I can't get Sammy to step up at all!

kilo85

Oct 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Parrots
African Grey Congo
Hey guys,

I have no idea what to do with this bird to teach him how to step up, I tried a lot of things, he won`t do it on a stick or any of my fingers, once he comes out of the cage he climbs to the top and then starts tripping out and doesn`t wanna do anything else. Like he`ll let me pet him but u can tell hes scared sometimes and he always wants to bite my fingers. I let him because it doesn`t hurt yet, but sometimes he tries to go as hard as he can to hurt me or something.

I mean I spend as much time as I can with him after work and I feed him out of my hands cuz its good for bonding, I give him a scratch in the spot he likes the most and I keep talking to him but I still feel as hes scared of me at times

I tried taking him to another room upstairs to train him there (I have been doing A LOT of reading and I read that its better to take him away from his cage and from a room where he feels territorial), he was so scared and started ****ting all over the place and then it seemed like he was puking or something cuz some of the seeds he ate earlier came out of his mouth...

can someone help me out cuz im starting to give up as nothing seems to work with him so far

Last edited:

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Hi Kilo,

Welcome to the forum :)

Its great that you have been doing research and want to strengthen the bond between the two of you :) How long have you had Sammy? What was his past experience before you got him? How old is he?

You mentioned trying many different approaches. What were the approaches and over what time lenght?? Where is the cage positioned in your home? What enrichment do you have available and what are you feeding? Do you have Sammy routined?

The reason Im asking so many questions is to gage why he is showing signs of fear. Did anything traumatic happen to make him fearful? Finding the solution to stepping up is the final step in the process, you need to start at the beginning and make sure all the bases are covered.

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
I had an idea - is it possible for you to video Sammy when he worries you with his behaviour and everyone on the forum can take a look. There are many experienced members who have successfully come to the bottom of their parrot's behaviour and been able to understand why they do what they do :)

OP
K

kilo85

Oct 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Parrots
African Grey Congo
Hi Kilo,

Welcome to the forum :)

Its great that you have been doing research and want to strengthen the bond between the two of you :) How long have you had Sammy? What was his past experience before you got him? How old is he?

You mentioned trying many different approaches. What were the approaches and over what time lenght?? Where is the cage positioned in your home? What enrichment do you have available and what are you feeding? Do you have Sammy routined?

The reason Im asking so many questions is to gage why he is showing signs of fear. Did anything traumatic happen to make him fearful? Finding the solution to stepping up is the final step in the process, you need to start at the beginning and make sure all the bases are covered.

How long? 3 weeks

How old? almost 5 months

Approaches? I tried the stick mothod by his chest and if he ever stepped on it I gave him a treat, in his cage and out of his cage. I tried taking him to another room and trying the same method with different kind of treats etc, but so far everything has been a total failure lol

Cage position? he is in the living room, away from the window, in a corner next to the TV stand.

Food? He has his seeds, at the beginning he used to have a full bowl, then I started putting less and less and started introducing veggies and fruits in there, so now he eats cucumbers, apples and had some pears the other day.

and im not sure what do u mean by do i have him routined?

Did anything traumatic happen to make him fearful? I gave him a shower the one time and he seemed like he didn't like the water and was sitting still in the corner of his cage after and didn't even try drying himself, I had to blow dry him.

From time to time he falls down to the ground and then climbs on the lower part of his cage and there is no way we can take him out there unless its by force, like he'll hold his ground and after minutes and minutes of trying and then letting him stay there for an hour or something and then try again we get frustrated and kinda force lift him outa there to get back in the cage.

He basically only comes and steps up on my hand when he knows im his only way out

Last edited:

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
How long? 3 weeks
How old? almost 5 months

That is a very short time that you have had him and he is still a baby so its going to take time to bond and train. Your not giving him enough time to learn and are maybe rushing the process.

Approaches? I tried the stick mothod by his chest and if he ever stepped on it I gave him a treat, in his cage and out of his cage. I tried taking him to another room and trying the same method with different kind of treats etc, but so far everything has been a total failure lol

What do you mean about taking him to another room and doing the same method there. Why dont you pop him onto your shoulder or arm and get on with your daily activities - when watching tv let him sit with you, when working at a desk or doing chores around the house let him join in. He is so young and if pressured and pushed can become aggro. Have fun with him for now until you see him starting to enjoy coming out of his cage. Stop "training" him and just let him be with you. You will then find him more eager to leave his cage. Remember, any experience with you is remembered by him and he will associate experiences with you that are either postive or negative.

