I need a sincere advice on these parrots please- Is it mealy or yellow naped

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
OH yes i do, my other family members had macaws. I grew up with macaws in the house. If i wasn't so involved with all these zons ,i'd have another GW. Just have my hands full.

Last edited:
OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Hi Moody,

Any updates yet? Have you made a decision??? :)

Hey Wendy,

How are you? I'm leaning toward the DYH, My wife also wants the DYH due to it's coloration, I saw them again few hrs ago, The DYH when it saw me today for the 2nd time I felt that it's more friendly than that nape, DYH even talked on my hand, Also, I got a closer look at the leg band and the cites and it's even turned out to be younger, It turned out to be 8 months old, So, it looks like I'm going to get the DYH as I feel it's much more smarter than the other nape and my wife also preferes DYH for it's coloration.

So, It seems that I'm going to get the DYH tomorrow, Do you have any other advices regarding that? :D

Thanks again for following up.

Sincerely,

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012

You and your wife will LOVE your DYH! You will have SO much fun together, I promise. Yes, they are QUITE colorful, they get more and more yellow on their heads as they mature. AND the red on the wing will become more prominent as well.

Here is a picture of my Quincy (RIP my sweet bird). He was about 4 when this picture was taken, and he was magnificent!

OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Thanks Wendy. Your Quincy ( RIP) was amazing as your current ones. Thanks for the wishes and I will keep you posted once I bring it home.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thank you!!

Yes, please please keep us updated once you bring your new baby home. We all LOVE pictures. ;)

You must be SO very excited, and your wife, too. :D If the DYH was comfy enough on your hand to start chattering/talking to you, I think you will be the perfect match. :)

Parrots

Feb 18, 2013
Media
Oregon
Parrots
Blue-crowned Mealy Amazon - 12 yr old female named Oz

Goffin's Cockatoo - 3 yr old female named Cookie (Monster, but it has nothing to do with "cookies")

Half-moon Conure - 2 year old Monkey (he
Hi,

A Mealy Amazon has the most intense red around the pupil at all times and especially when interested.

The body is also "dusty" looking on the back of the bird, as though it was dusted with very fine white powder.

The Mealy is also the BIGGEST Amazon, twice as large as a Blue-front Amazon.

The Mealy also has a horn-colored beak (whitish) which can also be part black. The beak is flat on the upper curve almost to the tip.

The Mealy eyering is large and white.

I do not think you have a Mealy Amazon in that pic.

Looks nothing at all like mine.

Hope this helps.

OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Morning Guys & Gals,

Sorry for the late update. I've went the DYH route and finally s/he is home. The CITES cert says it was born/hatched on May 1st 2012, The origin is from Belgium, I didn't name it yet but he is actually saying his name which is koko so dunno if we will change it or just leave it as is it.

The bird said 6 words so far and said a long sentence in a foreign language, The bird was imported from Belgium, I didn't understand what it said lol but it stayed around 1 month at the place that i got it from and it learned few words and says most of them clearly. It's stepping up with no problem, and sometimes there is some fear and it doesn't want to step up so i leave it.

I'm feeding it fresh veggies, fruits, nutribird p15 tropical pellets which I like it's smell too lol...bought a new cage with a play stand on the top with few toys(didn't hook the rest as the birds is getting afraid of new objects introduced in the cage) so doing this slowly.

The bird needs a bath but delaying this for a bit as the weather is not that good and is a bit cold also letting the bird to adjust well first to the new environment.

Here are some pics, I'm sorry for the resolution because i took it using my blackberry, I will get a new camera soon :)

Thanks again to all of you especially henpecked , Wendy, Merlee and all of the rest and I'm open to any ideas, thoughts, opinions.

Sincerely,

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Thanks SO much for the update!!! What a pretty bird! You just wait, he'll be talking your ear off in no time. ;)

I think he/she is young enough so you can rename him if you wanted to. :)

And don't be afraid to give him a bath. Amazons usually LOVE water and baths.

Oh and please don't be a stranger, please keep us in the loop (informed) on how things go with your new baby. :D

OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Hey,

Thanks a lot! I will keep you posted, Thanks again for all of the help. I appreciate it. Thanks

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Welcome to the wonderful world of amazons , hope to see you around.

Parrots

Feb 18, 2013
Media
Oregon
Parrots
Blue-crowned Mealy Amazon - 12 yr old female named Oz

Goffin's Cockatoo - 3 yr old female named Cookie (Monster, but it has nothing to do with "cookies")

Half-moon Conure - 2 year old Monkey (he
Not a Mealy; wrong color eyes and beak.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Hey Hey Wendy,

Hope you are fine and doing well. Thanks for asking and here are some pictures for you. He is destroying all of his wood toys and carrying the wood blocks(Toys parts) everywhere playing and chewing on them. He likes fruits especially bananas so much also playing on the rope swing. He is going insane whenever I cage him when everybody needs to go to bed, he just wants to stay out with us all day and night. Hope your's are fine too, Pics to share? ;)

Last edited:
OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Here are more 2 fresh pics

20130326126.jpg

20130326127.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
HI MOODY!

Thank you SO SO much for the update and the awesome pictures. WHAT a beauty he is!!! :D And it sounds like he is VERY comfortable and extremely happy with you and your family, which is fantastic!!! I'm smiling from ear to ear now!

So I guess you are VERY happy with him, yes???

I just posted some pictures of my young Sam (DYH) today, here is the link to it. ;)
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/29506-almost-1-coloring-nicely.html

It was AWESOME hearing from you!! :)

OP
M

Moody

Feb 10, 2013
Hey,

Thank you too! Indeed I'm pretty happy with him. Who wouldn't be around an amazon? They are moody birds (funny, talkative, playful, affectionate and sometimes they are nippy) I hate routines xD ;) Thank you Again Wendy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts