I need help with my Nanday

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
I bought pellets yesterday, gave him some seed mix for breakfest then I took them away and putted pellets and went out. I came back after 6-7 hours the pellets were untouched and he was really really hungry. I know that it's been just one day but it seemed that he didn't even tried the pellets and I feel bad for leaving him hungry.. :(

Dorene

Aug 23, 2016
I bought pellets yesterday, gave him some seed mix for breakfest then I took them away and putted pellets and went out. I came back after 6-7 hours the pellets were untouched and he was really really hungry. I know that it's been just one day but it seemed that he didn't even tried the pellets and I feel bad for leaving him hungry.. :(
I have two green cheek conures..... one won't touch pellets and one won't touch Nutriberries. Pellets are the ingredients of Nutriberries but ground up. Food for thought......

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
I grinded some pellets and he ate some from my hand, he doesn't eat them if they are not grinded into smaller peaces. I'll try moistering the pellets with hot water and see if he likes them that way tomorrow

Dorene

Aug 23, 2016
I grinded some pellets and he ate some from my hand, he doesn't eat them if they are not grinded into smaller peaces. I'll try moistering the pellets with hot water and see if he likes them that way tomorrow
I made a mistake..... Left out a word....nutriberries are the same ingredients of pellets NOT ground up so it's supposed to satisfy their forraging.

My bird who doesn't like them takes his pellets and dips them in his water bowl before eating. The two of them pretty much look identical but are so different, lol

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
He eats allmost every new food from my hand, but wont touch most of them when they are in his bowl ( except friuts, he really likes fruits)

jagrooten5

Sep 7, 2016
If you're trying to get him to eat pellets you could try smashing them up and coating a piece of melon in the dust. I tried that, my bird picked around it and ate the cantaloupe only but it helped her to get used to the taste. After that I did what you do, took the seeds out after a bit and left the pellets in all day. She was converted to pellets in one day!
You can also try leaving random bits of pellets in his cage for him to find. For some reason when they find it they are more excited about eating it. My bird won't eat green beans if they're in her bowl but if I hang them from the ceiling somehow it makes her feel like a wild bird 😂

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
You are doing great! Most of my birds were older when I got them and some did not get much handling, but they did all come around eventually, so there is always hope.

Caging-we have something called craigslist here where people sell used things to each other, do you have something like that where you are? You are likely to find a nice cage for much less. As was said before though, clean it very very well and then rinse very very well.

Food-you are doing great there. It takes time for a lot of t hem to get used to new foods. The fact that he tries almost anything from your hand is awesome. He trusts you to give him things and knows they are not dangerous if from you. As far as the pellets, why not try grinding them down and putting a few in with his seed mix? He might try it then. You can also put multiple bowls in the cage. Sometimes a different way of putting in food can be interesting to them, even just a different bowl. You can also hang some veggies-like carrots and he can tear them apart, so it's a toy and food.

Beak dragging-my conure does this when excited. Sometimes when she is mad, sometimes just overly happy/excited. I know she's starting to get overly excited when she does a lot of beak banging, dragging and head bopping. ;) I am more likely to get bit during those times so we do mellow time for a few minutes.

Toys-those will encourage exploration. If you haven't given a ton of them start slow, they may make him nervous. Put one near the cage and play with it when you walk by. Start offering it to him. If he doesn't seem frightened hang it in the cage. You can buy a toy or you can make your own.

He's a beautiful bird and it's wonderful that you are trying to help make his life more complete and in the process getting yourself a new friend.

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
You are doing great! Most of my birds were older when I got them and some did not get much handling, but they did all come around eventually, so there is always hope.

Caging-we have something called craigslist here where people sell used things to each other, do you have something like that where you are? You are likely to find a nice cage for much less. As was said before though, clean it very very well and then rinse very very well.

Food-you are doing great there. It takes time for a lot of t hem to get used to new foods. The fact that he tries almost anything from your hand is awesome. He trusts you to give him things and knows they are not dangerous if from you. As far as the pellets, why not try grinding them down and putting a few in with his seed mix? He might try it then. You can also put multiple bowls in the cage. Sometimes a different way of putting in food can be interesting to them, even just a different bowl. You can also hang some veggies-like carrots and he can tear them apart, so it's a toy and food.

Beak dragging-my conure does this when excited. Sometimes when she is mad, sometimes just overly happy/excited. I know she's starting to get overly excited when she does a lot of beak banging, dragging and head bopping. ;) I am more likely to get bit during those times so we do mellow time for a few minutes.

Toys-those will encourage exploration. If you haven't given a ton of them start slow, they may make him nervous. Put one near the cage and play with it when you walk by. Start offering it to him. If he doesn't seem frightened hang it in the cage. You can buy a toy or you can make your own.

He's a beautiful bird and it's wonderful that you are trying to help make his life more complete and in the process getting yourself a new friend.

Thank you :)
We have sites like craiglist, Ill look them up I also found some decent ones for a reasonable price, at a store nearby.Ill save some money and get a new one. About the pellets- Im trying what you suggested right now and Ill slowly decrease the amounts of seed. I think he is starting to like the pellets espesially from my hand. He is a little angry with me for messing with his food but he is starting to like them so we'll be ok :D . Ill get him some chewing toys he likes destroying things :D

OP
AngelNikolov

AngelNikolov

Sep 1, 2016
Sofia, Bulgaria
Parrots
Nandy, Nanday Conure
He's not yet stepping up but he puts one foot on my finger and strats exploring my hand with his beak, which I think is good but after he does that for a while he'll sudenly start to screech really loud for no apperant reason and flaps his wings. I don't know what Im doing wrong here, my neighbours from upstairs where moving some thing and were loud but I don't think that that's the reason because they're allways loud. He's not scared from hand he allways comes towards it when he sees it, he looks like he is enjoying himself when he interacts with it..... he'll stick his head between my fingers, he'll put one foot on my hand, he is not scared when I move my fingers, I even touch him a little bit and he's not bothered by it and then suddenly starts screeching and flapping wings.... :(

Last edited:

Most Reactions