I was told my new bird is a Jenday

DoubleTake

May 31, 2017
South Orange County, California
Parrots
2 Sun Conures.

R.I.P Lily 3/1/2018 - You were my sweet baby.
Looks like a high red Jenday to me. I don't see any yellow or red specs on the wings to indicate that it could be a sun conure or a red factor sun conure. Is there even a thing as a Red factor Sunday? since Sunday's usually have all green wings and a face more of a sun conure.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
A "red factor" sunday would be a RF Sun bred to a Jenday and just hope the offspring have extra red...

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I have a final guess...It's a beautiful birdie and enjoy him with his cute little red face.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I think at this early an age its REALLY hard to make an accurate guess.

Suns are mostly green til their first molt (for protection) and don't develop their true colors til after.

IF I were to take a guess, and it would be a guess, I'd say jenday with a lot of red.

I got into an argument with a lady on FB who kept telling me my Skittles is a red factor sun conure. He is not, I found that out from the breeder herself and my vet confirmed it. Skittles just happens to have more orange than the typical sun. Some suns have more yellow than the typical sun. One thing I CAN say is if the wings stay green it is most likely a jenday.

Sun conure wings (at least my Skittles) blend from yellow at the top, to green and then to blue.

Ultimately, your best and most accurate bet would be from an avian vet.

I was just checking out red factors with google and discoverd the "blue-streaked lory". Man, those things are creepy!

Last edited:

raj914

Apr 17, 2018
Media
Albums
Manila
Parrots
4 Tiels
Pair of SC
Pair of IRN
Pair of Ecky
Indoor SC (Bruce)
Indoor CAG (Jean)
So, is a red factor a crossbred or something? I was advised not to keep a breeding pair. Hoping to learn more about this.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
You are correct in that you are not supposed to breed two red factors together. If I remember correctly, if you do they don't live very long. Most don't live past weaning.

As for what causes red factor, its a mutation created by breeding suns of certain colors together to create the 'red factor' color.

OP
Peebles24

Peebles24

Apr 15, 2018
Rosedale, Indiana
Parrots
Jenday Conure
Poor little odin has 4 pin feathers coming in on his head. Didnt notice them yesterday.they dont seem to be bothering him.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If the red factor was the result of hybridization and not a mutation, then breeding double factor reds would be fine.

Breeding red factor to red factor does not result in 100% double reds, but the double reds that are produced do tend to die by 6 months of age...

Most Reactions