I really need advice please on Rosie's biting - would be so grateful :)

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
RIP Hugo (African Brown Headed Parrot) 2 years old, lil Rosie May (Lovebird)
Hahahahahaha - we could all have vinegar scented furniture!!!! Rosie is always chowing the top of my couch - lol

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
I have devised a plan - heehee. I put Roise on the floor which she hates and lie flat on my stomach. I then take her blankie over my hand and show it to her. She then RUNS faster than usual to get into her blankie. Before I get to her I place my hand in front of the blankie hand so that she has to touch my hand before getting onto her blankie....its worked once so far - will see how that goes :)

bogo1

Jun 22, 2010
Media
Albums
Missouri
Parrots
Sam (GCC)
Gem (CBC)
Merry and Teechka (parakeets)
and non FIDS:
Harvey and Jed (dogs) Jolte and Churney (cats) Twister and Mac (horses) Nikolas and Aleksndr (ducks )
Well that is very clever! How is it going!

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
When Sterretjie wants something, for instance Craig and I put my hand in front of her then she bites me to get to him. BUT Sterretjie is a bit of a mental case.:rolleyes:

Plus Rosie loves her blankie and Sterretjie hates Craig, so I suppose what I just wrote has absolutely no relevance at all!
122fs329172.gif

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Oh Linky I know what you mean about the couch. I have mine covered with so many towels it looks silly. Rosie still manages to find the sofa and make lots of bites. guess they like the material. Nest building instinct? Makes me wonder if male birds to this.

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Oh Linky I know what you mean about the couch. I have mine covered with so many towels it looks silly. Rosie still manages to find the sofa and make lots of bites. guess they like the material. Nest building instinct? Makes me wonder if male birds to this.

Lol - Hugo used to chew the couch all the time but I didnt know his sex so maybe he was a girl ;)

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Well that is very clever! How is it going!

I have only started today but have seen results. She is desperate to get to me but has been backing off. I have been leaving her and if she runs away I leave and ignore her - she hates it. She hops over my finger but its ok because at least she is moving over my hand. I will then try increase the distance of the blankie and my hand so that she has to step onto my hand. So far she is doing ok. I have been very strict about it and she does not come to me without steppin over my finger. Will see what tomorrow brings :)

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Just wanted to update you folks on how things are going. The methods advised are amazing and Rosie is successfully stepping up onto my finger. She still doesnt let me scratch her but lowers her head and then backs out....am sure she will learn to trust once she is comfortable with stepping onto my hand. You guys/gals have really helped me - thank you! :) I cant wait to post a pic of her letting me scratch her - watch the space ;)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
It is always good when what we do to solve a particular behavior issue is solved through a group effort of the forum members.

goodpost.gif
Everyone.

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Couldn't agree more SB - hope you and Rosie are well :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Just wanted to update you folks on how things are going. The methods advised are amazing and Rosie is successfully stepping up onto my finger. She still doesnt let me scratch her but lowers her head and then backs out....am sure she will learn to trust once she is comfortable with stepping onto my hand. You guys/gals have really helped me - thank you! :) I cant wait to post a pic of her letting me scratch her - watch the space ;)

Glad Rosie is stepping up YOU GO GIRL !!!!!!!!!
One question no-one has ever asked you, how big are your hands ?
hehehehehe could not resist that one Sis

OP
Ecclipse

Ecclipse

Oct 24, 2009
Southern Africa
Parrots
Lol - I was trying to download a pic with huge hands but the net is its own boss!!!!!

I have a question for you guys/gals:

When I sit with my hands near Rosie and try edge my finger towards her she will drop her head and I will then think she wants her head scratched. She will then tap the table or side of couch a couple of times and raise her head. She is still not letting me scratch her but is much better with stepping up. Anyone know why she taps the table? I looked on the net but didnt see anything about beak tapping?

Any ideas? :)

Most Reactions