If it's not one problem it's another.

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Hello everyone. I have just found out my two cats have flea's. I am sure that they can get on the bird so I want to attack this problem quickly as there is none on my bird.

First step was to give my cats a bath, and kill the majority of the flea's on them. Tomorrow I am going to Wal-Mart and getting the Flea Collar's and normal cat flea control products.

My concern is the area. My basement must be infested with flea's. I assuming it is because my cats have flea's and my wife ankles were being bitten up. I didn't believe her as I have not had ONE bite on me for the past two weeks this has been happening. I thought that she was having a reaction to something.

Now that I know I need to get this problem dealt with. I know I can use normal pesticides and I don't want to kill my bird. So what can I do? I know the normal stuff like washing the cloths and Vacuuming and making sure to clean up everywhere, but I am just concerned about my birds health and safety.

What can I spray or do to make sure it's not a huge problem? I don't know if this is a Big infestation, but I don't want it to become one. What can I do to my couch, cushions and bed safely that will kill the flea's and eggs? Trust me throwing my bed away is not an option (Like one website said to do):11:. I know that they can not live without their host and they need to have no food for a week, so I am hoping the flea collars and bath's will help. Thanks for your help guys!!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If you can treat with stuffs like frontline plus it will help you tremendously!!!! You can purchase the large thing of frontline plus for dogs in the red pack and measure to treat your cats by using .5 ml for each cat and store the excess in the glass medicine vile to keep for the next dose. Make sure you treat once a month. You need to let your cats dry for at least 24hrs before treatment. You can use dawn dish soap to bathe them and leave on for 5 min to kill off the fleas.

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
Jacob a sun conure who found me!
Do not use cheap stuff from walmart, get frontline, advantage or advantix nothing else.. Or it may not take or worse, some of the cheapo stuff causes burns cause of improper balance of chemicals. I was working for a petstore, I know this is true..
Beware - Hartz Flea and Tick Products - News - Bubblews

As for treating your house, go to lowes, you wanna get this:
Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

its natural, be careful though, keep the birds away from it, it can irritate the air ways.. And it dries out the skin, but it is natural.. SOAK your basement in it.. I lived at a place where we had bed bugs.. Twice the exterminators came, twice there was bed bugs.. two turns of this stuff and they were GONE.. I have reptiles and they tend to be sensitive too...

Good luck!!

OP
baron1282

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Thanks Mikey

I already got the shampooing and frontline treatment down. :p I am just wondering about the home treatment. I already cleaned the bedding area for each cat. I just need some advice on what to spray to kill everything else.

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
I'll agree with everyone else on the Frontline, etc., but you must remember to NOT handled your bird after handling your cat(s), FROM NOW ON, without thoroughly washing your hands.....that stuff will kill a companion bird.....

As to getting fleas out of carpet, rugs, from hardwood floors, etc., get yourself 6-8 new vacuum bags...to start with & get yourself a large package of Sevin Dust (be sure the pkg. mentions fleas) & turn off your A/C & running fans, vacuum all carpets, rugs & other floor4 areas, remove the vacuum bag & discard it...either in an outside bin or take it to a garbage disposal area...DON"T LEAVE IN THE HOUSE. Next, install a new vacuum bag, sprinkle the Sevin dust around, take a stiff bristled broom and drag it through the sprinkled material (I say drag rather than broom) so as to get a good spreading without aerating the dust. Once the initial dust has settled, you can turn your A/C and/or fans back on.....

Let that set for 48 hours, then vacuum & go through the same process as above.....the 3rd, 4th, 5th & any succeeding treatments can be on 72 hour separations.....the reason for all the treatments is to break the fleas life cycles & since each flea doesn't hatch at the same time you have to attack the various hatchings.....

Pigeon keepers & keepers of fancy show chickens even dust their birds with Sevin dust, to keep fleas & mites out of their aviaries & nest boxes.....

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
Hello everyone. I have just found out my two cats have flea's. I am sure that they can get on the bird so I want to attack this problem quickly as there is none on my bird.

First step was to give my cats a bath, and kill the majority of the flea's on them. Tomorrow I am going to Wal-Mart and getting the Flea Collar's and normal cat flea control products.

My concern is the area. My basement must be infested with flea's. I assuming it is because my cats have flea's and my wife ankles were being bitten up. I didn't believe her as I have not had ONE bite on me for the past two weeks this has been happening. I thought that she was having a reaction to something.

Now that I know I need to get this problem dealt with. I know I can use normal pesticides and I don't want to kill my bird. So what can I do? I know the normal stuff like washing the cloths and Vacuuming and making sure to clean up everywhere, but I am just concerned about my birds health and safety.

What can I spray or do to make sure it's not a huge problem? I don't know if this is a Big infestation, but I don't want it to become one. What can I do to my couch, cushions and bed safely that will kill the flea's and eggs? Trust me throwing my bed away is not an option (Like one website said to do):11:. I know that they can not live without their host and they need to have no food for a week, so I am hoping the flea collars and bath's will help. Thanks for your help guys!!

The only good thing about a flea collar is you can put it in your vacuum cleaner. I would vacuum everyday. Try advantage once a month. DE is good for the carpet.

Last edited:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Prior to us moving into our current home we've never had a flea problem. Once we moved in, it was flea galore....ALL my dogs were covered with fleas and with me being allergic to flea bites I still carry the scars on my legs from being bitten by them. So I ordered Frontline Plus asap, I noticed a difference in a week and I wasn't being bitten by fleas anymore. In a month, all fleas were gone! So we treat on a regular basis....

With me having allergies and such, plus with all the animals in the house I prefer not to use any chemical treatments inside the house, including sevin dust. Another thing your able to use is Borax. Just remember they can be harmful!

We've been flea free for over 6 years now as frontline saved us from being attacked by fleas. While waiting for my order to be rushed to me, I was picking off fleas off my dogs around 500+ per day, yes I count them...lol....IF you have bird feeders in your yard, either move them as far away as possible or get rid of them. They attract fleas and rodents.

OP
baron1282

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
I can get Frontline at my Wal-Mart that's why I am going. Cheaper than anywhere else. I was thinking about DE (food grade), but I wanted to make sure it was ok for birds. Being I live in a basement we have bug problems.

Last year I sprayed RAID and no problems, but now that I have the bird I can't spray RAID so I didn't use anything. Bugs have been bad, but whatever. So would DE be good for bug control? If I just used it around the corners and in the Drop Down Ceiling? I can sprinkle it all over on top of the tiles in the drop down. That is where most of the bugs come from.

As for Flea's this ain't my first Rodeo! I just wanted to make sure what I can use. So I wouldn't kill my bird. Thanks for all your help!!

Also my Vacuum is bagless, so all I got to do is empty it out outside. I was thinking of a flea collar, but more in likely I will use Frontline because it's a product I used for my outside cats and they never had flea's. I never used flea control on my cats I have now because they are indoor cats, but being we live out in the country and in a basement I should have known better. :-/

One of my poor cats have so many allergies that it cost me a ton to keep it under control. She does not need Flea's to go along with it, of course she is allergic to them too. :-/

OP
baron1282

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Well, first day of my combat tour against the flea's are a success. I went to Pet Smart and got the Frontline and a good flea comb. I came home and went to work with my cats. I gave them another bath (Much to their disappointment) and let them dry off.

I applied the Front Line and so far no more flea's. I found a few dead ones on them still, but I just combed them out.

The 2nd thing I have done was to take my bird to another part of the house upstairs in a small cage. Poor bird was left up there for 4 hours. :-/ It was for his own good.
I sprayed some RAID in only my bedroom area and bathroom area. I couldn't have more spiders drop down on my head while bathing (Yes, I am being literal).
I also sprayed one window that was closets to the Bathroom. I stayed a good Ten feet away from the cage. I also sprayed above the drop down ceiling, but not near his cage. So I should be ok with bugs!!

Believe it or not I could not find DE anywhere. I asked around and no one even new what I was talking about. So I thought I was saying it wrong and showed them my phone with the proper name. Still no dice. :-/

Anyway I have cleaned all the couch cushions covers by taking them off and putting them into the Landry. I have sprayed the cushions with a natural Citrus, as well as any bedding my cats used. I also vacuumed everywhere. I did throw in a flea collar into the chamber to kill flea's. Thanks for that tip!

Now I am finding Flea dust and trying to clean all of that. Nasty!! I am hoping I can kill them all and take their food source away fast. I know that they can not survive without food.

So before I brought my bird back down, I made sure it was all dry. The areas I sprayed and that I replaced his water and food. No chances even thou I was not close at all to his cage. I also showered before I touched him.

Also thanks for the tip! I did not think about handling the bird after petting my cats. Is this something I will have to do all the time? If I touch my cats I need to wash my hands? Or is this just when I apply the treatment and a few day after?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
You should always wash your hands before touching your birds!!!! That's why I keep sanitizer everywhere.

Ravennessa

Jun 22, 2013
Franklin Sq, NY
Parrots
Jacob a sun conure who found me!
I hope you succeed.. Next time, ask for pesticide control thats natural, then read the backside and you will see the DE hiding in there.. there's a ton of different brands so.. I hope you guys got rid of them.. If I were you repeat this in a week... And do this for once a week for the next two months.. You will be happy you did!! Wishing you best of luck!

OP
baron1282

baron1282

Oct 20, 2012
Well, I had enough of the all natural method of getting the flea's under control (it does not work). I went to Wal-Mart today (Not for flea stuff) to shop around for some food. I met a lady in the bird section (Small one) of wal mart that happens to live right next to me. She owns an African Gray and another smaller bird.

I talked to her and told her my flea problem and that I felt powerless because of the bird. The flea's were not as bad as they first were (So I guess it worked a little) but they were still around and biting my wife and I. I cleaned all my cloths and washed every inch of my apartment, and vacuumed every day. Still jumping on me, and believe it or not, my Cats! Even after using the Frontline they are still on my cats. Not as much, but still one is too much!! I use the flea comb and pick off two or three still. It's been way longer than the 48 hours they say it takes. So this week, I am going to the vet to get some kind of pills that can work in conjunction with the Frontline.

So long story short the lady told she had the same issue, but solved it fast with IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) spray. She took the birds up to the top floor of her home and sprayed the bottom. All the fleas were gone in one day and she took the birds back down in four hours no issues. I just finished spraying and now I will wait for it to dry. I sprayed my couch, my bed, my cat tree, and my rug. It said on the spray is safe for cats and dogs. I know that does not mean birds, but I hope this flea problem will go away now. I am tried of being bit up.

My only real concern is the IGR being able to soak into my Birds feet when walking on the couch. He loves watching TV with us, but being it says it's safe for pets after it dries it should be no problem. It did say on the bottle to remove pet birds and cover Fish Tanks (I have a 55 Gallon Saltwater Tank). It does say it's safe to uncover and return after it dries.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts