Need help

Axfhs

Oct 23, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I just got a green cheek conure today but he doesnā€™t seem like he wants to perch on his perching stick and is instead hanging on the side of his cage at night. Every time I look at him heā€™s awake. I have him in a dark environment with a cloth over it so he can sleep. His feathers are fluffed up but Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s normal.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
Clinging to cage bars isn't necessarily something to be worried about. He's in a new cage, he could be scared of his toys and perches.

Fluffing up is also not necessarily a problem, though a picture would really help. A relaxed bird will fluff up a bit. It looks different from a fluffed up sick bird, but I can't really articulate how it looks different, it would be way easier to glance at a pic. That said, I wouldn't expect a sick bird to climb cage bars, I would expect them to be perched or, in the absolute worst cases, on the cage floor.

Do you think you can post a pic?

OP
A

Axfhs

Oct 23, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Clinging to cage bars isn't necessarily something to be worried about. He's in a new cage, he could be scared of his toys and perches.

Fluffing up is also not necessarily a problem, though a picture would really help. A relaxed bird will fluff up a bit. It looks different from a fluffed up sick bird, but I can't really articulate how it looks different, it would be way easier to glance at a pic. That said, I wouldn't expect a sick bird to climb cage bars, I would expect them to be perched or, in the absolute worst cases, on the cage floor.

Do you think you can post a pic?

Attachments

• IMG_4957.jpeg
    IMG_4957.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
A

Axfhs

Oct 23, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hes asleep now but is it normal for him to be in the side of the cage like this?

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I wouldnā€™t worry about it too much šŸ˜Š As long as he is getting the rest he needs that is fine. He might start using perches as he gets settled in more.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
If over time you see him never using perches, whether awake or asleep, you may want to take a look at how you can improve your cage and cage set up. Itā€™s important to have different diameter sized perches so they have variety for their feet.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
Thanks for the pic. Seeing that, he doesn't really look fluffed up in the sick way. The fact that he chose a corner to squeeze into strikes me as stress behavior, not sickness, and he's probably clinging to the walls because there's no available perch in the corner.

They sell "cozy corners" that might help with his anxiety. Amazon link below but you can probably find one at Petco/Petsmart tomorrow.

I would make sure to put the cozy corner by a perch nice and high up in the cage for optimal stress relief. Make sure to offer plenty of different size and texture perches.

Don't worry too much! You're doing everything right so far, but make sure you don't hover too much, if you're anxious you'll make your bird more anxious than he already is. He's in a new place which is scary! Good job though šŸ‘šŸ¼

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
Also, whenever adding fabric accessories to a cage like cozy corners or sleep huts, be sure to continually monitor your bird around them. If the fabric is fuzzy, like minky (which cozy corners typically are), you don't want your bird ingesting the fuzz. Check it regularly to make sure your bird hasn't been pulling pieces off, and watch for fabric bits on the cage floor. And a hormonal bird during puberty could start "nesting" around it which can cause moodiness.

That's not to say you need to constantly worry or hover. Just be aware. A fabric-free alternative that would still allow your bird to squeeze into a corner without clinging to cage bars would be something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Parro...98119479&sprefix=corner+perch+,aps,125&sr=8-3

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Quite a few smaller birds really do like to have somewhere they can hide away, either to sleep at night or nap during the day. The fuzzy type sleepy huts can be very hazardous for a number of reasons as has already been mentioned, but there are alternatives made of seagrass that are much safer. Nothing is ever guaranteed to be 1000% safe, but this is the type I use ...

seagrasshut.jpg

I've used this style on the most hormonally charged chronic egg laying purple crowned lorikeet hen you could POSSIBLY imagine, and all she ever did with it was nap in it (or ON it) at night, or hide in it during the day when the outdoor birds kicked up a bit of a ruckus. I actually specifically got it for her when I caught her clinging to the bars all night long and I couldn't imagine she was getting much sleep. Still need to keep a bit of an eye in case your bird starts treating it like a nesting spot, but the very open weave open ended design generally counteracts that. There's also the "flying trapeze" style seagrass mat that's suspended from all four corners, my princess parrot and my budgie like sitting in that during the day, it takes the weight off their feet :)

basketcase.JPG

Other than all of that, welcome to the Forums @Axfhs! Don't forget to tell us your new baby's name, will you? My apologies if you already did, I read your posts a few times and couldn't see one, but then again my eyes are not what they used to be!

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
I haven't seen a seagrass alternative for sleep huts!!! I might consider quietly swapping out the huts I have for that design... although I do think my jenday would be pretty pissed with me if I pulled that stunt... she loves her fuzzy hut. Either way, it's interesting to know that exists!!

OP
A

Axfhs

Oct 23, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Quite a few smaller birds really do like to have somewhere they can hide away, either to sleep at night or nap during the day. The fuzzy type sleepy huts can be very hazardous for a number of reasons as has already been mentioned, but there are alternatives made of seagrass that are much safer. Nothing is ever guaranteed to be 1000% safe, but this is the type I use ...

View attachment 55468

I've used this style on the most hormonally charged chronic egg laying purple crowned lorikeet hen you could POSSIBLY imagine, and all she ever did with it was nap in it (or ON it) at night, or hide in it during the day when the outdoor birds kicked up a bit of a ruckus. I actually specifically got it for her when I caught her clinging to the bars all night long and I couldn't imagine she was getting much sleep. Still need to keep a bit of an eye in case your bird starts treating it like a nesting spot, but the very open weave open ended design generally counteracts that. There's also the "flying trapeze" style seagrass mat that's suspended from all four corners, my princess parrot and my budgie like sitting in that during the day, it takes the weight off their feet :)

View attachment 55469

Other than all of that, welcome to the Forums @Axfhs! Don't forget to tell us your new baby's name, will you? My apologies if you already did, I read your posts a few times and couldn't see one, but then again my eyes are not what they used to be!
His name from the store is lock but Iā€™m debating whether or not changing his name heā€™s also 8 months old and shares my birthday!

OP
A

Axfhs

Oct 23, 2023
Parrots
Green cheek conure
His name from the store is lock but Iā€™m debating whether or not changing his name
Heā€™s also doing much better today he even got comfortable on my shoulder

Attachments

• IMG_4961.jpeg
    IMG_4961.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 11

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
His name from the store is lock but Iā€™m debating whether or not changing his name heā€™s also 8 months old and shares my birthday!
Oh I think Lock is a fine name! Actually I got a princess parrot not long ago who was bought by someone else and returned to the store for some unknown reason, and she came to me with the name of Peach. I *was* gonna change it, but actually it quite suits her. And how lovely that you share a birthday too! I'm looking forward to sharing your and his "hatch" days in a few months' time šŸ’–

LoveMyFids

Aug 19, 2023
Since you bird is so new, I would give him several days to adjust. He's probably just scared & unsure of his new surroundings. Once he starts getting used to everything, he should chill out & start exploring his cage. Just keep an eye on him & try to keep his surroundings mellow without kids or other animals running around his cage, vacuums, etc.

Most Reactions