I am so STOKED!!!

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
my cordon blue pair of finches have had their first chick hatch!!!!

I could hear little faint peeps this morning, I was trying to determine what nest it was coming from....then I realized it was from my cordons.

lets just say my inner child always comes out when chicks are born, and I was merrily doing the happy dance:D

Cordon Blues are very hard to breed in captivity, they abandoned one nest but immediately made another.

they are also known for tossing chicks, I am praying that doesn't happen:eek:

they have adjusted very well into the aviary, among them are 6 canaries, 2 society finches, and 1 gouldian finch.

this is a total secret, I have no idea, how many eggs they have laid, or how many are fertile or will hatch.

my pair, female on the right, male on the left

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Wow those are some SWEET finches, Beth! They look GORGEOUS! Many congrats on the new babies. I hope your pair are great parents, and that all will survive without any intervention needed. :)

Mattroma

Oct 22, 2013
Ma
Parrots
Quinn- Harlequin
Lemon and Blueberry Budgies
Stunning birds, best of luck with the baby.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That is so exciting! I am so happy for you and am keeping my fingers crossed that everything proceeds with no trouble:)

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
Congrats!!! I can't wait to see the baby :). Hoping all goes well and that they are fab little finch parents!

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
oh they are beautiful congrats can't wait to see the babies!!!!

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
thanks everybody!....I keep going to check the floor on the aviary to see if the chick has been tossed....not a nice thing to do, but necessary....so far so good!!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Yay Beth! I'm so happy for you and your little blue birdies - is there a period after which the babies should be safe from being tossed, or is it a risk the whole time the hen is sitting???

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
that is a very good question Trish....

it would be safe to say by the age of a week, if there still in there, they're safe!...normally tossing occurs within the first 36 hours.
his little peep is adorable.

I've trained my birds in my aviary to be totally quiet so I can listen if I hear chicks in the nest.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congrats! :)
I had a pair of CB's long ago when I used to have finches.. I never had babies though..I wouldn't have known the first thing about what to do. They were so adorable as they would sit close together in a small circular swing. One day the hen died for some reason. The male was sad for only a couple days, then he said oh well, and started singing away for a new mate lol!

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Oh how adorable are they? Very colorful and healthy. I hope the babies stay in the nest and the parents accept them and raise them for you. I really love how colorful they are.

While I was staying at the VA hospital for two weeks in the community area where the long term patients eat and socalize they have an aviary with all kinds of finches. I would go there and sit by them and watch them. They would settle for me right away to begin to eat and sing. I loved watching them and I thought of you and your flock of finches when I would be watching the finches in the aviary.

SpotsandSally

Sep 30, 2013
Alaska, USA
Parrots
Kiwi : Indian Ringneck Parrot RIP, taken far too young, Mango : Lovebird, 5 years old 2014, Sprite : Pineapple green cheek, <1 2014
Wow! They're pretty.

So the male has blue cheeks, and the female has the red? Or did I misinterpret that? Lol

Hopefully they don't toss it'

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
The parents are so beautiful. I hope to see pics of the healthy chick soon.

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Oh how adorable are they? Very colorful and healthy. I hope the babies stay in the nest and the parents accept them and raise them for you. I really love how colorful they are.

While I was staying at the VA hospital for two weeks in the community area where the long term patients eat and socalize they have an aviary with all kinds of finches. I would go there and sit by them and watch them. They would settle for me right away to begin to eat and sing. I loved watching them and I thought of you and your flock of finches when I would be watching the finches in the aviary.

oh Rebecca, funny what triggers things. how nice of you to think of little ol me:rolleyes:

thanks for your kind thoughts, though, you are a good friend:D

OP
crimson

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
day 2- the chick is still in the nest....YAY!
I bought meal worms this morning and both parents flew out of the nest to eat them all!
little piggies ha ha.
it's excellent protein for the parents and the chicks, it also encourages the parents to feed live food to the chick(s)
I just want to engrain in them that they are to feed them, not toss them, oi!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That is great news Beth! I have a good feeling about this:)

Most Reactions