I want a year out!!!

BACON

May 18, 2013
Hi guys. So for the past few years I've really wanted to take a trip, possibly a year out to Australia. Travel, work and just have a good time. It's been a dream since I was in school but the urge has been really strong lately. I know people's out there at the minute, people who have been etc etc and it just seems like the bestest place everrr.

Now the problem......what on earth can I do with blue????

I had her in my teenage years, well before I was actually in a position to go, but I'd feel sooooo guilty leaving her behind. She's is after all my little baby and as such she only trusts and interacts with me. No one else in the house can handle her and if I left her she'd spend a long and lonely year alone in her cage, being fed nothing but seed, water and tip bits as others don't see it necessary to give her pellets/fruit and veg.

WHAT DO I DOOOO?????

I'm running outta time to go that's all :'(

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Matt, if you have the opportunity to go to Australia for a year, GO!!!!! This is truly a once in a lifetime chance, and you really ought to do it. :D

Do you have family member or friends who could care for Blue while you are away? I am hopeful that your family would support you in your decision to go to AU and they'd be happy to help you with Blue. :)

GO...GO....GO!!! And please, don't be a stranger here, I've missed ya!! ;)

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Black-cap Conure - 'Felix' -Hatched May. 12/2013
Peach-Face Love Bird - 'Sam' (1990-2013)
Take her with you!!! There are lots of pet relocators that can help with an international relocation... I am not going to say it would be easy but it can definitelly be done....

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Ps. Your avian vet should know of a reputable pet relocator in your area & may even know one who specializes in birds who can help you navigate the in's & out's of pet relocation....

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Sorry, but you can't just take a bird into Australia....that just doesn't happen unless you have SPECIAL import permits.

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
Sure you can.... I almost had to take mine to China....we didn't end up having to go but my avian vet had a pet relocator she knew here in Van who had moved families with their birds all over the world. I never said it would be easy but it can be done

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
How exciting! I think you should go, too! I hope you get it worked out. Keep us posted & good luck!

OP
B

BACON

May 18, 2013
Matt, if you have the opportunity to go to Australia for a year, GO!!!!! This is truly a once in a lifetime chance, and you really ought to do it. :D

Do you have family member or friends who could care for Blue while you are away? I am hopeful that your family would support you in your decision to go to AU and they'd be happy to help you with Blue. :)

GO...GO....GO!!! And please, don't be a stranger here, I've missed ya!! ;)

Well yeah the chance is there to go. Maybe it wouldn't be a year but still. If I could go full time I would, then I could try getting blue out there, but for just a year I don't think the cost/stress(bird and mine) is worth it or fair. Plus I dunno what hostels would have to say about it hahaha. PLUS she'd be in a tiny traveller cage.

Think mum would jump at the chance to get rid of her to be fair. She can't stand her :S hahaha doubt my bed would even be cold and blue would be hiked out by her ear....!!!!

Sorry....... Been a while hasn't it.

Jewelz

Oct 26, 2013
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Parrots
If you're not going to have a 'home base' like an apt, bsmt suite etc. chances are you will not get the permits yu will need in order to relocate your bird. When we looked into bringing Sam to China for a year we had to tell the government where we would be living formthe year in advance

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Like Wendy says, Australia is super strict with incoming birds. There's many restrictions and quarantine requirements you must go through. And I believe you must pay for it? It would be very expensive!

OP
B

BACON

May 18, 2013
Yeah.... Hence why I wouldn't take her for a year. It's not like I have the money as such to rent apartments/flats etc unless someone has a holiday home there to rent :D

If I go for a year I'd need to work to sooo another issue with blue... Mounting up.

At least, sooo far I've not been shot down for what I'd like to do. ;) even if it does mean living her behind :(

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
G'day Bacon! I'm so pleased you're wanting to visit our beautiful country and reckon it's a good decision! There's lots to see and do over here, including a vast array of birds (parrots) and animals to check out. As Wendy says, COME NOW! Don't wait until you're older and, maybe, less able to do a lot of the exciting stuff (diving with sharks, climbing Ayers Rock, hiking in Kakadu etc etc etc). You could do and see *so* much in a year. Sigh. Wish I was younger. I'd have loved to spend a year in your country too. But Time passes, kids come along (and they're a darned sight harder to rehome than a birdie) and opportunities dry up. COME NOW!!! :D :D :D

Sadly, it would be very, very hard to get Blue into Oz. Our quarantine restrictions are, I believe, the tightest in the world. That's because we're an island and therefore isolated from lots and lots of diseases and pests that exist elsewhere. We'd like it to stay that way, so there are lengthy (and expensive) quarantine laws for incoming animals. I think it's a three-month minimum, but don't quote me there. Surely there's a good friend (or even one of our members) who would foster Blue for you till you get back? I hope it works out for you - we'd love to have you visit us! :D :D :D

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Yes, I'd be looking for a foster home. Somebody with the requisite bird knowhow might want to have a bird, but not take on the long-term responsibility. Or, try to get somebody to come in and interact with him. You say he'll only interact with you, but he'll have to interact with others if you are not there, so get started trying to find him a foster parent/good friend.

OP
B

BACON

May 18, 2013
Unfortunately I don't have friends or other family members who I would want to look after blue.
My aunt has an AG but I feel sooo sorry for it. It's stuck in a back room of a large farm house and it's only interaction with humans is when they give it seed and water..... Or what it hears!! Which is a lot, it vocabulary is amazing!!!

I'm sure the parents would feed her an stuff, it's just that she wouldn't come out :(

Thank you betrisher. If I make it down that far I'd love to pop in!!!
I've heard soooo much about it from people who've been.... I just want to go my self...

Oh and taking blue is definitely OUT... Haha

Klaery

Jul 8, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Elroy - Hahns macaw, Ponyo - Sun conure
Haha might see you here :)

As others have said it is impossible to bring any birds into Australia dead or alive unless you are a zoo/museum etc. The waiting period Betrisher was talking about is for domestic animals but birds/reptiles et are not permitted at all. It is hard enough just to get them in for zoos!

Last edited:

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
You could tell these members what state you're in and see if someone near you will foster her for the year. Have them sign a contract with outside witnesses that states they're fostering and you get your bird back after the year. I'm sure there's someone who will and will take great care of her. I can't be the only one who lets them out to play for most of the day and she might have other birds to be friends with. :) good luck!

OP
B

BACON

May 18, 2013
Ok. So I said I'd keep you up dated.

As it stands I'm coming out for a month, see how I go. If I love the place... Well who knows. It'll also be fairer on blue. So on march the 8th I'll be jetting out, till 7th April. Landing in Brisbane. I'll stay there for a few days then who knows haha. Really looking forward to it :)

Most Reactions