I need a sincere advice on these parrots please- Is it mealy or yellow naped

OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Do birds go through quarantine when they arrive in your country? Are birds sold in private homes or through a store? I love traveling and learning about different cultures. What will you do with the birds you acquire? Egypt has always been a country I would like to visit.

Hi Merlee,

Yes, They go through quarantine if they are imported from specific countries especially south Africa or any suspected country that could have a known pest etc, The ones with cites usually don't go through quarantine they are just quickly checked by the vet at the airport and they may visit you after 7 days to check up on the bird and that's it.

Birds are sold through many channels, There is a bird fairs every Friday being held in cairo, From Budgies, canaries to the large ones including accessories etc. Prices depends on availability etc. Also, There are some private breeders, some sells their birds via online ads on local sites etc as well and in newspaper.

I love birds since my childhood, I've owned many kinds of it and enjoy training and raising it.

You are welcome to visit Egypt at anytime, I assure you will enjoy it and there are plenty of places that deserve to be visited at least once in a lifetime and people are very friendly.

Sincerely

OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Morning Guys & Gals,

Here are 2 pictures of another bird from the same imported batch. Does this one look like YNA/Mealy/hybrid for you? It has the same bluish head as well. It comes with cites too and microshipped and it's age is 8 months if it can be of any help. Just trying to get an overview of this batch to determine if there is any misidentification or so.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
From what i see, that's a nape also.

OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Hey Merlee, Thanks for sharing the pics, I came across them while googling this. I will go and take another look at the 2 birds on wed-thurs to confirm few things that I gathered from the great posts and advices on this thread. I will be getting one of them home this week too. Wish me luck. Sincerely,

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Does that mean your joining the forum ? Help out some others who are new to parrots.We are always wanting to talk birds with folks in different parts of the world. That and new things about keeping our birds happy and healthy. Hope to see you and your new zon around on the forum. BTW be aware of that macaw group , they're kinda weird, i think they have a little outlaw in them.

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
figured that get a response, LOL

OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Hey henpecked , Yep indeed, It's a honor to me to join you and I'm really happy that I found this forum (That's why google is my best friend xD) lol @ macaw forum, BTW, I have a B&G macaw xD.

P.S: As I said, I'm going to take a look at the bird that I provided the 2 picture + video before which is supposed/identified as yellow naped, I will double check on the red bends feathers if i can find it then i will go ahead and get it as i always wanted a yellow naped. Do you have any other advices for me while taking the second look at that bird as I'm going to get it home on that day as well.

Sincerely,

Last edited:
OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Hey Wendy, Thanks for your wishes and I'm sure everything is going to be great :D , Since we both own zon( as to be for me xD) & macaws I think we are considered to be double agents xD

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
I think both of those babies are YNA, i'd get the one who likes you the best, or get the hen, IMO. I'm partial hen napes myself. I knew you had a macaw , that's why i threw that in,LOL Maybe i should get a GW, naah, my hen nape wouldn't stand for it.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hey Wendy, Thanks for your wishes and I'm sure everything is going to be great :D , Since we both own zon( as to be for me xD) & macaws I think we are considered to be double agents xD

HAHAHAHA!!! I love it! Double Agents. That is so funny!!! :D

OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
I think both of those babies are YNA, i'd get the one who likes you the best, or get the hen, IMO. I'm partial hen napes myself. I knew you had a macaw , that's why i threw that in,LOL Maybe i should get a GW, naah, my hen nape wouldn't stand for it.

Hey, Thank you so much. Regarding sexing that's impossible at least until i get it then I can do the blood work/DNA by feathers etc, The sex for both of the babies is identified as unknown on the cites. I wish I can get a female due to all of the hormonal stuff and as they prefer their opposite sex.

My uncle have a GW macaw which has a loud screaming that makes me not to want one of them, My B&G is not a screamer (once a day if any to be honest) I don't know what will happen when he matures. B&G screams can't be compared to GW at all, It's horrible.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
There is hope for you regarding the macaw screaming. My Merlin, a blue and gold, did a lot of that when he was younger. At age 12 he has mellowed out quite a bit. He rarely screams and when he does, it's because he's alerting me that there is a stranger out front. He's better than the German Shepherd I own. lol.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA

Ya don't know what you're missing by not having a macaw. :D

Most Reactions