I fell in love today...

Kae

May 18, 2015
California
Parrots
Cockatiel-Artemis 2 Lovies-Angel&Addie Senegal(My dad's)
Oh, he is lovely. I can barely resist the birds at my local store when I buy birdfood. Post an update, will you get him? Those pictures are breaking hearts.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Just now seing this thread. Sounds like you are indeed in love, Shirre. And judging from the look of contentment and utter bliss on that beautiful 'too's face, the feeling is mutual! Like everyone else who has commented, I'm hoping a miracle happens for you, too!

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Wow, that guy just loves you! It really is too bad you can't adopt him. But maybe something will work out! ;)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
He has a hefty ransom though...$700 is a big price for a 17 yr old re-homed bird.

You know Chili is looking forward to a new friend!

Might the pet store negotiate lower for an experienced owner, or are they just mercenary and wish to hold out for a "market price?" :(
If you decide to make the move, I would make it clear their price is out of line, and offer $200! And then tell them, Ya, my offer is ridicules, but so is your asking price!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That's how they suck you in....

At least he still has all his feathers!

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
He's a beaut, that one!
Toos are such magnificent creatures. I'm always in awe of them.

My dream bird is a citron♡♡♡
Just don't know if a Too would kill my little flock out of jealousy. I've heard some horror stories.

Not the re-homed ones, but here they go for thousands.

Awww, Shirre, he's adorable!
Would you be fearful he might hurt Chili?

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Those pictures made ME fall in love ..I just love cuddly birds!! Maybe you could foster Sidney..or just keep visiting .

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I think my plan for now is to just keep visiting him.... And take him some treats and maybe a toy or two if they'll allow it.

I'm not really in the position to adopt another bird at the moment, but if it came down to it I could offer trading a boat load of my handmade perches and toys for him lol

His feathers were a bit unkempt, so it made me think he's been under some stress and/or not bathed very often.

And yep, he sucked me in for sure- even when he was playing hard-to-get lol

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Well, I went back to visit him today...

I talked to the owner again and asked if he could come out of his cage, why he was brought back, etc.

Classic re-homing story- owner gets bit, owner gets scared of the bird and bird never gets to come out of the cage again. :(

I also let her know that he's got an infected preen gland- which I showed her, so she's going to have him checked out. (And apparently he has a 40+ word vocab!)

She also let me leave some treats for him -almonds, nutriberry popcorn, and a walnut- which he couldn't figured out how to open.

She also said I could bring toys and stuff for him, which I'll probably do next time.

I didn't get any pictures from his out-of-cage time today there was an audience and he was VERY nervous, but he did do his crazy bird dance for everyone and briefly stepped up for me lol

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
So Sweet !!!!! Looks like he remembered you :)

akrrm

Apr 29, 2014
New Jersey
Parrots
Swoop~Blue and Gold Macaw (30 years young)
Wow. Having been the person in my family that was the "chosen one" by our LSC2, I would say that looks like a love fest to me. How adorable. :)

Did they say if he's interacted with anyone else that way since he's been back?

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
He does interact with others- there was another lady who was giving him snuggles through the bars when I got there, but so far I'm the only one who's asked to bring him out of the cage. If it had just been the store owner and myself, I'm sure his attitude would've been different, but the crowd of people just really made him nervous.

He let me preen quite a few pins today, and said some new phrases, and wanted to hold my hand through the bars.....I'm sure with time and trust he'll learn to be happy again.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
$700 isn't unreasonable for an Umbie, but I'm not sure Chili would like it! :)

Well, my guess is he has health issues from a poor diet (his ratty feathers and infected preen gland), he's "a biter", and he's "older"....so if I had the cash I'd offer $500 at the most.

And no, chili would not appreciate it lol she was NOT happy about Bandit coming to live with us, but we make it work :)

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I visited Sidney again today....this time I took a toy with me that I made just for him~ it's a seagrass mat cornucopia with oodles of different things.

At first he just really wanted my paper bag, so while I waited for the store owner I let him destroy it through the bars and would tear off pieces for other people to give to him lol (I can't tell you how many times I got asked if I worked there!! LOL)

Finally the store owner finished with her customer and came up so we could put the toy in his cage~ and oh boy, he THOROUGHLY checked out every single part of it lol

He was SO absorbed with his new toy, nobody could get his attention ~we were SO thrilled to see him so happy and so enthralled with his new toy.

Happy bird....

I'm busy.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Awwww... he looks so happy that someone brought him a toy!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Great pictures. I know it was hard for you to walk away AGAIN lol

It's always hard to walk away.... Hubby and I had a chat, and he said no- which I have to respect his decision because I can't get rid of him [emoji6]

BUT!! The store owner said that she REALLY wants to keep him as a store bird~ which IMHO is the best decision in Sidney's case....So hopefully that's what will happen, and then I can see him whenever I want [emoji41]

Most Reactions

Latest posts