ID Amazon

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Double yellow head Amazon alright and on my list of must have birds. They are one of the best talking birds and very smart.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I don't think it's a Double Yellow Head (DYH) it appears to be a Yellow Front (YF)or may be a Panama. DYHs , YFs and Pans are subspecies of the Yellow Crown, If it had color on his legs i'd say Panama, but it's not obvious in the photos, so i vote Yellow Front, which i think is a better pet than a DYH. Where do you live or where did the bird come from? Of course he could be a hybrid (very common) Taxonomy is as follows,Yellow Crown(Amazona ochrocephala),Yellow Front(Amazona ochrocephala panamensis) some consider the Panama a different sub-species of this. Yellow Head or DYH (amazona ochrocephala oratrix) There's about 9or 10 sub-species and it gets confusing, but i still vote Yellow Front.

OP
B

BIG BIRD

Feb 24, 2011
I don't think it's a Double Yellow Head (DYH) it appears to be a Yellow Front (YF)or may be a Panama. DYHs , YFs and Pans are subspecies of the Yellow Crown, If it had color on his legs i'd say Panama, but it's not obvious in the photos, so i vote Yellow Front, which i think is a better pet than a DYH. Where do you live or where did the bird come from? Of course he could be a hybrid (very common) Taxonomy is as follows,Yellow Crown(Amazona ochrocephala),Yellow Front(Amazona ochrocephala panamensis) some consider the Panama a different sub-species of this. Yellow Head or DYH (amazona ochrocephala oratrix) There's about 9or 10 sub-species and it gets confusing, but i still vote Yellow Front.

Hi henpecked well the legs are green no color on them So think it is DYH coz YF has black feets and YC has no red color on side and for panama it has sort of black beak

Last edited:

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Does it really matter? If you love each other what difference it make?Your lucky to have a young bird to work with and i'm sure he'll be a great pet.Good Luck,Richard

OP
B

BIG BIRD

Feb 24, 2011
thanx but I paid for DYH so if it is not DYH I have to go back and get my money back.

vedwed

Feb 8, 2011
Media
CA
Parrots
Oliver-Red Crowned Amazon, Sky-GCC, Ruthie-Sun Conure
Thats a YF, and if it costing that much I would assume he lives in Australia/New Zealand

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
thanx but I paid for DYH so if it is not DYH I have to go back and get my money back.
Like i said earlier ,I think a yellow front is a better pet than a DYH, it's definitely a sweeter bird and may or may not talk as good as a DYH, but it is a good talker.The best talker i ever saw was a Panama hen,an almost identical sub-species. That and YFs aren't as loud as a DYH. Maybe 50-100 grams lighter in weight.

Last edited:

Boo

Feb 21, 2011
Wow $6000 is a lot!! I'm getting a $300 conure and my mom thinks it's a lot lol :D. Are DYHs a lot more expensive than YFs? I don't know a lot about Amazons. I never considered getting one because I knew I wouldn't have that kind of money :eek:.

vedwed

Feb 8, 2011
Media
CA
Parrots
Oliver-Red Crowned Amazon, Sky-GCC, Ruthie-Sun Conure
Wow $6000 is a lot!! I'm getting a $300 conure and my mom thinks it's a lot lol :D. Are DYHs a lot more expensive than YFs? I don't know a lot about Amazons. I never considered getting one because I knew I wouldn't have that kind of money :eek:.

Not around here they aren't more, generally an amazon regardless of species goes for about the same, mutations aside of course. The store I got Oliver at had another amazon, and a male and female eclectus and he wanted $550 for either amazon, and $575 for the eclectus, not babies either, Oliver was 4 when we got him, the blue front was 3, and the 2 eclectus were 6 yrs old.
He has a B&G for $950 wish I could go back for her :32: She's 2 and a sweetheart

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Someone on here just got their blue front amazon, it talks pretty good. So I don't get why you want a DYH. $6000 is quite a bit, wouldn't you find out first before you paid that much IF you wanted a specific bird?

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
here's a photo of a 7 month old DYH,

Attachments

• Double_Yellow_Head_Amazon_44442_262.JPG
    Double_Yellow_Head_Amazon_44442_262.JPG
    9.3 KB · Views: 109

Mondos Parents

Jan 21, 2011
Media
Louisville, KY
Parrots
YC x YN Amazon "Mondo" ,Green Wing Macaw "Bob" & Catablue Macaw "Jake"
Looks like a YF to me, but I'm no expert either. He looks like Mondo, but the beak color is lighter.

Most Reactions