I was thinking...maybe lovebirds?

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Lovebirds are very pretty! Sometimes the personality is not quite as...pretty. How much interaction do you want to have with them?

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
They are known to be playful and interactive, but they tend to gravitate toward 'conure-like' behavior; meaning that they can be noisy. They also tend to 'test' their boundaries; biting, nipping, etc. Just keep that in mind.

The noisiness is more of an issue to me though, because nipping is more easily addressed. Lovebirds, like conures; are just naturally very noisy.

They still can also be a lot of fun!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tdi9re78fE"]YouTube - Lovebird Playing and Noises[/ame]

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hmmm I'm thinking whoever came up with the name "Lovebird" was a practical joker.....lol:p, well you did say be honest.

Bob:blue1:

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Just as a thought, if your looking for a new feathered friend you might consider a pacific parrotlet, similar in size to a lovebird,less noisy,and they come in a varity of colors, maybe not as colorful as the lovebird, but they make up for it in personality, though a little bit more expensive, in my opinion well worth it,lots of info on the web, give a look see:)

SharonC

May 26, 2010
You might want to check out Linnies too. They're a little bigger than Parrotlets, and often less nippy.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
I agree Sharon, I was thinking of lineolated parakeets as well after I hit the send button, I saw some at a bird show last month, other then the standard green they had some turquoise and cinnamons,very pretty and super friendly, another good choice might be the red rump parakeet, I guess we could go on and on with suggestions.....lol

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Linnies are lovely birds. I did go through a rough period with Levi during puberty, but all is well now. He really is a big bird personality in a smaller, more manegeable body. LOL!

I tried to show a pic, resized, but I'm over my quota?????

Birdamor

Banned
Banned
Jun 14, 2010
Lovebirds are wonderful, wonderful little birds as long as they are in a true bonded pair (meaning they chose each other themselves from among other lovebirds) and they are kept under the right conditions. It's when they are not kept right that they become nippy, noisy and quarrelsome -and by this, I don't mean abuse or neglect, it happens in very good and loving homes and not through any fault on the owner's part but only because, sooner or later, most of them end up not been 'good interactive pet' material.

Winston1Smith2

Mar 19, 2010
I cannot help but putting in a pitch for Greencheeks. I have a Greencheek, his name is Cracker, and I think he is a super bird. I will warn you I did have a problem with him biting me the first couple of months I had him, but now he is one of the sweetest pets I have ever had. He is not much of a talker, all he says is "Cracker" but he is very affectionate and loves to be held and scritched. Nor is he much of a noise maker, and he is not a very large bird so he did not require a large investment in a cage. If you get a Greencheek, I do not think you will regret it.

sneha123

Banned
Banned
Oct 18, 2010
:orange::orange: Lovebird are very pretty !!!!! The noisiness is more of an issue to me though, because nipping is more easily addressed. Lovebirds, like conures; are just naturally very noisy.,,,,,,,,,

They still can also be a lot of fun!!!! It is beautiful......:red1::red1::red1:..

Last edited:

ladymorraine

Sep 24, 2010
Eastern Panhandle WV
I love my little Saki to death, but nipping and noise are daily. If I am not paying attention to her and cleaning she will fly over and yell in my ear or just yell from her cage. She nips at everything. Kind of like a kid who puts everything in his mouth. But she has a lot of character, and is doing well adjusting to our loud crazy house.

mellykyitus

Oct 22, 2010
Media
south wales UK
Parrots
Angel the blue and gold macaw, mimsy the lesser sulphur too, rocky the galah & willow the blue crowned conure.
my love bird has got really nippy lately and spends a lot of time in her hut, do you think its hormones? she's always been a little fiesty but got worse recently.

Last edited:

Steadam2011

Jul 15, 2011
seattle
They are known to be playful and interactive, but they tend to gravitate toward 'conure-like' behavior; meaning that they can be noisy. They also tend to 'test' their boundaries; biting, nipping, etc. Just keep that in mind.

The noisiness is more of an issue to me though, because nipping is more easily addressed. Lovebirds, like conures; are just naturally very noisy.

They still can also be a lot of fun!

Thanks for share your informative post

Last edited by a moderator:

Atwee921

Apr 22, 2011
Maine, USA
Parrots
Sprite the cinnamon green cheek conure.
Canary winged parakeets are really cool too. They are super friendly but a little pricey and hard to find.

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
I dnt know about the noise, My aunt had a blackfaced lovebird, she did make noise at times, but usually when she seen a crow in the yard, then we would have to cover her cause she would get mad.

Dont get me wrong, there was a lot of "white noise" but it wasent annoying, it was accually vary calming, I loved it growing up with her, though I do have to say, she did have a temper, I still have scars from her where she managed to grab the back of my hand and give me a pretty big pearcing.

But I do have to say, I REALLY loved my aunts lovebird, she made summer home.. Home.. its not the same now that shes gone. she had a HUGE personality that dosent fit in the small body she has. I played hide and seek with her, and she had a bunch of calls that she could mimic. I think it would be the best first pet, I want one but we dont have breeders up here for lovebirds, so the ones I do see are Vary wild.

Most Reactions