Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Is that cage type typical for what is available in Bulgaria? Are cages more like this available?

.jpg

The reason I ask - yours is a zinc coated wire type, more suitable for chickens then parrots, and they can easily get metal poisoning from little metal chips and dust from the zinc. Good on you for putting in natural wood perches, but if you want the little guy to stand on the front of the cage and do anything with you, well, imagine you trying to stand on a piece of wood the diameter of a pencil. Not very comfortable , right? Plus yours is starting to rust in spots .

SO if a real parrot cage is within your budget, I would suggest that little Nanday be given an early Christmas present of a new parrot cage. Biggest one you can afford.

He is really cute and I bet he could turn into a nice snuggling conure, but you have to start treating him like you are worthy of being snuggled.

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
Is that cage type typical for what is available in Bulgaria? Are cages more like this available?

.jpg

The reason I ask - yours is a zinc coated wire type, more suitable for chickens then parrots, and they can easily get metal poisoning from little metal chips and dust from the zinc. Good on you for putting in natural wood perches, but if you want the little guy to stand on the front of the cage and do anything with you, well, imagine you trying to stand on a piece of wood the diameter of a pencil. Not very comfortable , right? Plus yours is starting to rust in spots .

SO if a real parrot cage is within your budget, I would suggest that little Nanday be given an early Christmas present of a new parrot cage. Biggest one you can afford.

He is really cute and I bet he could turn into a nice snuggling conure, but you have to start treating him like you are worthy of being snuggled.

There are cages like this available but they are usually very expensive like 1000+( 1200-1300) BGN, which is almost twice my curent sallary. I don't think it will be possible to get a new one soon :( . And yes the front of the cage is uncomfortable, any ideas how to improve it ?

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
25b592ced0fa8c40d3341b49d7621dcb.jpg

Even small less expensive like this would be more safe for his health. This is

CherylCali

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
I'll have that in mind, maybe save up some money. Is it normal for this types of cages to be that expensive? The average monthly salary in Bulgaria is around 950 BGN and the cheapest cage of that type that I've found so far was 890 BGN ( atleast the big ones, the smaller should be cheaper I'll check them out too )

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
Only a guess, but that price probably is due to importing and shipping. I would think something equivalent made there might be less costly.

CherylCali

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
Only a guess, but that price probably is due to importing and shipping. I would think something equivalent made there might be less costly.

CherylCali

You're right, most of them are imported from Belgium. I'll try to find a local manufacturer (if there is one :( ) or atleast one from a bordering country ( Greece or Romania should probably have some manufacturers )

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Used cage too is an idea, there must be used cages some where in Bugaria. Just make sure to clean them really well , I mean realy really well, and leave in the sun for a few days to kill any germs or bacteria.

SO what kind of fruits will you feed Nanday tomorrow?

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
SO what kind of fruits will you feed Nanday tomorrow?

I was thinking some veggies, maybe some carrots and peppers, like you recomended. My grandparents actually grow hot peppers, so atleast I'll know that they are clean and organic.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
If he is anything like Salty, he will love the peppers, the carrots well, they are there why not try them. Give him all the pepper, just not the stems.

So cool chatting with someone from the other side of the world, with the same interests, isn't it?

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
If he is anything like Salty, he will love the peppers, the carrots well, they are there why not try them. Give him all the pepper, just not the stems.

So cool chatting with someone from the other side of the world, with the same interests, isn't it?

It certainly is :) He did liked the peppers, but is not much of a fan of carrots (like his owner :D ) . I also gave him some melon again, he likes it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Cooked or raw. Some Parrots like them one way or the other. Salty likes his cooked.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Just saw this thread... and yeah its NEVER too late. Just be patient. As for melons.. both of my babies love cantelope/honeydew and DONT toss the seeds from either of them. Both of mine love the seeds after I dry them out for a few days... they relish them like a special treat. I have never really tried teaching my birds tricks but I do my best to communicate with them. Birds are very smart and by using simple words and phrases at the right times and place they learn to understand you, learn what is expected of them as well as what they expect of you. Establishing trust is your # 1 goal... but be aware they are triggered to a great extent by instinct... like the territorial nip u get putting a hand in a cage. Knowing that you can respect that... and NEVER take it personal or let it hurt your feelings if u get bit. I have 2 really great sweet loving trusting birds that I love dearly but IF im not paying attention even I can get nailed... and when that happens its not the birds fault.. its mine. Now start giving that sweet lil critter the love and affection he deserves and I'll bet $$ you will get the same in return.

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
Cooked or raw. Some Parrots like them one way or the other. Salty likes his cooked.

Raw, he ate some of it from my hand but didn't touch the ones in his bowl, I'll try with cooked too.I also gave him some apple for dinner, which he has eaten before and likes it.

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
Just saw this thread... and yeah its NEVER too late. Just be patient. As for melons.. both of my babies love cantelope/honeydew and DONT toss the seeds from either of them. Both of mine love the seeds after I dry them out for a few days... they relish them like a special treat. I have never really tried teaching my birds tricks but I do my best to communicate with them. Birds are very smart and by using simple words and phrases at the right times and place they learn to understand you, learn what is expected of them as well as what they expect of you. Establishing trust is your # 1 goal... but be aware they are triggered to a great extent by instinct... like the territorial nip u get putting a hand in a cage. Knowing that you can respect that... and NEVER take it personal or let it hurt your feelings if u get bit. I have 2 really great sweet loving trusting birds that I love dearly but IF im not paying attention even I can get nailed... and when that happens its not the birds fault.. its mine. Now start giving that sweet lil critter the love and affection he deserves and I'll bet $$ you will get the same in return.

Thank you for the encouragement!
I just want to reach the point when he is not afraid of me and has learned to step up and lets me pet him.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Do pay attention when feeding your lil youngin. You mentioned him doing the beak drag back and forth .. I think when you gave him a treat. That is him telling you something.. "mess with my treat ill kick your butt" is what he is telling you. From what I know of conures they are VERY protective over their food. My lil Booger makes several lil moves including the beak drag.. also a slow vertical head bob with a head sway like a cobra. Again.. he is being defensive over food.. AND he will behave the same way over a toy he is playing with. When I first got Booger and would hand feed him treats instead of taking the treat he might do a lil head bob then bite the crap out of me. His instinct was kickin in to protect the food .. no matter that I was the one giving it to him. It didn't take long before he figured he didn't need to protect his food from me but still that lil switch flips on now and then... like this morning when wifey was holding the lil mobile treat bowl, he was on the rim munching away then did a lil sway and bit her finger.. lol. Wifey knows it comes with the territory that u can get a nip at treat time.
Birds communicate verbally, with touch, and with gestures so make an effort to learn his and he will learn yours. And if your bird seems to be hand scared... don't hesitate to offer an arm for him to step up on first. Another thing you might note... when you go to (attempt) to pet a bird don't bring your hand in from over his head, approach from the side maybe with just one finger to give him a lil cheek scratch. Be polite... ASK him if you can pet him.. with my birds its a "rub his head?" question while rubbing my thumb and forefinger together. Now when I do that gsesture their heads will bow to accept. You might try this thru the cage bars first if your finger will go thru. They feel a lil safer and if he decides hes not willing yet you lessen your chance of getting nailed. Once you get to touch without getting bit you can work in to more intense attentions... like belly rubs, under the chin, and foot rubs. Its all about yall learning to trust one another.. Got my fingers crossed for ya. Good luck.

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
Hi guys, sorry for not posting for so long, I was away from home for allmost a month, I got back this Sunday.Anyway I've been spending a lot of time with Nandy since I got back and now he screeches a lot less, he seems very confortable around me and he's not afraid of my hands anymore even when I reach into his cage ( he's not totally ok with it but he figured out that he will get fresh water and food when I do it and he tolerates it) He is very comfortable with my hand and usually comes towards it when he sees it and there is no nipping and biting, I even touched his foot by exident and it didn't bother him. I think he hasn't figured out yet that I want him to step up but It's been just a few days since I've been trying. The important thing is he is not scared anymore and he enjoys me beeing around him even if Im not interacting with him he seems happy for just beeing in the same room with him :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions