Ideas for new bird

Tez

May 19, 2013
Oslo, Norway
Parrots
Mango - Lovebird <3
After several years without a bird (used to have zebra finches and cockatiels), I have decided to add a new member to my little family which consists of my daughter (5 yrs), me and 2 kitties. Eventhough I have had 'tiels before, I'm not very well aquainted with the different kinds of birds, and would like some help and ideas for what kind i should/could get.

I'm not very conserned with it being a "starter bird" since I have plenty of time to read up on the species, and to visit with birds around here. Thankfully, my country is so small, that parrots in shelters doesn't really happen, but it also mean i cant go there to check out the birds.

My ideal bird is small to medium and can be alone. It will ofcourse get hours every single day out of the cage (though I'm at work normal hours). I don't mind noise, but ofcourse, a bird who makes less noise is better. I'm a very snuggly person, and love to spend time with my girl and pets, so something that equally wants to spend time with me is a must. I don't mind if it can't learn to mimick human speech perfectly, but it would be well cool, but I want it to be smart enough to learn a variety of tricks (taught purely with positive reinforcement with a bridge/clicker).

Price isn't too important either, but preferably something that isn't outrageously expensive and hard to find.

I'm sure there are plenty of things I've forgotten to mention, but hopefully I will have a place to start looking. I won't be getting one untill july or august, so I have time to look and research. What kinds of parrots could fall into these criterias?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome to the forum Tez.....since you've had 'tiels, trading up to a different species shouldn't be too bad.....just think of it like your first child...everybody has advice, you read a lot about the subject & then you bring it home and you wake up to a whole new experience.....

And, since you asked, I'm going to suggest a maroon-bellied, dusky-headed or green-cheek conure...of the three, the GCC is usually the noisiest.....they all can be temperamental, but the dusky is usually found to be the most laid back, with the maroon-bellied next and the GCC bringing up the rear.....

They can all deliver painful bites, but theirs is a lot easier on tender daughter's fingers & skin than most other parrot species & though I don't know if MBCs or DHCs are available in Oslo, but would think GCCs are.....

Good luck on your selection.....

All three species can easily learn to entertain themselves when you're at work or out.....

Last edited:

BACON

May 18, 2013
May I put in the mix a caique?? Little bundles of fun an a lot of bird for their small size. All birds can be noisy but if your willing as you say to put time in I'm sure it will be fine!!! And very cuddly.

Grinder

Jan 26, 2013
East Coast, U.S.
Parrots
Military Macaw - 'Lady",
GW Macaw - "Jazzy"
I am going to back up BACON's suggestion of a Caique. Of course there are many great species you can consider, but I suggest a Caique because you mentioned them being able to be alone. If you get two Caiques they can keep each other company and unlike other species they won't bond only to each other and ignore you (generalization, but a strong one) like other species tend to do. And they are amazing to watch and interact with. Just my 2 cents.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
Welcome! What about a nanday conure? I have one, around a year old (sorry I'm a bit biased ;)). Nandays are very sweet birds, mine goes to almost anyone, is gentle but sassy, very playful, and a huge cuddle bug. He will roll on his back and play with my fingers. When he is in a really good mood, i can scoop him up and smother him with kisses and cuddles. He gives kisses, is potty trained, says "hi, step up, go poop" and whispers random gibberish. He also kisses his toys before he goes to sleep. Every bird is an individual, but nandays are known to be sweet little guys :). I second the caique and pionus suggestions :)

Most Reactions