May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
So, I've always known something was "off" with my little Pepper-bird. Even when he was in the pet store, he avoided all the other birds and just frantically walked in circles. When he came home, he hid under my bedside table for 3 days straight! It wasn't until recently that I noticed he usually just uses his left eye to look at everything. I think this is a pretty good indication he may have a hard time seeing in the other eye, what do you guys think?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I am curious on what other responses will be... I would assume if a birds eye sight were effected that falls, and things would be taking place. I could be wrong though. Maybe wildlife adapts better then I would to this situation.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
All I know for sure is that I am so glad YOU have him and will love and care for him. Bless you!.
My Rickeybird has lost some sight over the years. Our vet has some machines that can detect and quantify it. I'm not sure how common/available this stuff is, but maybe you could pursue...

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
All I know for sure is that I am so glad YOU have him and will love and care for him. Bless you!.
My Rickeybird has lost some sight over the years. Our vet has some machines that can detect and quantify it. I'm not sure how common/available this stuff is, but maybe you could pursue...
Hopefully, I have a vet appointment next Friday.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
So, I've always known something was "off" with my little Pepper-bird. Even when he was in the pet store, he avoided all the other birds and just frantically walked in circles. When he came home, he hid under my bedside table for 3 days straight! It wasn't until recently that I noticed he usually just uses his left eye to look at everything. I think this is a pretty good indication he may have a hard time seeing in the other eye, what do you guys think?
That sounds like my Lucy, who was definitely blind on one side. Her eye had been punctured and was deflated. When I carried her she would gaze at me and keep the blind eye out. Lucy was protective of her blind side when she first came to live with me but stopped that behavior, at least with me.

Does Pepper’s presumed blind eye look any different than the other? Is it whitish or opaque; deflated; pupil a different shape, etc? I’ve seen all those changes in eye-damaged birds.

Good luck getting more info. It does sound expensive, though, if pepper isn’t otherwise Ill to take him in for something you can’t do much about.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
That sounds like my Lucy, who was definitely blind on one side. Her eye had been punctured and was deflated. When I carried her she would gaze at me and keep the blind eye out. Lucy was protective of her blind side when she first came to live with me but stopped that behavior, at least with me.

Does Pepper’s presumed blind eye look any different than the other? Is it whitish or opaque; deflated; pupil a different shape, etc? I’ve seen all those changes in eye-damaged birds.

Good luck getting more info. It does sound expensive, though, if pepper isn’t otherwise Ill to take him in for something you can’t do much about.
The birds still have the RI, Pepper's possible blindness is just something else I'll ask about. As for his probably somewhat blind eye, he is a recessive pied, so it's harder to see pupil issues as his whole eye is black.

Most Reactions