Sep 16, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
Thank-you for letting me know what the pinning is all about.

In the instances that her eyes were pinning so far, she was checking out something we were holding. She was gentle when she got up to it. She was not showing any aggression, just curiosity...but surely she must feel a bit nervous as everything is so new to her.

I am sure that the time will come when I will see the aggressive side of her, but so far she has been very curious and gentle. I have been letting her come to me, rather than going to her, because I am hoping that will help build her trust with me. My cocketiel always let's me know when he wants to be picked up or wants to be left alone. Once I get to know Baby better, hopefully I will be able to read her as well.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
She sounds cute! I had wanted a Senegal back when i got Georgie (in 2001) and my friend had one that was the sweetest, most laid back bird. I know they all may not be that way, but June the senegal could turn most people into "bird people" with how gentle, quiet and easy going she is.
I wish you the best with her.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Pining is usually a sign of excitement or aggression. So she was probably very interested in what she had!

Senegals are great, congratulations on your new Baby!

(we love pictures...)

OP
A

Artist

Sep 16, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
OK, I've got some photos of Baby like some of you requested.

She has been quite the talker this morning. Most of what she says I can't make out, because she is not very clear and does most of her talking once I leave the room. But I did hear her say "pretty bird" and "Thank-you".

Sundrop, my cocketiel has also been talking and singing a lot this morning. I guess he is curious about the other bird in the house. Baby is now quiet but Sundrop is still chattering away.

Attachments

• IMG_5358.jpg
    IMG_5358.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_5374.jpg
    IMG_5374.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 327

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Beautiful bird I love the colors and looks of the senegals. also their eyes are fun to watch. I was looking at some young ones at the bird show last week and if I could have I would have. However I have a full house now and as I had posted before I just kept telling myself MY FLOCK IS COMPLETE,MY FLOCK IS COMPLETE:D

OP
A

Artist

Sep 16, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
here is another question for Senegal owners. when I touch her beak, she makes a clicking noise with her beak. it sounds just like pop corn popping. Is this a warning? once I move up to her head and rub her, she stops the popping and closes her eyes in enjoyment.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I have an african redbellied parrot and she makes a lot of those clicking noises also when you touch her beak and tons of wolf whistles:D

FineFeatheredFriend

Aug 30, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird~Precious, Sennie~Snoopy,Hahns Macaw~Fiona
Congrads! Your baby is sooo cute! But heed the advice about protecting your other birds from your Sennie. Sennies are notorious jealous birds. Mine has tried unsuccessfully an attacking by Lovie and my Quaker. He only tries to attack if I show any type of love or give attention. However Sennies are wonderful birds.

OP
A

Artist

Sep 16, 2012
North Carolina
Parrots
it has been 2 1/2 weeks since I brought Baby home and I thought I would give you an update.

she is such a curious, fun loving, intelligent bird and I am so glad I decided to make her a part of the family. she amazes me every day. her favorite thing is to hang upside down and swing from a rope. i am still learning to read her, but I am getting better at it. she will give me a little nip if I have done something that displeases her. These are usually firm, but not hard enough to hurt. She will do it for instance if I go to pick her up and what she really wants is a head rub, or vise versa. she is training me well. :D. I have also started to train her and she is loving it. I am a novice bird trainer, and was unsuccessful at my attempts at training my cocketeil. but Baby catches on so quickly, she makes me look like a pro. she will turn in either direction, high 5 me with one foot and wave with the other and retrieve an object and I,ve only been working with her for a little over a week. she looks forward to our training sessions and I think it has helped her to bond to me more quickly.

For those of you who are concerned about my Sennie going after my cocketiel, I do not plan to put the two birds together. so far neither of them seem interested in the other. also, my cocketiel is flighted and I plan to keep Baby's wings clipped....at least for the first several months.

Most Reactions