I lost my baby

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I am so sorry!! Mark (birdman) is right, nothing you could have done.

Please contact the breeder and/or store where you got him. Let them know what happened to your baby, especially because many more lives may be in danger. :(

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I am so sorry!! Mark (birdman) is right, nothing you could have done.

Please contact the breeder and/or store where you got him. Let them know what happened to your baby, especially because many more lives may be in danger. :(

Yeah. If it were me, I'd want to have a little talk with the breeder about this...

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
So sorry Walt. My heart goes out to you! I had sissy tested for pdd, when I sent in her blood for Dna sexing.

OP
W

walt44

Nov 9, 2015
I have washed his cage in bleach and bleached all his bowls and just threw away most of his toys after I bleached them. Is there any other kind of cleaner that anyone recommends? I'm going to call the shop tomorrow and let them know this happened. Thanks again for the advice everyone. It helped me thru a really hard time, I'm sure most of you understand. I look forward to getting advice from you all in the future.

OP
W

walt44

Nov 9, 2015
You will be in our prayers for some time to come!

Thank you so much. It means a lot. He was definitely a happy bird while he was here, and I am glad for that. Wish the time would of been a lot longer but I'm sure he's happy where he is at right now too

Attachments

• IMG_20150807_133713.jpg
    IMG_20150807_133713.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 59

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
You'll definitely want to talk to your breeder. PDD is mostly transferred vertically, which is to say from parent to child. I lost my Bixby the very same way. Earlier this year, in fact. I'm so sorry you had to experience this as well.

But as others have said, nothing you could have done would have prevented this. He was almost certainly infected before he was even born.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I am so sorry to hear about this. I too have had the unfortunate PDD experience. IMO there are too many 'breeders' out there who don't know the first thing about contagious disease and transmission :(.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
You'll definitely want to talk to your breeder. PDD is mostly transferred vertically, which is to say from parent to child. I lost my Bixby the very same way. Earlier this year, in fact. I'm so sorry you had to experience this as well.

But as others have said, nothing you could have done would have prevented this. He was almost certainly infected before he was even born.

EXACTLY! That's why I'd want to have that "little talk" with the breeder...

OP
W

walt44

Nov 9, 2015
When I called the shop they only wanted to talk about how I would not get my money back, which I did not mention at all. Even if I would have gotten the tests done and found out in the "warranty" time frame, I would not have returned him. I fell in love within a couple days of having him. I know it was a lot of money but I don't know what they do with returned birds that have something like that, and I know he had a pretty good short life with me. I am pretty sure Larry had a brother and I asked then about him and they said they would contact who they needed too.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I know just what you mean about not returning him even if you'd known. Once they've got your heart, they've got it. I felt the same way about Bixby, and still wouldn't trade away the time I had with him.

And Bixby had a brother as well. I was actually able to make contact thanks to Wendy's (JerseyWendy) perceptiveness combined with wild coincidence.

Unfortunately, his brother died maybe a month after Bixby did. But at least I was able to fill in the blanks for the other parront.

It's a shame that shop was viewing Larry as just a commodity. I do hope they warn the other parront, but somehow I doubt they will.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It's a shame that shop was viewing Larry as just a commodity. I do hope they warn the other parront, but somehow I doubt they will.

It's disgusting. Of course they're not going to call the other owner since all they assume is that they will be asking their money back. I wonder if they will even bother contacting the breeder to get to the root of this? Or if they will still keep purchasing birds from there? Again, I'm sorry.

StephenAndKyleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Dallas, TX
Parrots
Kyleigh, B&G Macaw -
Peanut, Yellow Collar Mini Macaw -
Aaliyah, Green Wing Macaw
I couldn't imagine going through this with any of my fids. My heart goes out to you.

OP
W

walt44

Nov 9, 2015
Thanks again everybody. I started feeling better with being busy for the holidays but tonight feels the same if not worse. I miss him so much still. I hope all is well with everyone's feathered companions!!

Most Reactions