I Found Love Again

SaphireSamantha

Nov 1, 2014
Kentucky USA
Parrots
Samantha - Blue and Gold Macaw
Hello everyone! My name is Liz and I have been a long time avian fanatic (as most of my fellow forum goers I'm sure).

For 14 years I had eyes for one man. :blue2: Dante. He was a sweet yet sassy little budgie that captivated my heart. Sadly he passed away almost two years ago. The whole time he and I were flock mates I couldn't bring myself to divide my attention.

Once I felt like the grieving had ended (earlier this year), I began contemplating my next companion. I had a deep desire for a long term commitment that would really love me in return.

I casually walked into my favorite petshop one day (well known for rehoming rather than selling puppy-mill variety pets) and someone grabbed me by the shoulder. Within seconds the grip changed from pulling on my shirt to feet on my arm as Samantha climbed onto me. She looked me in the eyes and didn't make a sound. The shop attendant rushed toward the back shouting about being careful that she bites and stopped dead in her tracks when she saw us. March 2014... We met... and something happened in me that I can't explain... perhaps true love blossomed.

Life has its way of kicking you in the proverbial cahones of course, because there was no way in the world I could justify her adoption at that time. So, we started our courtship. Every month I would either call to see if she was still there and to ask how she was doing or just outright visit. Sometimes staying for an hour.

7 months later I walked in, assuming the worst as it was quiet. I wandered around the fish, the reptiles, and started talking to the shop attendant. Then... I couldn't hold back... "Is Sami still here?" When I said her name, she squawked! I rounded the corner like a kid at Christmas! I shouted her name and began to cry when she recognized me after a few months of only calling. I went over and she came right to me. October 31, 2014. I decided we couldn't keep dancing around it anymore.

She will be delivered on Thursday November 6, 2014.
My darling Samantha.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
What a wonderful story! :) Really heartwarming. It's obvious it was absolutely meant to be that she was available until you could take her home.

I'm sorry about Dante. What kind of bird was he? How old is Samantha?

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
What a lovely story! You guys look like you were meant for each other...in the pic she looks like she's been your bird forever :) congratulations! What a pretty girl!

OP
S

SaphireSamantha

Nov 1, 2014
Kentucky USA
Parrots
Dante was a blue budgie. I think he may have actually been imported from Australia, because he was so much more intelligent and hardy than any other parakeet I had. He out lived two girlfriends. No proof of his origin. I just adopted him from a lady at church during middle school.

Samantha is actually only 9 years old. Apparently she was hatched just outside of Columbus Ohio and raised by a couple who loved her, but wanted to focus on their breeding African Grey pair more. So, she was placed up for consignment at a small non-chain pet shop.

I feel like I am talking so much, but I just can't say enough about her! We are going to grow old together... my husband is kinda jealous LOL

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Dante was a blue budgie. I think he may have actually been imported from Australia, because he was so much more intelligent and hardy than any other parakeet I had. He out lived two girlfriends. No proof of his origin. I just adopted him from a lady at church during middle school.

Samantha is actually only 9 years old. Apparently she was hatched just outside of Columbus Ohio and raised by a couple who loved her, but wanted to focus on their breeding African Grey pair more. So, she was placed up for consignment at a small non-chain pet shop.

I feel like I am talking so much, but I just can't say enough about her! We are going to grow old together... my husband is kinda jealous LOL

Wow, Budgie to Macaw :D. There are lots of Macaw people here to answer any questions you may have. I think the fact that SHE picked you is going to make things so much easier!

Oh, and don't feel like you're talking too much... This is the place to do it!

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
SHE choose you - you responded with love! It's as simple as that, but there is so much magic to it. I'm so happy for both of you!

OP
S

SaphireSamantha

Nov 1, 2014
Kentucky USA
Parrots
@RavensGryf and @Veimar - I hadn't thought of it quite like that! I guess she did pick me after all. I mean, I knew she loved me against all odds. Everyone at the pet shop is so thrilled. We have been calling back and forth over the last couple of days just prepping everything. In fact, my hubby and I are spending our spare fallback hour prepping her living space :blue1:

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Congrats.....that's quite a jump, budgie to B&G macaw.....good luck.....

kendrafitz

Jul 14, 2012
Central NJ
Parrots
Rosie the Green Winged Macaw
Congrats! I agree, she chose you. What a great story! Wishing you both many years of happiness. :)

We have a GW macaw, who is our first and only bird. It is a fun and interesting journey living with a macaw. The love and companionship is beyond compare!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello Liz, welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing Samantha's beautiful story. Talk all you want, we're here to listen. Love the photo. Enjoy your stay.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
What a wonderful story! Falling in love all over again... with birds. I think only us bird people understand that quirky relationship that we develop :D I'm so thrilled that you were able to experience that connection again after having to grieve the loss of Dante.

I look forward to the wonderful stories of you and Sam in the future! She looks so absolutely pleased to be with you in that picture :)

OP
S

SaphireSamantha

Nov 1, 2014
Kentucky USA
Parrots
Thank you all for the out pouring of support and well wishes! :D

:blue1: So I took my husband and mother to visit Samantha today so that they could start working on introductions before she comes home Thursday. Of course, she was thrilled to see me...

My husband = attention thief! She was nice enough when he was working with her on his own, but if she was on my shoulder or I was nearby... lets just say my husband had to learn pretty quickly how to stand his ground and not take her crap. LOL

My mom = arch enemy! There was nothing in the world, not even my reassurance that would even remotely get Samantha to consider interacting with her positively. She just kept lunging and even attempting to chomp off whatever part of my mom was close to her or me. Don't get me wrong, I love my mom, but I don't blame her one bit for wanting to take a chunk out of her. There is just something about a person that will not listen to the caregiver and give the large bird some freaking space :p

3 days between us now!!! I cannot wait!

Last edited:
OP
S

SaphireSamantha

Nov 1, 2014
Kentucky USA
Parrots
OMG!!! The last few days have been amazing! She and I have been cuddling on the couch, dancing around the dining room, and sqwauking any time I leave the room. The cat and dog don't seem too interested in her and she them. So that is a nice way to start their relationship. But oh wow!!! I am in love!!!

:blue1: I will post pics as soon as I get to sit down for a bit cause I have been all about Sammy :)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
She is beautiful, and she was meant to be yours. So glad for you that she's joined your family.

Most Reactions

Latest posts