HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots
Cockatiels. Percy & Gizmo

Forever in my heart. Sunny the Corella
Oh he doesn't look well to me at all! The weather/cold temperature would not have anything at all to do with him becoming ill; just by looking at his droppings you can tell something is not right, and as Noodles already stated, one of the most definitive signs that a bird is sick, besides the loose/runny/watery droppings, is finding feces/urates around their vents or anywhere else on that area of their bodies. That's not good...Then combine that with his appetite not being what it usually is and you've got a sick little birdy.

If you smell any type of odd/weird smell coming from his breath/mouth/beak, especially if it's a kind of "sour" smell, then that would also correspond with the white frothy stuff he spit out of his mouth after taking a drink, as these are both signs/symptoms of a Fungal (Yeast) Infection in their Crops, and most-likely throughout the rest of their Gastrointestinal Tracts. Also, if you see any bubbles in his droppings, that's another sign of a GI Yeast infection...They often also have a GI Bacterial Infection at the same time...A Fecal Gram-Stain as Noodles mentioned is a must, and they can do that right on the spot in the office with their Microscope...Typically they will also send-out a Fecal Culture to whatever outside lab they use to have a Culture & Sensitivity done, where they put the Fecal Culture on an Agar-Plate and allow it a few days in an incubator to allow whatever Fungi and Bacteria present to completely grow-out, because some of them will not show-up on the Gram-Stain. So if the Gram-Stain is positive for Bacteria, Fungi/Yeast, or both, they will typically put the bird on an Anti-Fungal and/or a broad-spectrum Antibiotic, and then in 3-4 days the results of the Culture & Sensitivity will come back and will tell them specifically what strains of Fungi, Bacteria, etc. are actually present, and then they can change the type of Antibiotic or Antifungal meds they give him if they gave him the wrong ones initially (a Gram-Stain will show them if Bacteria and/or Fungi/Yeast are present and they can usually tell the general class of Bacteria, which will narrow-down the Antibiotics they give them a little bit, but they can't get very specific about what Bacterium is present (or certain types of Fungi other than Yeast) and that's why they send out the culture to the lab to be grown-out...

Birds don't get "Colds" like we do, unfortunately (that would be a lot easier to deal with, lol), nor would a "cold" cause loose/runny droppings or any other GI issues. So that's why you have to keep a close eye on him and make sure you get him to your Avian Vet for complete Fecal Testing ASAP. You know how birds are, they hide any and all signs/symptoms of illness for as long as they possibly can, usually weeks to months and months, so by the time we finally notice something is wrong, they've been sick with the infection(s) for quite a long time...That's why it's so important to get them to your Avian Vet as soon as possible...Good luck, and keep us posted on how he's doing and what the Vet says...I'm sure he'll be fine, but it needs to be addressed...

Thank you so much for all the information! I’m going to phone around vets today while I’m at work to find out the best place to take him or a gram sample. And get him booked in first thing tomorrow morning.
It’s 6am at the moment and pitch black outside so haven’t been to see how he is..in waiting for a little bit of light lol! But I did hear him call out to my parter when he walked past to the car. So I know he’s okay this morning!

I hardly got any sleep worrying about him. Hopefully he’s no worse and can wait for the vet tomorrow!

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

He’s still much the same, I let him out the aviary while I was feeding the horses. He had a little dog around but then flew into the barn. So I’ve left him in the aviary for the day, he was eating his seed when I left him which is a good sign. He’s obviously still unwell with lots of runny green poops and fluffed up. But I think, hope, he’ll be okay until the vet tomorrow! He doesn’t seem on deaths door, just under the weather..
Hope work flys past today!!

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

tIGA0lP.jpg

b8vcNN7.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad to hear he appears stable. Of great concern is his vulnerability to predators in weakened state if allowed to fly. I know you are delicately balancing a lot of issue, Hannah!!

Our hearts are virtually aflutter with concern over our dear Sunny!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Yes- I would definitely try to protect him again tonight (again, don't know if you bring him in, but certainly the less temperature fluctuation the better and the more protection from other birds/predators, the better).

I am glad you are taking him in tomorrow....

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Keep him in the aviary, or inside tonight. He likely weak.

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Sunny is booked in for the vets 10.30 tomorrow morning!

Thanks again everyone for the ongoing advice. I have kept him in his aviary today while I’m at work and will also be leaving him in tonight. As that was my main concern was being an easy target to the predators!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Our hearts are virtually aflutter with concern over our dear Sunny!

Scott is correct! I think we all love that little guy. Glad you’ve got him scheduled and are keeping us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Hello everyone!

So Sunny went to the vets this morning, He was my happy bout being put in a small carry cage!.I know his transport wasn’t ideal but was the only option. He was desperately trying to escape for the first 20 minutes of the journey, but after that he settled down and I poked my finger in to give him skritches. He also started eating some of the seed that he’d scattered everywhere. It’s an hour journey one way so I’m pleased he settled down.
So first off last night and this moring Sunny was much brighter in himself, he was always super pleased to see me with his little wings open slightly with his crest up waiting for me to greet and stroke him. He has been eating very well, his appetite is great again. And his poops are much more solid! Yay!
Regardless I still wanted to take him to the vet. Unfortunately the Avian vet was away today (typical!) and I didn’t want to risk waiting another day as I feel bad enough about not taking him sooner. But we saw a nice vet who also takes an intestinal in seeing birds and I get the impression he’s learning from the other Avian vet. In fact it’s the same guy who saw Sunny many months ago for his hurt foot. Anyway, he couldn’t see any signs of illness really as Sunny was bright, alert, a good weight and no longer fluffed up. Thankfully he pooped while we was there and he said his poop looked fine now. He just gave him an antibiotic injection as he feels his infection is clearing up already. He thought it could have been a 24hr gastric type thing. I feel like he maybe should have been sent home with a short course of antibiotics but Sunny does seem much better so maybe not. Vet said if symptoms return or carry on to book in the see Aaron the avian vet and they’ll do further testing.

I think I’ll keep him in his aviary for a couple more days, or at least until this horrid weather clears up!

Here are some photos of moring! :white1:

frnG2wZ.jpg

3HS7AX6.jpg

yOjA85P.jpg

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Thank you for this update! I’m glad you’re keeping him close for a bit. You may be the best bird mom ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Glad he recovering. Likely something he eat and passed. His poop is more solid and he eating and no longer fluff up, so great sign.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I hope you know how happy you and this birdie of yours are making a whole lot of people, Hannah! It does our hearts good to see him thriving and you caring for him so well. We're all relieved our little Sunny is doing better today and send him our warmest wishes for a quick recovery.

Rosetta says 'pkaarkkk' in her wisest voice. Barney and Madge say 'screeeeeeeekkk'. I just say 'ey mate!' ;)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

A most welcome turn of events for Sunny! Hope he remains stable the next few days under your care. You are doing such a wonderful service, Hannah!!

Given the appearance of winter, have most of the Corellas paired up? Do they leave the area or remain locally?

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Here is a painfully awkward video from Sunny and I saying thank you for all your kind words and support. I was stressed and worried but you guys reassured me :)

[ame="https://youtu.be/qm2v-I1VrEw"]Sunny says a big thank you to the Parrot Forum - YouTube[/ame]

He looks fluffed up in the video, but honestly he’s just keeping himself warm because the weather is shocking today, wouldn’t think we were in Australia!!
He enjoyed pottering around with me for a few hours while I feed the horses. He dug for roots, etc. He is now tucked up in his Aviary for a good rest after his big day!

Last edited:
OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

A most welcome turn of events for Sunny! Hope he remains stable the next few days under your care. You are doing such a wonderful service, Hannah!!

Given the appearance of winter, have most of the Corellas paired up? Do they leave the area or remain locally?

Thank you Scott! He is so much better already, pretty much back to his normal self!
I don’t think the vets quite realised what I meant when I say he’s half wild half domestic.. He asked me as I was about the leave of his was clipped..Ermm no he sleeps with the wild birds up in the trees!:D

All the Corellas are still around, hundreds of them. But they do seem to be in pairs among the massive flocks. I hope they stay local. Looks like Sunny has missed his chance for a girlfriend this year, Oh well!:p

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Do we know how old Sunny is? I've always assumed he was a this-year's fledgling and was separated from his Mum and Dad by accident. If so, he'd be a long way from making a pair-bond. Corellas don't reach puberty until their fifth or sixth summer, so maybe Sunny's got a while to go before he starts looking for Miss Right. :)

OP
HannahandSunny

HannahandSunny

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 13, 2019
Australia
Parrots

Do we know how old Sunny is? I've always assumed he was a this-year's fledgling and was separated from his Mum and Dad by accident. If so, he'd be a long way from making a pair-bond. Corellas don't reach puberty until their fifth or sixth summer, so maybe Sunny's got a while to go before he starts looking for Miss Right. :)

No I’m assuming he was around 3-4 months when he was lost in the wild, As he was fully feathers but just hadn’t learnt to fly. which would make him roughly 10 months old now if my assumptions are correct!
Haha Sunny and I have got a long time to wait until he finds a wife then! That’s good to know Bertrisher. I won’t feel bad that he hasn’t paired off this year!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I am SO GLAD all is well and that you are taking good care of him. It's pretty amazing---people underestimate birds and their ability to build bonds with people (as well as other birds).

Random confession- I used to think corellas were HIDEOUS--- but now I think that they are the cutest variety of cockatoos!!
He is so adorable...something about that silly face just makes me so happy---especially when he has his mustache (beak feathers) tufted up.

I actually used to think Umbrellas were annoying and ugly too lol---then I met one and it was all down-hill haha! Strange how that happened.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Lovely video Hannah and supportive hugs from half a globe away!

He certainly looks better, and has several years ahead before choosing the perfect mate.

Most Reactions

Latest posts