I got so LUCKY! - This is Cricket!

kodimerlyn

Apr 17, 2015
So a while back I posted about a ACG that I was hoping to adopt from a terrible owner. Thankfully, he was rude and it did not work out (although I feel so bad for the ACG!). The next day I found Manya, which is apparently Russian for Mary. I have decided to change her name to Cricket and we use both names interchangeably right now until she gets used to her new one.

SHE IS AWESOME!! VERY attached to me already and adapted extremely quickly to her new cage and play stand. She wanders all over the kitchen looking for food to steal...I have to watch her very closely! Mostly she just wants to be with me. She gives me kisses, and is very gentle. Loves to have her neck scritched, especially in the evening, and I can pet her back. She will go to anyone and is VERY gentle. Here are some pics (sorry they are so big!)!

kodimerlyn-albums-cricket-picture14499-cricket-up-close.jpg

kodimerlyn-albums-cricket-picture14497-crickets-first-day.jpg

kodimerlyn-albums-cricket-picture14501-cricket-playstand.jpg

kodimerlyn-albums-cricket-picture14496-liam-cricket.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Congratulations! Cricket is gorgeous!
I'm so glad it worked out for you:)
We ended up changing a couple of our birds names, and what worked for us was to use the old name and the new name together, until we eventually dropped the old name...like call her Cricket Manya, and then drop the Manya part after she recognizes the new name:)

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
What a beautiful CAG so happy that things worked out for you getting your long awaited dream bird!:D

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That is a big CAG. Looks like this bird is Tusk's size...

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
That is a big CAG. Looks like this bird is Tusk's size...

I thought she looked pretty big as well! Mark, what does Tusk weigh? How long before he was his adult weight?

Believe it or not, Tusk weighs in at 545 gms. and he isn't fat! Honestly, I don't recall. That was over a decade ago...

HE was 525-ish when I got him just off hand feeding... SO, HE WAS ALWAYS GIANT FOR A CAG!

Seriously, as a baby I set him down next to all the other CAGS, and he was about 1/3 larger. Their heads came up to his neck...

This is one of the better comparison shots. As you can see, lose the tail, and he's the same size as my RFM! So, yeah, macaw sized CAG...

Last edited:

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Cricket is a beauty! Congratulations!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
So tell us a little more about Cricket. How old is she? Is she a she for sure? How much does she weigh? Is she fully flighted? She really is a big beautiful girl!:D

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
She's beautiful! Congratulations!

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
Cricket is adorable and sounds like a wonderful companion. So happy she landed in a loving home.

I just weighed my 11-year-old male Grey, who is fully flighted and not overweight, and he's 585. He's a really big boy.

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
What a beautiful gray she is! Congratulations!!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Beautiful! golly I just love that face!

Jim

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Cricket is adorable and sounds like a wonderful companion. So happy she landed in a loving home.

I just weighed my 11-year-old male Grey, who is fully flighted and not overweight, and he's 585. He's a really big boy.

Yeah. The interior grays are huge... (Silver Grays.)

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
Birdman, can you tell me more about the "interior/silver" greys? I've never heard of that subspecies before. I always wondered why he was so much larger than other birds. Sounds like your Tusk may be from the same subspecies.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's not a subspecies per se... it's where in Africa the bird originated.

I can give you the theory behind it.

CAGS originally migrated to Africa. Some CAGS stopped when they reached the Coastal Areas of Africa. These are the smaller Coastal CAGS. Others kept going, moved inland, and found more food. These are the Interior CAGS, i.e. the SILVER grays.

The theory is the smaller and less hardy birds stayed on the coast, where the larger, stronger birds pushed inland. The rest is straight DARWIN...

There were more Coastal CAGS than interior CAGS legally imported into the US.. so the breeding stock tended to be the smaller birds.

Interior CAGS are SIGNIFICANTLY larger, and some say, less inclined to pluck. 525-625 grams is the norm on these guys which is 100+ grams more than the coastal CAGS. When yours is standing next to one of those 375 gram coastal grays - YEAH - not quite, but almost double the size...

I'm not sure I buy that less inclined to pluck thing. It would be an interesting thing to get feedback on. Mine has no inclination to plucking. He does get nervous easier then the amazons and macaws. I've always thought that had to do more with how they are raised.

This one here definitely looks like a Silver gray to me...

And a 585 gm. bird is definitely a Silver gray, that's bigger than Tusk...

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts