I think someones confused...

Ratzy

Apr 7, 2010
Media
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia
Parrots
See siggie :)
Wow.... cockatoos are that expensive over there?
Major Mitchel = $500 ( Australian dollar )

And I've seen them sell for that much in my town.

Thats INSANELY cheap!

Because they are native to the place :)

Alex cost me twice what you guys would have paid for a jenday over in the US.

You can pick up sulphur cresteds for under $100 sometimes. Galahs too. Their is still some (legal, under government licence, though I bet people do it illegally too) taking of birds for breeding stock from the wild here, especially of the more common species. They are abundant in captivity and the wild, it keeps the price down. Though rarer protected birds like the red tailed blacks are extremely hard to find in captivity, require a wildlife licence to keep and are illegal to take from the wild, and are as a result more expensive.

How much would you on average pay for a B&G macaw over your way? Around here its more in the range of 5-6000 from when I was looking. Hyacinths can be double and above that.

Native cockatoos (with some exceptions, like the red tailed black), lorikeets, and plenty of other natives are not very expensive here.

I've only ever seen one add in my area for macaws.... $7000 each.
The Major Mitchels I saw were selling as a breeding pair but I can't remember whether that was for both or separately. Probably separately.
They looked fine and healthy.
Conures are extremely hard to find where I am, can only get them when the bird fair is on.
I've never seen a macaw, except in a zoo.

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
Here in NZ macaws are $8000 each. Greys about $4000 or more, my eccie was $1600 and that is very very cheap. Usually about $2000. Sulfer toos are about $1500, galahs $1500.
Pets shops are another story......waaaay more expensive. even seen hand raised Alexandrines for $750 in pet shops. They are EXPENSIVE critters down here!

IcyWolf

Jul 5, 2011
Etters, Pa
Parrots
~Alexandrine Parakeet~2 Red Lored Amazons~Blue Fronted Amazon~Black capped conure~4 Green Cheeks~4 Parrotlets~2 lineolated parakeets~9 American budgies~9 English budgies~ And lots of babies :)
Ratzy is right, we definitely need to factor in the proper exchange rates when comparing prices. I guess I got lucky, I got our alex and her huge cage, toys, etc for $100 and our goffin and citron 'toos, 'tiels and budgie we had we didn't pay anything for, I was simply asked if I would be willing to give them a good home.

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
Aus is 1.28 NZD, USA is 1.2 NZD.
Australian dollar is VERY strong, what with your mining industry etc. Here economy not so great what with earthquake and small country......much better living in Australia. Once ive finished my law degree im moving back there! Much as I love NZ Australian economy is waaay better, easier to get ahead.
So even though your dollar id higher, our cost of living works out to be about the same - we earn less, and things cost more here......

OP
Amps

Amps

Apr 30, 2011
Bardstown, Kentucky ( bourbon capital of the world
Parrots
Lily (Lillian) a spoiled cockatiel
Wow that's alot for a bird in nz... Though exchange rates bring that to our norm price. I've seen sun conures in pet stores for over $650 American dollars, with green checks only abOut $25'dollars cheaper. People on craigslist sell birds for quite a bit cheaper, but nothing as cheap as some of the prices y'all are stating.

ShreddedOakAviary

Jul 13, 2011
Parrots
M2's, U2's, G2's, RB2's, VOS, RLA's, BFA's, DYHA's, Dusky Pionus, Blue and Green Quakers, Meyers Parrots, VOS, GW Macaw's, Harlequin Macaws, Tiels, YNA, TAG's, CAG's, Blue Crown Conures, Red sided Ecl
I paid 1500 for a greenwing macaw and 900 for the other... same breeder. (Who is a friend cause normally they're 1800 to 2200 US here). Green cheek conures are so over bred and commoon here that they range from 75 to 250 depending on color mutation.

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
If you go to a reputable breeder here in Central Florida, these are the prices that you would most likely pay. tropicalparrotise.com - Home This breeder is located about 35 miles from me.

Disclaimer: This is not an advertisement for this company, I only posted it to give a general idea of prices for my area. I don't know them and have never had any dealings with them.

Now you can buy birds cheaper from small backyard breeders. Like for instance, I have had offers of WEANED Blue & Gold macaws for as little as $650.00 and some with even a 30 day money back health warranty. African Greys for the same price.

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
Wow, I bought lily for $80 and that was the cheapest price I could find... And she's just a cockatiel!

Seriously?! Wow! My mother has two Cockatiels, $15 each from the local pet store! One lutino pearl called Izzy, one normal coloured named Bee, both male. The pearl has special needs and the other is terrified of people, but they are happy with each other in their aviary, and we love them anyway.

Amber

Jun 1, 2011
I think even if we factor in exchange rates, theirs still a fairly large difference between the prices of some species around the world. Especially macaw prices in the US vs Aus. I suppose it's all supply and demand, and maybe some birds breed better in some parts of the world with climates more suitable to them? Plus I suppose we should also factor in bird trapping, importing and both legal and illegal smuggling of birds in and out of places that will affect supply (As much as I hate birds being taken from the wild, especially when their are established captive populations). I'd love to see an adjusted chart of bird prices.

It's also interesting that although the price of things fluctuate with the market, bird prices here stay pretty much the same.

Sulphur crested toos and gallahs are so abundant over my parents way (SW VIC) they are actually becoming an agricultural pest!

Also I've been over Hamilton way Ratzy. It always seems so nice and green!

PreciousAngelJS25

Apr 7, 2011
Alabama
Parrots
3 Cockatiels: Simon, Daisy and Sweetpea
1 Umbrella Cockatoo: Chula
1 Triton Cockatoo: Bird
1 Blue Crown Conure: Kongo
1 Black Capped Conure: Midori
Wow. That is a really random ad. We look on craigslist occasionally in the pet section and I see all sorts of random/bogus ads for birds. I will admit that one of our babies (Midori, our black capped conure) came from craiglist, but the guy was really nice and she is a great bird.

Sadly, there is a Citron cockatoo for sale at a local pet store for $2500, NOT including her cage. I feel so sorry for the poor girl because the store locks her up in her small cage every time she shows a little excitement (screams, flaps etc). As a result, she has started plucking.

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
you can report them for animal abuse, or at least ask for a welfare check, its againt the law to treat animals badly.

Noone understand that you CAN do something about it. and even if they think its a bogus call, it will still bring the poor bird to someones attention and they will check more on it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts