ID Please

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Looks like a Panama to me. Fairly young judging by the lack of yellow on the head.

OP
T

The_Rock

May 6, 2014
Hmm don't you think he looks like yellow napped amazon

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's possible, and if so he's very, very, very young.

Napes are generally bigger, and he looks small to me, but again he could just be that young. Are there any yellow spots on his back yet?

If so, you're right, and this is just a baby.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Pictures from the back?

Where did you find the bird at? Did the seller give you any information about the bird?

Does the leg band have a year of hatch on it?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It looks like some smaller Amazon species from the "yellow crowned group".
The Napes have a black beak and those little facial hairs around the nares are black too in YN

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
That is not a nape IMO. The size, beak and placement of the yellow looks like a juvenile yellow crown. And with nothing beyond a hunch, that bird has the "baby" look to it, as in probably under 2yrs. Not any one factor you can point to, just the overall look. Might be wrong, but theres just something about a baby zon they loose past a couple years of age.

So are you thinking of giving this cutie a home? Zons are *wonderful* parrots (not that I'm biased or anything:54:)!

OP
T

The_Rock

May 6, 2014
well I Adopted him last week. He is 6 months old baby I was told he is YN but I am not so sure if he is YN. It could be YC or could be Panama. here are pics of his back.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
If he came from a reputable store or breeder, theres no reason not to believe them. It's kind of hard to imagine in this day and age for there to still be places that sell birds that young they aren't sure of the species on. At 6 months, he is a newly weaned baby and he looks it. Each individual bird has their own unique colorations, and with zons, the color spreads as they age, so he may very well get some yellow on his neck/back after his first molt. That all said, he just doesn't look like a yellow nape to me. The beak is not the typical mostly black color (that could just be the lighting, why it looks so light) and he would be an awfully small YNA (typical 14/15 inches 400-500 grams, larger individuals can be up to 600). They are BIG amazons. It is possible he is a hybrid too, though pretty uncommon, they are out there.

At the end of the day, does it really matter? Unless you are planning on breeding him at some point, any of the 'potential' species he could be are great birds. If it was me personally, I would assume a yellow nape because that was what I was told, and focus more on providing him excellent care and creating a lifelong bond with him.

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
From that angle he looks a lot bigger than he did at first. So, yeah, I see the resemblence to a nape in those pictures.

The coloration changes as they get older, and the beak and yellows will start to come in probably on the next molt. But it can take as much as two or three years for them to get their full adult colors.

Honestly, it's hard to tell at this age. They all have similar colorations until the head feathers change colors, or don't, and the shoulder changes colors, or doesn't...

Most Reactions