Cage position? he is in the living room, away from the window, in a corner next to the TV stand.

Do you let him go outside in his cage for fresh air and vit D? Parrots love to be outside in a safe area and Rosie plays in her cage while answering to the wild birds. That is another fun association to build with him :)

How much sleep is he getting - sleep with no noise, parrots need at least 7 hours sleep but that opinion varies - some say 12. There cannot be any noise or light during that time. Sleep deprivation can cause a bird to be grumpy and unsettled.

Food? He has his seeds, at the beginning he used to have a full bowl, then I started putting less and less and started introducing veggies and fruits in there, so now he eats cucumbers, apples and had some pears the other day.

Dont substitute fruit and veg for his main diet. Is there anyway you can buy parrot pellets for him? They are full of healthy vit/min that your parrot needs. When feeding fruit/veg view it as feeding over and above the pellets/seed. Make sure he has enough intake of seed/pellets.

and im not sure what do u mean by do i have him routined?

One of the super mods will come online just now and she owns a CAG - she will be able to give you great advice on feeding and routining. When I talk about a routine I mean the following:

Same sleeping times and wake up
Feeding fruit/veg etc same times each day - CAGS, like other parrots are super bright and thrive off routine.

Did anything traumatic happen to make him fearful? I gave him a shower the one time and he seemed like he didn't like the water and was sitting still in the corner of his cage after and didn't even try drying himself, I had to blow dry him.

Im sure that he just got a lil fright - next time you try use a mist spray bottle that squirts a fine spray.

From time to time he falls down to the ground and then climbs on the lower part of his cage and there is no way we can take him out there unless its by force, like he'll hold his ground and after minutes and minutes of trying and then letting him stay there for an hour or something and then try again we get frustrated and kinda force lift him outa there to get back in the cage.

Is there any way you can video that and members can help you?? Please dont think that Im only finding wrong things with what your posting - its great that you want to find ways and learn how to interact with your CAG.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
He just sounds a little scared to me. I think you may have rushed things just a little. I'd "start over" ....sit by his cage , with the door open, and let him choose to come out. Talk or sing softly while you sit there. Hold a treat in your hand, and let him choose to come get it. If you need him to go into the cage, put his favourite treat inside. Just interact vocally, and don't force him, for awhile. He'll come around!:)

OP
K

kilo85

Oct 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Parrots
African Grey Congo
He just sounds a little scared to me. I think you may have rushed things just a little. I'd "start over" ....sit by his cage , with the door open, and let him choose to come out. Talk or sing softly while you sit there. Hold a treat in your hand, and let him choose to come get it. If you need him to go into the cage, put his favourite treat inside. Just interact vocally, and don't force him, for awhile. He'll come around!:)

The door of his cage is basically open 90% of the time, he comes out whenever he pleases, but it seems that he doesn't know how to get back in, but I figured out when he wants to go back in, he sits at the edge of the cage and gives me a cute look and makes a bit of noise :D

I talk to him allll the time, I treat him like a baby to a level that my mom keeps telling me i'm better off getting married and getting a baby instead of nursing him lool :09: (she thinks im getting old at 25 hehe =p)

OP
K

kilo85

Oct 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Parrots
African Grey Congo
How long? 3 weeks
How old? almost 5 months

What do you mean about taking him to another room and doing the same method there. Why dont you pop him onto your shoulder or arm and get on with your daily activities - when watching tv let him sit with you, when working at a desk or doing chores around the house let him join in. He is so young and if pressured and pushed can become aggro. Have fun with him for now until you see him starting to enjoy coming out of his cage. Stop "training" him and just let him be with you. You will then find him more eager to leave his cage. Remember, any experience with you is remembered by him and he will associate experiences with you that are either postive or negative.

Do you let him go outside in his cage for fresh air and vit D? Parrots love to be outside in a safe area and Rosie plays in her cage while answering to the wild birds. That is another fun association to build with him :)

How much sleep is he getting - sleep with no noise, parrots need at least 7 hours sleep but that opinion varies - some say 12. There cannot be any noise or light during that time. Sleep deprivation can cause a bird to be grumpy and unsettled.

