I had a scare!

HalfInsane

Dec 23, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Pixel: female senegal, hatched Dec 15, 2011
We were constantly cleaning, they would all be in the cat food, then the cats refuse to eat and I kept dumping all natural cat food in the trash, they were all over the kitchen counters...made me mad so it was all out war, tried the bait, pesticide spray outside, ant powder, etc. Nothing worked! Then I find out about chalk, it was a cheap solution and I was totally surprised that it worked. I was drawing a circle to trap a ant, he kept going in circles but will not cross the line. I did some on the walls and they all eventually jumped off the wall to get out of the circle.

I have to try this chalk , it sounds crazy ! I want to see it for myself.
I wonder why they dont want to step in it ? Now I will be going around with chalk in hand looking for ants , lolol.
I take a medium size jacket :D

I've tried the chalk thing... it didn't work for me. Little buggers ran right over it like it wasn't even there. Hmmm. Once spring rolls around I'll give it another shot.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
:p
We were constantly cleaning, they would all be in the cat food, then the cats refuse to eat and I kept dumping all natural cat food in the trash, they were all over the kitchen counters...made me mad so it was all out war, tried the bait, pesticide spray outside, ant powder, etc. Nothing worked! Then I find out about chalk, it was a cheap solution and I was totally surprised that it worked. I was drawing a circle to trap a ant, he kept going in circles but will not cross the line. I did some on the walls and they all eventually jumped off the wall to get out of the circle.

I have to try this chalk , it sounds crazy ! I want to see it for myself.
I wonder why they dont want to step in it ? Now I will be going around with chalk in hand looking for ants , lolol.
I take a medium size jacket :D

I've tried the chalk thing... it didn't work for me. Little buggers ran right over it like it wasn't even there. Hmmm. Once spring rolls around I'll give it another shot.

:p colored or white chalk ? :30:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I use the regular white chalk from walmart.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Thanks MikeyTN , I will give it a shot :)

Lolliesmom

Apr 7, 2012
Upstate New York, wayyyy upstate
Parrots
LolliePop
Sunny
I know Im a bit late coming into this thread but I wanted to share what really works to keep the ants out of the cage. Simple, just put the legs of the cage in plates or bowls of water. Ta Da
I have been using this method for years and it works 100%

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
I know Im a bit late coming into this thread but I wanted to share what really works to keep the ants out of the cage. Simple, just put the legs of the cage in plates or bowls of water. Ta Da
I have been using this method for years and it works 100%

I constantly move my cages around, so the birds can be with me, or even to clean under them... Also my cages are very heavy, and I think my back would protest, if I were to lift each leg of the cage up high to put it in a bowl of water... lol

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I move my cage almost daily to clean, but I've thought about putting the legs in a bowl of water myself....

Last edited:

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
Amigo's outdoor cage would get ants in his bowl during the summer. I read somewhere, can't remember where, that vegetable oil on the bars will keep ants away. It works. I buy the non-stick spray canola oil and about every two weeks, give the cage area around where his bowl hangs a good spray and viola! No more ants.

Poor Audrey! That had to have been terrifying for her, especially not being able to get away.

OP
kc_y0

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
interesting to put the legs into bowls! Good idea that! Just for an update, the ants were gone within a week thankfully!! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts