United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
I would never take that chance........

Brave bird OR stupid owner, sorry that's just my personal opinion
I agree with you, antoinette. A dog attack upon a bird can happen so lightning fast that the bird can be seriously maimed or even killed before anyone standing nearby can react to save it. No matter how sweet a larger dog may seem around a pet bird, freak mood swings can and do happen :(

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Haha awwwww cute.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
The picture may be funny, but it would be really nice if it was photoshopped. ;)

In a million years I would NEVER take that risk, and it has nothing to do with not trusting my dogs, it all has to do with common sense and avoiding an accident waiting to happen. :)

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
While a cute photo op, it was a poor choice on the owners part to allow the dog and the bird together. Even if the dog loved the bird, birds are fragile creatures, and accidents can happen. My grandma had a pet crow for years back in the 1960s (when that kind of thing was legal). The crow (Bubbles) and the family dog apparently got along great, and were the best of pals. But sadly, one day Bubbles cuddled up to the dog, and the dog moved his leg the wrong way, and snapped his neck. Bubbles dies instantly. The dog wasn't being aggressive in any way, just cuddling his feathered friend as they often did, but it ended tragically. Larger animals and birds can be friends at a distance, but should NEVER be allowed to physically interact.

plax

Banned
Banned
Jun 29, 2012
United States
Parrots
'Jack' (Blue & Gold),
'Maynard' (Military),
'Zaffer' (Hyacinth),
'Salsa' (Green-wing)
Sometimes it's accidental. And sometimes a larger dog may simply experience a mood swing and snap. Here's an example of a scenario that appears quite cute, but at the same time hints of potential catastrophe:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8qVZITdqgY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8qVZITdqgY[/ame]

Most Reactions