I could use some help to settle my female CAG into bed

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Shadow - Six year old Congo African Grey
I bought a five year old CAG today and she will not step off the top of her cage to go to sleep. She was yawning and falling asleep up there but will not come down for peanuts nor corn nor banana... What do I do? I don't want to towel her ever especially on her first night in her home
Silly bird!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
A perch is what I would suggest in using as well....Especially for a new bird, so you don't get bit if she is refusing to come down.

OP
Darci

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
I thought about it but I am so worried about freaking her out. I don't want her to see me as a figure that's threatening. And she just spent two months in a less than savory setting so I don't blame her for wanting to be out

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
Just use the same words over and over every night, "come on, time for bed" if necessary put a towel in one hand and the perch in the other, offer the bird the perch and if necessary start moving the towel towards the bird to make her get on the perch

Two perches can be used the same way (instead of towel)

I know you don't want to upset the bird but she has to know you are the boss and its bedtime, after she is in the cage give her a treat, in 2 or 3 days it will be easy

OP
Darci

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Thanks for the advice. We just had an episode with her flapping around my living room and me terrified she would get hurt. But somehow I ended up with scratches.

I'm as determined as her. It seems I finally met my match

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I'm not a big fan of toweling, except when you need to restrain the bird for grooming or the vet to use. Towels are very intimidating, especially to a brand new bird who was not treated well prior to coming home with you. I do agree with a perch, or even a thick glove to cushion a bite. Just be firm when you command her to step up. I am not surprised on her first night there were some issues getting her back in her cage. She has not learned your 'the boss' yet, nor has she learned the bedtime routine. I will say, parrots are very similar to small children at bedtime. They are tired, which makes them cranky, yet they still don't want to go to bed. They also try to sleep at the highest point (instinctual predator prevention response), so moving an already sleepy bird to a lower perch (i.e. putting her in the cage) probably doesn't set right with her because she wants to be up as high as possible. It may be helpful to put her up a half hour before she gets really tired, and make sure theres a little snack (i.e. some treats) in there so she makes a positive association with returning to her cage at night. Let her calm down and get sleepy in her cage instead of on top:)

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
My BFA always goes to the top of my kitchen cabinets. I always took her food out of her cage and left it out while she was out. Then when it's almost bedtime, I put her food bowl back in her cage and make sure she sees me doing this with a special treat on top. I turn all the lights off and usually within 10 minutes she would go back in. Now that she finally steps up to me though, I have been able to put her back in myself when need be.

OP
Darci

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Thanks for the advice, all. We have a lot of learning to do together. I get the feeling she's a little stubborn but I'm pretty persistent too :)

Darci & Shadow

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Yeah, bribery usually helps.

Frankly, mine sleeps outside the cage, and has a sleeping perch he goes to about 9:30 pm every night. Then he starts reminding me "Time for bed!" Mine only go back in their cages to eat, or to play with their toys.

He actually tells me when it's time for bed.

Frankly, it's been so long since I put any of them away in a cage at bedtime, I don't think I would know how at this point... (nor would they be particularly happy about it.)

OP
Darci

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Yeah, bribery usually helps.

Frankly, mine sleeps outside the cage, and has a sleeping perch he goes to about 9:30 pm every night. Then he starts reminding me "Time for bed!" Mine only go back in their cages to eat, or to play with their toys.

He actually tells me when it's time for bed.

Frankly, it's been so long since I put any of them away in a cage at bedtime, I don't think I would know how at this point... (nor would they be particularly happy about it.)

I have two cats so that is definitely not an option. I don't think they would go after her but I don't want to gamble with her life (or theirs).

I am still having trouble getting her down, when I use the perch she wigs out and flies off (she's half clipped so she can kinda coast a little) but she lets me pick her up once she's on my couch so I started doing that and giving her an almond when I put her in the cage. Is this the right way to train her? Or is her freaking out going to be detrimental to our relationship? when I approach her with my arm, she shies away or tries to bite. I don't have leather gloves and I am worried that doing that would scare her. I am such a nervous first time CAG owner. I have had smaller birds and small parrots but nothing like this before.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Teach your bird the phrase "Time for bed." And do the same thing consistently every night.

CAGS first reaction to everything is "fight or flight." It's normal. Then, when they learn that this is just part of our every day routine. "oh, it's time for bed. That means I step up, get my treat, and go back to my cage."

Don't worry. It'll work out.

OP
Darci

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Oh and for those that wanted to see her, this is my baby.

2s13k1s.jpg

1zbyqfb.jpg

The second one was last night when we had our "flappy bird" incident. She decided my cats don't really need their cat tree. :grey:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
There are actually some pretty cool cat trees, that I always thought would make good bird playstands.

I am especially interested in the ones that look like hollow trees, for species that ordinary nest in tree cavities and cliff dwellers...

I always figured there was a way to incorporate them into the big playstand. (I just haven't done it yet.

OP
Darci

Darci

Jun 12, 2014
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Ya that's actually a great idea. Cat trees are pricey though. Mine had a HUGE one that was $165 but I had to leave it behind when I moved cross-country for grad school. I'm not sure how I could regulate whose is whose (the bird vs. the cats')

Most Reactions