Dont substitute fruit and veg for his main diet. Is there anyway you can buy parrot pellets for him? They are full of healthy vit/min that your parrot needs. When feeding fruit/veg view it as feeding over and above the pellets/seed. Make sure he has enough intake of seed/pellets.
======================================================

Same sleeping times and wake up
Feeding fruit/veg etc same times each day - CAGS, like other parrots are super bright and thrive off routine.

Im sure that he just got a lil fright - next time you try use a mist spray bottle that squirts a fine spray.

======================================================
Is there any way you can video that and members can help you?? Please dont think that Im only finding wrong things with what your posting - its great that you want to find ways and learn how to interact with your CAG.

No no, im not thinking that at all, I am actually so greatful that u guys r trying to help me, so far this is the only place that I found useful!

1 of the articles I read said not to let him on my shoulder because it'll be hard to teach him later as the parrot will think hes the dominant and not me, he should always be on my hand or a stick around the waste level so when I am looking at him I am actually looking down so he knows im higher and im the dominant one or something along that line...

The fruits and viggies r not a part of his regular diet, he gets a lil bit everyday, at the beginning he wouldn't eat anything but the seeds till I read about that method of putting less seeds in his bowl and introducing 1 kind of viggies and fruits everyday so when hes hungry and runs out of seeds he'll try to other things in his bowl and it worked! :D

When I try to involve him in any sort of activity away from his cage he starts tripping out and taking a poo all over the place, thats y I sorta stopped, but this morning i put news papers on my desk and cleaned everything on it and put him on the desk while I was doing work on my laptop and after like good 20min of tripping out and pooing a # of times he finally settled down and started exploring...

In terms of bathing, when do I do it??? and how many times a week? and when do I stop spraying him? I read they should bath like 2-3 times a week as a minimum, but Im scared to do it again cuz I don't want to scare him off...

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi there,
Great advise from Ecclipse, "high five"
Top on your list, a visit to an avian vet is a must. Let the bird be checked over, peace of mind for a healthy bird.
Sammy is still so young, only five months old, and you have only had him for three weeks. Sammy must have time to settle down and adjust. Just imagine how many new things the bird has encountered, in these three weeks. So many new faces and voices, it must be so scary.
To gain your trust could take days, weeks, months even years. Each and every bird is so different. He obviously feels a comfort zone is his cage.
Sit near the cage, talking and singing to Sammy. Let him become familiar with your voice. Leaving the cage door open, offer him treats through the bars at first. When he willingly accepts them, try placing a treat near the open door. Eventually he will starts taking the treats from the door, make no attempt to touch him. When he does come out, he will probably climb around on the cage. Let him explore in his own time. To get him back in, place a treat inside the cage, making sure it's visible.

For the diet Harrison's pellets are recommended. As well as fresh fruit and veggies, and some plain nuts.

Having routine for any bird is so important, they thrive when things run routinely on a daily basis.

I have as strict routine for my AG Mishka. She is almost 3 years old, has been following this routine from almost day one.
I have combined her normal daily activities with her feeding schedule.
I try sticking to it, sometimes not able to, but do my best.
We awake at 4.30am, go into the bathroom, where I clean her night cage, Mishka lets me clean her beak with water, then rubs her beak against my first. This is a must must for her, if I forget she sure lets me know. We go into the kitchen, her on her feeding perch, we chat while I make my guys their lunch for the day. She is then given 5am 2x 20ml of formula through a syringe. We sit and chat for about 30 minutes, then she goes into her cage.
I leave pellets in her cage for her to nibble on. During the course of the day ( I work from home) I play cd's for her, for an hour, then quiet time, where we chat and go over words she is learning. Mishka thrives on being stimulated, so something is always on the go for her, either a cd playing, we chatting or music is playing, throughout the day.
9am 3 nuts Pecan Almond Cashew plain. 12pm Small chili or chicken bone. 3pm Small pieces of fresh fruit Apple Banana Cranberry, whatever is in season.
5pm Small portion of fresh veggies, nibbles bits of our dinner. After dinner, Mishka plays on her playpen, we play together, chat and just have loads of fun.
7pm Small amount of yoghurt. After her yoghurt, Mishka sits on my lap for about 1 hour. I try not to have any distractions, this is our special one on one time together. I find this is the best time to train her, she sits dead still, giving me the "eyeball" Her beak on my nose, listening to each and every word I say. Mishka goes to bed at 8pm every night. She sleeps in my bedroom, where it is quiet and dark, no one goes in there after Mishka is in there.
Only fresh water in her night cage at night.

Hope this was helpful

Last edited:

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Antoinette's advice is spot on!!!!! She is so right in saying that the cage is his safe place. I think that would be the main focus - let him settle in his safe space and then begin to associate his safe place with you as well as the cage. Being young he will be clumsy so falling of the perch and stumbling around comes with his age.

The vet check is a must - it also gives the vet a chance to see your parrot when he is healthy. I see that your from Dubai so not sure what the vets are like there - try find one that spe******es and works with birds. As far as bathing is concerned, dont worry about that right now. Once the bond forms between the two of you we can help you get him happy and comfortable with taking a bath or being misted. :)

Does he have a runny tummy or does he just make droppings alot when nervous? Please dont get despondant, follow Ant's advice and you will start to see that he becomes trusting. I spray Rosie as much times as she tells me - she will sit at the top of her cage and flap. It depends on how busy I am and what the weather is doing.

Keep us posted - I cant wait to see how the two of you become best friends :)

lisamarie973

Sep 25, 2010
Bradenton, FL.
Parrots
Maui - Male CAG (my baby) (Mom's babies) KiKi - Sun Conure, Fred & Wilma - Fisher Lovebirds, Gully,Sweetie,Baby - Cockatiels, Mork & Mindy - Zebra Finches Luna,Sky,Jilly - Budgies 16 Gouldian Finches
"1 of the articles I read said not to let him on my shoulder because it'll be hard to teach him later as the parrot will think hes the dominant and not me, he should always be on my hand or a stick around the waste level so when I am looking at him I am actually looking down so he knows im higher and im the dominant one or something along that line..."

I know there are several articles or places on the internet that encourages this type of training, I'm certainly NOT an avian expert, however, it is simply my opinion that this type of training should be geared more toward k-9's, as this is HOW they survive in the wild, therefore as humans keep them in captivity as pets, we should replicate what works BEST for them. And for Dogs, they definitely have to know WHO the "TOP DOG" is. This is NOT the case with parrots, however, but in fact, I believe that that theory would only make your parrot much more nervous about you, as they are prey animals and they see ANYTHING that stands OVER them as a threat (OMG, He's gonna EAT me) kinda thing. LOL... I'm not sure what other folks believe about this, but, I would try to keep Sammy at least eye level of you instead of having him below eye level, especially while you're trying to establish trust with him. I've had Maui since he was only 5 weeks old and there are times that if I'm standing over top of him, looking down, he will hunker down, fluff out, look up at me and either whine or even hiss because he's feeling threatened, and I'm pretty much ALL that Maui knows, as far as having a Mommy, Caretaker or what have you. I've established an awesome bond and he trusts me thorougly, but instinct is instinct and it's instinct for a bird of any species to feel threatened by anything that's capable of hovering over the top of them and staring into their eyes.

I wish you the very best with Sammy, I bet anything he will be such an awesome companion and you'll be so pleased that you haven't given up on him. Greys are a tricky type bird to rear, but you're definitely doing the right thing by venturing out and asking questions and doing your research, we all are still learning about our birds or birds in general every single day, and even though we have a GREAT group of VERY experienced and knowledgeable bird lovers, we still are able to learn from each other's experiences just by sharing it right here!! :)
I hope you keep us updated on your progress with Sammy, we'll all be eager to hear, just how wonderfully he's coming along, any guardian that commits to learning, will achieve their goals!!!

OP
K

kilo85

Oct 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
Parrots
African Grey Congo
* Update *

Ok so Sammy is progressing. He knows how to get back into his cage as that was a problem for him before and trying to get him back in was a huge headache.

Hes more hand tamed now, he'll actually step up on my hand from time to time when I pass it to him and will climb all the way up to my shoulder and start biting on my ears, and thats about the time when I get him back to my wrist and he tries to work his way up to my shoulder all over again.

1 new problem. I can't remember if I told u about him climbing to the top of the cage and flapping his wings as soon as I let him out of the cage. Well it seems as he was training his wings to start flying or something, because now a couple of mins after he does that he always ends up gliding a couple of meters away from his cage then lands on the floor and takes a dump. Sometimes he does that to get to me if i'm sitting on the other side of the room and not giving him enough attention. He also tends to run quickly to the edge of the cage and jump on me or if one of us is passing by. His wings r clipped tho...

I have a question about clipping his nails: When should I clip his nails? how do I know they're long? I mean my arms are all scratched up from him =/

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts