I had an awful morning too!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Poor Terry! Laughing with you, sweetie, not at you! (Guffaw!!!) :D :D :D

I know it's not a competition, but I'm having an interesting morning myself. It's just on 6am, so the drama's all over now, but about an hour ago, I found myself regretting having got up this morning.

Background:

1. We have an outdoor toilet (affectionately known as 'The Dunny').

2. Our dog, Miss Alice, is nearly eighteen and has selective incontinence. By that, I mean she doesn't always bother to go the full distance outside and up the yard to relieve herself. At random intervals, she goes random distances to achieve this end.

3. Our cat, Miss Buffy, has always had an undiagnosed gastric problem which means she vomits at random intervals. Being a domestic longhaired cat, she also hacks up hairballs at random intervals. In addition, she also suffers from the incontinence of extreme old age, since she, too, is verging on eighteen years.

4. I am a 'lady of a certain age' and therefore also victim to the vagaries of a bladder with a mischievous sense of humour.

Synopsis:

The garbage truck was making its noisy way down our street, winking its demonic red eye at me through my bedroom window and assisting me in making the determination that, yes, I really did have to pee and, yes, it really was 5am. You can set your clock by Ernie, our soulless garbage man!

Blearily, I arose and began feeling my way carefully around the bed, out the door and down the hallway. Alice sometimes likes to stretch out full length on the hall carpet, so I didn't want to step in her by accident. I flicked on the computer room light. This gives just enough light to see by without disturbing the birds. It does not illuminate the floor very much (sigh) and so, combined with my spectacles-less state, I wasn't fully aware of every little thing that existed in my path (sigh).

The first thing I encountered was Christine and her Net of Horror. Christine is a Garden Orb Weaver (ie. very large, dark Australian spider, non-venomous but still with a nasty painful bite). She has a merry sense of the ridiculous and knits her large, circular web in a different location every night. Most nights, someone will notice where Christine has set up house and warn everyone else, but not always. Such was the case last night. So, I marched right through the middle of Christine's Net of Horror and was thus constrained to do the dance of 'Christine! Christine! Where art thou?' As it happened, I discovered Christine just a she was dismounting off the front of my nightie. Luckily, I avoided doing a tap-dance on her little head and she scuttled up the yard broom and back into her home among the rafters of the back porch.

Heaving a sigh of relief, I entered the Dunny and achieved that which I had set out to do.

Returning through the computer room, I just happened to look down at exactly the moment I realised something slippery was beneath my foot.

'Oh dear me!' I exclaimed. (That's a bald-faced lie, but I'm fully aware this is a family-friendly forum). Alice had left a small monument in celebration of her love for me and I had stepped right in it and walked it from the computer room, through the laundry and out to the Dunny and back. I flicked on the laundry light to see the full extent of the damage. At roughly three-foot intervals I had left the unmistakable imprint of my own right foot. Forcibly yanking my inner Pollyanna to the surface, I congratulated myself that at least I'd had the foresight to wear thongs. (Not what you're thinking: this is Australia. What you call 'flipflops', we call 'thongs').

Stolidly, I drew a bucket of warm water and suds from the laundry sink and went about the lonely task of removing all vestiges of Alice's Monument with a scrubbing brush. By the end of this task, the swearing had died down a bit and I had control of myself again. Leaving the cleaned brush and bucket in the laundry, I spritzed the area with some disinfectant and then washed my hands with more than my usual diligence. I determined that I would sit down and check the Net before wandering back to bed.

Just as I plomped into my chair, I heard the unmistakable sounds of Buffy hacking up a hairball. It was coming from the kitchen. 'O joy!' I opined, 'Here we go again!'

Buffy had begun at the edge of the breakfast bar and worked her way backwards for a distance of about three feet. It was a prodigious hairball! A veritable paragon in terms of size, sliminess and steam rising from its surface, I just looked at it for fully a minute. Then, I chased Buffy outside and returned to the laundry to take up my trusty red bucket of suds yet again. Just as I swept a final swipe across the now-pristine bench, dear little Madgie greeted me with her first squeal of the morning. It was quarter to six and virtually time to get up.

And so, here I sit typing the charming details of my less-than-salubrious morning just to let you know I harbour no hard feeling toward Christine, Alice, Buffy or even my dear Hunn, who slept through the entire incident and who has still not awoken despite its being 'way past hopping-up time.

I'm gonna make some porridge and pile a few shovelfuls of brown sugar on top of it, just because I can. :rolleyes:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Sounds like you deserve those "shovelfuls" of brown sugar after the morning you had! Hope your day gets better!

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Trish, I absolutely love, love, LOVE hearing your stories! Sorry you had such a... crappy morning, (I know, I know, but I just couldn't help myself!) but know that the sacrifice of your morning's good cheer has not gone in vain. Your story will thoroughly entertain a good number of us. :p

So enjoy your shovelfuls of sugar, Trish. As April pointed out, they are well-deserved.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Trish,

You really need to write short stories for a living. You are absolutely a masterful storyteller!!!

Sorry to be sitting her snickering thru it at your expense, but since you shared so eloquently, I presume you will be very happy to know your efforts resulted in lots of snickers and a few out right laughs that do nothing to help with my ongoing headache... but it was well worth it... sorry for you... but thank you for sharing :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh Trish, YOU WIN! I am falling out of my chair here, and literally felt Christine on my shirt...YIKES.
You are the best story teller, and I am literally transported there with you, from the spider horror, to the sliminess, to the sweet brown sugar.
Thank you for making me feel so much better about MY morning, my friend!
And yep, I am laughing with you as well:)

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I darn near peed my pants, well written and I had a mental picture of the whole hilarious event. :p:D

Ernie the soul-less garbage man!! Bwaaaaa

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
Awww, Trish! I want to laugh and cry for you at the same time!! I'm so glad you're in such good spirits about such.. err.. 'dirty' events. ;)
I love that you have a resident arachnid, by the by. If it was me, Christine would have been politely relocated far far away. I don't mind admiring them from afar, but if one touches me.. Lets just say I get my cardio for the week. :)

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I snickered through out the entire ordeal, sorry to laugh at your expense Trish but you sure do captivate one with your renditions!

the best part for me was Christine and her web of horrors...

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Ohh, we all LOVE your storytelling Trish! I'm so sorry it was non-fiction though... Yuck!!

I kept busting up out loud, and after reading Terry's post also, my husband couldn't believe that I was reading something so funny on the parrot forum! :D It was hilarious.

I still can't get over that your Bull Terrier is nearly 18 :eek: I mean that's wonderful, but wow! That's practically a record for even a SMALL dog!

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
ROFL!!!!!!!!!! OMG, you're a rare story-telling talent, Trish! I am SO NOT a morning person but reading your story at 5.30am as it is now, I was giggling and chocking on my coffee all the way through your tale of woe! Oh dear, tears are streaming down my face!!

Thank you for making me a laughing, jolly morning person today! My family thanks you too for this rare treat of having a smiling, not growling, Michelle to wake up too ;)

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Thank you all for your great reception of my tale of woe! I just thought you'd like to know that Christine has nefariously knitted her Web of Horror directly across the back door and is currently spreadeagled right in the middle of it. This means that if any of my hapless family should walk out the back door (instead of going the other way through the laundry), they will get to enjoy the experience of 'Christine! Christine! Where art thou?' as I did this morning. I told you Christine was quite the little comedienne!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
As usual, I got here late, but I am also a big fan of your amazing talent for story telling. Thank you for brightening my morning. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts