idk how to make my budgie happy🥺

mie

Mar 31, 2023
Parrots
haru
heyy, i have a female budgie, her name is haru and she is 1 year old, I have had her for three months, when I adopted her she was in a place with terrible conditions and very scared, I went building our relationship little by little and I made mistakes that I regret like petting her tail, now she eats from my hand, asks me to scratch her neck and likes to play with my fingernail, she climbs on my hand or arm and when she gets out of the cage she tries to climb on my glasses or fix my eyebrow but I feel like a terrible owner because she doesn't seem to like being out of the cage very much and she still gets scared, I tried to build her a park with toothpicks but she got scared and didn't like it , (I'm currently building a pvc play gym for her and thinking of releasing her in another room bc my room it's kinda small), I feel terrible and I just want my baby to have fun, idk what else what to do and appreciate any answer🥺 (ooh she likes to come out of the cage when I put sounds of other budgies)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
heyy, i have a female budgie, her name is haru and she is 1 year old, I have had her for three months, when I adopted her she was in a place with terrible conditions and very scared, I went building our relationship little by little and I made mistakes that I regret like petting her tail, now she eats from my hand, asks me to scratch her neck and likes to play with my fingernail, she climbs on my hand or arm and when she gets out of the cage she tries to climb on my glasses or fix my eyebrow but I feel like a terrible owner because she doesn't seem to like being out of the cage very much and she still gets scared, I tried to build her a park with toothpicks but she got scared and didn't like it , (I'm currently building a pvc play gym for her and thinking of releasing her in another room bc my room it's kinda small), I feel terrible and I just want my baby to have fun, idk what else what to do and appreciate any answer🥺 (ooh she likes to come out of the cage when I put sounds of other budgies)
It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job with your little girl! She's lucky you adopted her. Just give her more time and she will come out of her cage more and more. Budgies are often reluctant to come out of their cages if they aren't let out often enough, so keep it up at least once a day for a couple hours if you can. She will see you more and more as her best friend and playmate.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
It sounds like you’re doing a great job trying! Just keep at it and be patient. Birds are often afraid of anything “new” they haven’t seen before and you have to give them time to learn it’s safe. So if you are making her toys and things it may not be that she doesn’t like them - they’re just new and scary for now. It can help to leave new objects laying out where they can see them from inside the cage and slowly become accustomed to their presence. Other times if your bird trusts you playing with new toys yourself while your bird is watching and making lots of “oooh how fun” sounds can help.

OP
mie

mie

Mar 31, 2023
Parrots
haru
It sounds like you're doing a fantastic job with your little girl! She's lucky you adopted her. Just give her more time and she will come out of her cage more and more. Budgies are often reluctant to come out of their cages if they aren't let out often enough, so keep it up at least once a day for a couple hours if you can. She will see you more and more as her best friend and playmate.
thank you very much, as soon as i finish the play gym i will play a lot more with her outside the cage, i'm afraid she's stressed bc today i spent the whole day with her but there weren't many play options so she looked bored, i hope things get better and she always gets more happy!!!! 😊

Last edited:
OP
mie

mie

Mar 31, 2023
Parrots
haru
It sounds like you’re doing a great job trying! Just keep at it and be patient. Birds are often afraid of anything “new” they haven’t seen before and you have to give them time to learn it’s safe. So if you are making her toys and things it may not be that she doesn’t like them - they’re just new and scary for now. It can help to leave new objects laying out where they can see them from inside the cage and slowly become accustomed to their presence. Other times if your bird trusts you playing with new toys yourself while your bird is watching and making lots of “oooh how fun” sounds can help.
thank u so much, as soon as I finish the play gym i will play a lot more with her, I'm afraid she is stressed bc today I spent the whole day with her but there weren't many play options so she looked bored, but there was a moment when i used your advice to play with one of her toys and she got interested and played along, i hope things get better and she gets more excited!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
thank you very much, as soon as i finish the play gym i will play a lot more with her outside the cage, i'm afraid she's stressed bc today i spent the whole day with her but there weren't many play options so she looked bored, i hope things get better and she always gets more happy!!!! 😊
As long as you spend time with her with her inside and outside the cage I wouldn't worry too much about her looking bored. She needs to learn to entertain herself to some extent and she will. When you aren't home during the day you should keep a radio on playing whatever kinds of music she seems to enjoy or if possible keep the television on so she can watch things like cartoons, nature shows or anything with lots of action and not just dialog like soap operas and talk shows. This will keep her mind engaged. She also needs more rest than many people think. Birds frequently take naps in the afternoon when it's the hottest outside, hiding in dense foliage to stay cool. I notice a definite pattern of visitation to my birds feeders outside with early morning and early evening before sunset being especially busy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts