I know how I can get Jenga to eat Harrisons...

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
I just need to make it into a poptart!

LOL

Jenga really, really loves / wants my poptarts. She has been generally quiet since I brought her home a month ago but I've found when I'm eating poptarts she will actually speak because she wants some.

She will also run over and try to snatch them off my plate - silly bugger!

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
We actually do something like this with Ivory, she is a really picky eater. But she loves to steal food from you, so we have made it a habit when we want her to try something, we sit down to 'eat' and let her think she is stealing the food from us.

We cannot get Ivory to eat any pellets more then a nibble to see what it is... so my solution... I used the coffee grinder (hasn't been used for coffee beans in long time, so no worry about contamination), and grind up the pellets and then add them to whatever I know she will eat like scrambled eggs or wild rice with quinoa. She gets to eat what she wants and I sneak in what she needs :)

While its not poptarts, make up birdie breed and put Harrisons into it... kinda like hiding broccoli in brownies, what they don't know can help them!!!

Good luck with the Harrison to poptart conversions :)

Jen

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Avi-cakes have claimed that they can help birds accept pellets because they are made of 50% pellets and 50% seeds, and that if you use them, that many birds will eat pellets after eating the avi-cakes. My birds love them.

OP
Z

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
Thank you both for the tips! Jen, I've tried putting them in eggs but I just crushed them - grinding them is a better idea! She does seem to like breadish stuff so maybe Harrisons tortillas / bread / poptarts etc :p LOL

Gary, I just googled Avi-Cakes, thanks for the recommendation. I saw these at the store but wasn't sure how legit they were so I passed. Thanks for the vote! I've been having a difficult time getting her over ....

I SEE HER eat them, but only when it's convenient for her. ...

Most Reactions